Author Topic: Mercury found in all fish caught in U.S.-tested streams  (Read 530 times)

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
Re: Mercury found in all fish caught in U.S.-tested streams
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 04:21:59 PM »
That is a pretty wide ranging time frame on such a small amount of streams...besides what really is a stream? Some streams here in the Southeastern US would be considered rivers in other parts of the country/world.

I typically don't get too fired up about things anymore, but this sort of pseudo-science perpetrated on the tax-payer dime is an exception.  Having been part of some GAO "findings", I'm extremely suspicious of any type of "research" done by governmental agencies.  At its inception, this project was probably some sort of earmark funded by an appropriations bill that was, in essence, a means to create and sustain a half-dozen government jobs at some USGS office close to the "streams" studied.  The truly frustrating thing to me is that some reporter for USA Today just basically repeats the findings verbatim, without actually doing a story on how the data was collected, where it was collected, etc.  The title alone is extremely poor from a journalistic perspective, unless you simply want to catch someone's eye with a shocking headline.

EDIT:  Here's an interesting quote from the Briefing Summary of that document the news article cites:  "A trend analysis of data for 90 streams in a national fish mercury database (http://emmma.usgs.gov/) showed that mercury in fish generally decreased from 1969 to 1987."
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 04:45:17 PM by Stoney »
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 05:06:14 PM »
Funny thing is,

I sincerely doubt most of you could find mercury on this periodic table without help from google......

...nor tell anyone why it is so deadly.  But yet, you can spout off some BS why not to take this seriously, because those "crazy scientists" are at it again. 
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 05:18:12 PM »
Funny thing is,

I sincerely doubt most of you could find mercury on this periodic table without help from google......

(Image removed from quote.)

...nor tell anyone why it is so deadly.  But yet, you can spout off some BS why not to take this seriously, because those "crazy scientists" are at it again. 

Hg on the table, and its a neuro-toxin when sufficient quantities build up in your body.  Anything else smart-guy?
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 05:23:53 PM »
Mercury also has a fairly low boiling point.

Cook your fish well and just don't breathe the vapors.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2009, 05:25:13 PM »
EDIT:  Here's an interesting quote from the Briefing Summary of that document the news article cites:  "A trend analysis of data for 90 streams in a national fish mercury database (http://emmma.usgs.gov/) showed that mercury in fish generally decreased from 1969 to 1987."

Yes, that dose bring up a crap load of quesions.  

90 streams where tested. How?
Where are these streams?  
How much runoffs from indutral, roads, towns do these 90 stream recived?  
How long did they collect data from each stream?
Did they just did one sample from each stream, or a serious of sample along the stream.  
If one sample was collected, when and where?  
Was the sample done when stream was at high levals from rain, melting snow caps, or was it done at low leveals.
At sampling point(s), was there any construction, accendent done up stream in the pass that leads to contanumation?
At any of these streams, if these a wast water treatment up stream that may contaminate the stream?

Thats just scraping the surface of the questions.  The general public wont even think most, if any at all, of these question but just take the facts as to what they read.  Good find on the site stoney.   :aok  Like you, i don't get to crazy about government reports too.  I used to work for the USDA and if anything i don know about how they work, i do know that half of the studies are a wast of tax payers money.  They get way to technical from start to end and accomplished vary little out of it.  
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Selino631

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2009, 10:39:45 PM »
yea i live less then 15mins away from teh Shenedoah river in Northern Virginia and the river is polluted with mercury
OEF 11-12

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 01:24:19 AM »
There is mercury in my Johnson and that hasnt stopped any of the ladies from.......oh, nevermind.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 06:51:12 AM »
There is mercury in my Johnson and that hasnt stopped any of the ladies from.......oh, nevermind.

Mercury injections for the clap huh?  Should watch where ya dip your wick....
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"