Author Topic: My brain is full  (Read 536 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
My brain is full
« on: July 09, 2009, 01:59:13 AM »
Been studying for the CPA exam 10 - 14 hours a day. Went to bed at 4 a.m last night. When I woke up I wasn't in the mood. Still have so much studying to do. Back to it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: My brain is full
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 02:03:57 AM »
I can't recall knowing anyone for whom exercise during study breaks wasn't helpful.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 02:08:48 AM »
I can't recall knowing anyone for whom exercise during study breaks wasn't helpful.

Was just thinking about that. Tomorrow, exercise. Good advice.

At times I get sooooo consumed by one particular task I can't seem to pull away from it and everything else goes by the way side. When I start to watch recorded tv, I find myself pausing it to study, when I do dishes, they only get half done before I'm back at it. Sometimes it's just difficult to even call my family.

Tomorrow, I'm out and exercising. Will make some calls while I walk.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 02:13:15 AM by Getback »

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 02:15:25 AM »
Sounds like me.  Don't skimp on sleep.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 10:47:39 AM »
Absolutely. Sleep is the key.

There's no point learning anything if you're too tired to get it out of your head when it counts. Try to keep your body clock in order.

The worst thing you can do is be sitting in an exam when your body is in the rhythm of think it should be asleep at that time.

I don't know about you guys but my brain works like bollocks if I am usually asleep at that time and had to get up early.

I've found life much easier since I've been forcing myself to be in bed by midnight at the latest this semester. It was the biggest workload I've ever had combined with the number of hours I am doing at work. 7 days a week of either work or uni or both.... I just couldn't keep doing the late nights of study/procrastination/stuffing about.

You're better off hitting the books until it's time to get to bed... get as close to 8 hours sleep as you can, get up, do some exercise, grab a hot shower and eat a good, healthy breakfast.... then hit the books hard. I'm in the middle of my mid-year holiday at the moment and I've just started exercising again... I was really slack last semester.... no exercise... ate nothing but rubbish. Not good. I'm going to have to do better next semester.

Only productive hours of study count. I've found that out the hard way.... I ended up with a real mountain of work to do at the last minute last semester. I stuff around too much at home, so I'm going to have to lock myself away in the library with some ambient music on the ipod.

4 hours of work in that setting was equal to at least 2 days of work at home for me. I'm shocking.

A guy whom I worked for about 5 years ago had the attitude to uni/college nailed. "Treat school as a 9-5 job..." "It doesn't matter if you've only got one class that day, there is always something you could be doing." If you've got the dedication to do it and your working commitments allow, he's dead right. The only way to guarantee top grades is to put in the hard hours.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 11:01:50 AM by Xasthur »
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 11:59:25 AM »
Or to be shockingly handsome and charm the smart chicks into doing your work in exchange for gently patting them on the head.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 12:07:30 PM »
Full 8 hours sleep then study then exercise. Interesting how much or your study work you can start comprehending while your exercising. While your working out you'll tend to think about what you have covered in your earlier study session.

Oh BTW Good Luck!
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 04:36:34 PM »
Sleep's great for studying  (you can concentrate on studying, and not how tired you are).  I've found when actually taking an exam (1-2 hour long ones, so the CPA might be a completely different animal) that minimal sleep is required...  Yes, it's always best to have some.  Just remember that your brain will function for a few hours after you wake up even if your body won't.  You'll crash in the early afternoon and have a horrible day, but it won't affect your test negatively. 

The big trick is making sure you don't wind up sleeping through alarm clock and the test.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline ariansworld

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 07:07:37 PM »
When you become a CPA you become a mega penny pincher.  Anyhow good luck with the exam.

Arian

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 04:01:35 AM »
Sleep, exercise and a few hours of not thinking about studying at all is what i found best. Listen to music, go out for a coffe, watch a movie, meet friends (do not talk studies) or do anything other than school stuff. The brain likes a timeout.

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 01:46:23 PM »
Or to be shockingly handsome and charm the smart chicks into doing your work in exchange for gently patting them on the head.
That only happens in Japan. Or those Japanese comics.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 04:06:59 PM »
Hehe.  If you say so.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 02:21:50 PM »
Just finished my 27th chapter, only 28 to go. ugh! Hopefully they will go faster than FAR (Finance and Reporting) and Auditing.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 02:45:46 PM »
Now I understand why bean counters have the OC personalities of an old school dibol programmer...brain dead before they even get started.

Good luck man...  :salute
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett