Author Topic: Contollers quit working  (Read 537 times)

Offline swoose

• Copper Member
Contollers quit working
« on: December 01, 2008, 08:50:07 AM »
 Hi,
 I am having a problem with my controls. It seems like after an hour or so of playing my controls quit working in the game. I can go to the map controllers page and see the numbers changing for the controller but in the game they have no control. I usually have to relog and downlaod the map to the gear and run cm start. I then have to calibrate my controllers in the game to get everything working.
 I have all ch gear and when it works it works well. I have a seperate pci - usb card that I am running my gear through. Every other computer function seems ok and there doesn't seem to be an overheating problem.  Any help would be greately appreciated. Running xp sp2. Gigabytel mb,6750 cpu and 2 gig ram, 650 watt ps.
 Swoose<S>
Edit: I posted this in the hardware forum but feel like it belongs here. While playing last night the trackir quit working. I quit the game and checked it out with the trackir program and it was working fine. I also had a crash to the desktop while playing also. When the controls quit working I have gone to the control panel and checked them and they are recognized by windows and seem to be working fine. The strange thing is that when I go to the map controllers page the numbers miove as if the game is seeing the inputs. I am temporarily baffled. Thanks for the help. <S>

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
Re: Contollers quit working
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 09:19:49 AM »
Hi Swoose!

Just one thought about your controllers...
Have you checked to see if AH is somehow changing modes on you during flight?   You should see a message in the text window about "Setting mode 3" or whatever.  That can happen if you accidentally assign some keyboard command to the mode change function and you are executing that command forcing a mode change.  That would certainly cause your controllers to stop working if they are not defined in that mode.  The fact that you say they work correctly from the "map controllers" page inside the game proves that the hardware itself is working.  It really sounds like a mode problem to me.  As an experiment, you might try the "copy mode 1" feature to make all your other modes identical to mode 1 (aircraft mode).  Of course, if you are doing something different with mode 2 (ground vehicles) you might not want to copy that mode.

Sorry, don't have any other ideas right now.
-mark
The Hay Street Boys

Offline DustyR

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 07:09:06 AM »
Are you running your CH gear on a powered USB hub?  If not get one as the CH gear power requirements are right on the max for most USB computer ports. :noid :salute
Coal Country WV -- Home of the free ** because of the brave.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 07:33:48 AM »
Definately sounds like the USB ports are resetting during the game.  Not uncommon, as most computers have multiple USB external port connectors, but only one or two actual USB ports.  It is pretty easy to have too many devices plugged in and whne that happens, random resets of the USB port(s) occur due to too much power being drawn through the USB bus.

An externally powered USB hub will normally take care of that situation.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline swoose

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 09:37:13 AM »
 Thanks for the replies. I have a pci card with usb ports on it that I am running my gear through. I will try a powered hub and see if it helps. Seems like this was a problem when I was running my old Gateway too. Thought the new build would take care of it and it did for a while but I guess I have added too much usb stuff.
 Thanks again for the help.
 <S> Swoose

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 09:21:42 AM »
Pardon the resurrection, but I am having problems with my home built machine downstairs.

On the USB, I have a mouse, external wireless adapter and a joystick.

The game runs great on this box, but not long in to a sortie, the game starts ignoring my joystick.

Has anyone solved this problem with a powered USB hub?

Other that that, is it down to looking for an internal wireless card and a non-USB mouse?

On an upstairs machine, I only have the USB joystick and it works just fine.  It has a non-USB mouse and is plugged into the router.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 09:45:24 AM »
Powered USB boxes are the way to go. If your running USB off of the computer your using the powersupply line that the computer allows for the USB. If it uses to little, or your powersupply is on the edge ( due to an upgrade in video card but NOT the power supply) You WILL ruin into issues. Another thing to check is in the manager be sure to turn off "disable to save energy" stuff for the USB controllers and hubs.

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
Re: Contollers quit working - Solved between patch 3 and 6
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 12:23:19 PM »
My other computer having apparent hardware issues has brought me back to this machine.  It was on patch 3, and updated to patch 6.

No more loss of the joystick with no other change. 
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers