Author Topic: September FSO: Northern Star: Leningrad Front Spring 1942  (Read 3239 times)

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Re: September FSO: Northern Star: Leningrad Front Spring 1942
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2009, 10:22:23 PM »
I think unhistorical side balancing is necessary just so that everyone has a chance for combat.  I've flown in scenarios before where I spent two hours flying in circles waiting for the enemy to attack.  It's historical, it's realistic, but it's very, very boring.  FSO is a great event because you're almost guaranteed an opportunity for combat in the first hour.
Your right on the money. Unhistorical side balancing is often very necessary. I have experienced the same in scenarios, but they fill a niche for many players. As for FSO, that is one of the keys to its success IMHO. The very high opportunity for combat along side your squadies on a weekly basis.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Squire

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2009, 10:38:08 PM »
Well, for starters exact data about any specific type of Allied a/c to the Soviet Union is typically very hard to come by, if not downright impossible, so I would wonder when you say "no Hurricane Mk IICs" exactly what your definitive source for that is. The VVS received, and this is by post was documentation, some 1130 Mk IICs during the war. Secondly, and this needs to be understood for a variety of types; SEA events typically have to rely on sub varients to fill in gaps in the plane set. Would I like Hurricane IIBs? sure, would I like the converted Hurricane IIB with the 23mm and 12.7mm? yes, but I dont have them to work with. So we make due.

The problem with moving the time period, lets say we were...to late 1942 is this; we dont have, as yet in AH, a domestic VVS a/c like the Yak-1, MiG-3 or LaGG-3. We would have to use all Lend-Lease types to counter the 109Gs and Fw190s et al, and im not so fond of that idea. So, that leaves us with a mid 1943+ set, which includes the Yak-9T, LA-5FN, ect, or we go into 1944-45 with LA-7 and Yak-9U, vs the usuall types of Luftwaffe rides. I have run both those before; "Summer Storm", and "Dogs of War".

So, back to this setup. I had to try and find a time period that did two things. Firstly, to use the I-16 in large #s, as well as the B-239 Why? because FSO is about variety, and these types we have not had in AH untill just the last update. This is the very first FSO either has been used. So, I have to say what time period and region can I get these two fighters in there, and have other a/c as well to help fill them out? that brings us to something post 1941 invasion, but not so far into 1942 that we don't end up with the I-16 dodging Fw190s that zoom past it like it was a truck at a four way stop.

Thus, the setup we have. 1942, before summer, in a region which included the Finns. The next time I run EF, it will likely be somewhere in 1943-45, again, for variety.

Regards.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 11:05:54 PM by Squire »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2009, 11:06:32 PM »
Hey, I don't totally disagree with you...limited plane types forces the use of different equipment.

I stand corrected...my apologies
Since the time line is as you specified (Spring 1942) the 109E and F series is correct...the G series didn't arrive until later...and the 190s didn't start arriving until 1943.

There are considerable numbers of differing documentation on exactly how many and what type of Hurricanes the Russians received...no idea why that is...probably due to the shipping loses in transit...but pretty much the line is Hurricane MkIIb and P-40s until summer 1942 when "modified" Hurricanes were deployed to combat.

jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Squire

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2009, 11:40:09 PM »
Or, I could have run it with I-16s and a late 1942 setup, but then its "I-16 (min 24)" where its a minority type, but thats not what I had in mind. Yes, the OOBs for Russian a/c are not easy to get, and there are many conflicting sources. I cant say all the ones I have are proof positive 100 percent correct either, sometimes you just go with what  you have, and try to get something that works. I certainly always had it in mind to limit the Hurricanes, which is why they are capped at 24 per frame, as well as the other types. Its a design decision to include them, next time I could leave them out, or not. It all depends on the mix.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24