Author Topic: 3DMark 2006 Bench  (Read 3948 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: 3DMark 2006 Bench
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2009, 06:27:05 AM »
i honestly cant tell if you're kidding or you're serious. it seems i'll have to start ignoring your posts, as they are half flame-baiting and half ridiculously uneducated.
in your "real world," yes *nix has 0.8% market share, and the only OS is microsoft, and the only game is AH2. unfortunately, you'll have to look out of your limited perception of reality to objectively evaluate the hardware you are using. ;)

please stop crapping in my thread.

I'm sorry but you should instead explain what does your other games and/or OS'es have to do with AH of which this UBB is supposed to handle? When I said real world performance I meant it in context of gaming and AH.

Too bad you had to change subject and resort to personal attacks.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 07:33:16 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2009, 03:19:36 AM »
Shoot, if everything here HAS to be based on Windows/Aces High, somewhere around half of these discussions need to be nuked!

Also, it's generally better accepted to ask, "How well can this data apply to Aces High?" instead of saying "You're stupid for not taking all of these tests in the scope of Aces High. How does it even apply?"
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2009, 10:05:18 AM »
Shoot, if everything here HAS to be based on Windows/Aces High, somewhere around half of these discussions need to be nuked!

Also, it's generally better accepted to ask, "How well can this data apply to Aces High?" instead of saying "You're stupid for not taking all of these tests in the scope of Aces High. How does it even apply?"

Pfft I was asking about real world performance at which time he started ranting about GMP compilations etc. The truth is I said something that hit his nerve and it kicked him to a sidetrain.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2009, 06:43:24 PM »
Well after seeing the thread title I was expecting to see what I did, a 3DMark bench.

I rather doubt that most in here expect all threads to relate to AH only.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2009, 02:17:08 AM »
Well after seeing the thread title I was expecting to see what I did, a 3DMark bench.

I rather doubt that most in here expect all threads to relate to AH only.

shamus

Look man (and this will be my last comment on the subject). He shows off his 6-core AMD chip. I ask if the part will really be competitive against basic Intel chips in a real world scenario. The OP knew it was a hit under the belt. Cue sidetrack to gnu compilations and personal attacks.

This is what happened and thats the end of story as far as I go.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2009, 02:20:24 AM »
He answered to his best degree in saying that there isn't a suitable application to test it in the scenario you were asking about. At least that's how I read it. Then you started thumping on him as if he were dodging you.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2009, 06:03:49 AM »
i apologize to ripley for blowing a gasket. took me a couple days to fix the leak. re: *nix, if im not mistaken, the server side for AH2 runs on one, and i think we get our updates in tar.gz or .bz2, not sure. btw, somewhere near "real world applications," is i think where it got murky for me, since i don't "get" what your definition of it is. afaik, real world applications today use sse, sse2, sse3, sse4 and x86_64/Intel64 instruction sets, so we could use a more relevant benchmark instead of superpi(which uses less than 5% of your cpu core die to perform it). also, since you have a dual core and me a quaddie, i suggest we stick to a single threaded app to calculate pi. use y-cruncher(in single threaded test) for windows, or compile gmp-chudnovsky.c with gcc. i have a feeling linux will run faster in computing pi. feel free to post your results so we can compare. we can evaluate core-for-core performance at 3.2GHz, 2GHz uncore freq(or cpu-nb freq) and ddr3-1066 7-7-7-16. it may be a tad difficult to have the exact same memory specs but the closer we get the better. having different peripheral system hardware will skew our core-for-core comparison results, but hopefully should give us reliable data.

my 'puters been on the floor a while now and the little time off i had prior to this labor day weekend allowed me to do a little work. it is as of yet unfinished. the custom pcie bracket im making out of sheet metal is still in the garage.

also, in case y'all havent heard the news... more good things are coming our way 1Q 2010..

.. and now overclocked(ES is unlocked, but retail will be locked)

it uses DDR-3 in ECC mode..

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2009, 01:09:25 PM »

tinkered a little bit with the new board, comparing it to the ECS above.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 01:18:05 PM by skribetm »

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2009, 08:40:36 AM »
Skribetm - is the "case" you are using something you built, or purchased?  It looks like it's made out of acrylic.  If memory serves me correctly (and it might not in this case) untreated acrylic is horrific bad about building up static.  I'm assuming if you bought it, it's been treated.

Also, you might want to make sure that there is a grounding strap between at least the powersupply case and one of the motherboard standoffs, if it's something you built.   I can see from the earlier post that you live on the edge, but it's always frustrating to have something blow regardless of whether it's "My Precious" or "Just another toy".

All just FWIW and IMO, of course.

<S>!
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2009, 12:01:48 AM »
Skribetm - is the "case" you are using something you built, or purchased?  It looks like it's made out of acrylic.  If memory serves me correctly (and it might not in this case) untreated acrylic is horrific bad about building up static.  I'm assuming if you bought it, it's been treated.

Also, you might want to make sure that there is a grounding strap between at least the powersupply case and one of the motherboard standoffs, if it's something you built.   I can see from the earlier post that you live on the edge, but it's always frustrating to have something blow regardless of whether it's "My Precious" or "Just another toy".

All just FWIW and IMO, of course.

<S>!

i didn't know it had to be treated, thanks for the tip!  =P
its home-made, and i got the acrylic from some guy who made huge advertising signs out of it. i had 1/4" high rubber standoffs underneath it actually.
my problem with the set-up is the 4-pin cpu power socket on the board. it  :furious melted :furious while doing a mild wprime 1024 bench at 3.7/1.35(cpu) and 2.8/1.3(cpu-nb).
it's probably a fluke/mobo defect since the power draw wasnt even much. i still have to rma the board tomorrow and prolly sell the brand new one they give me back. i picked up the full-atx msi board instead.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2009, 12:10:33 AM »
That can happen if the connector was not properly plugged in. A bad connection will cause heat. Loosened connectors are a serious fire hazard in factories for example, which is why every year an inspection team will retighten all cable connections routinely.