Author Topic: Need a cheap video card?  (Read 426 times)

Offline batch

• Nickel Member
Need a cheap video card?
« on: August 29, 2009, 07:43:11 PM »
For anyone still needing to upgrade their video card and dont have much money to do so, go check out Newegg........ while supplies last they have an Asus 9600GSO which isnt a bad little card for $35 after the rebate
"theres nothin like wakin up with a Dickens Cider" - Dickens Fruit Stand

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
Re: Need a cheap video card?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 07:55:23 PM »
how does that compare to a NVIDIA  GeForce 7300GS ??

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline danny37

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 11:01:32 PM »
how does that compare to a NVIDIA  GeForce 7300GS ??
its a little better but not all that much.as has been stated in other threads with vid cards you can go by the 2nd number
7300gs=low end
9600gso=mid range
9800gt=high end
i had the nvidia 8300gs and my fps were between 12-40 depending on what i was doing,thats with detailed terrain checked only
so i got the 9800gt and have all detail in advanced settings checked and maxed and get 59-65 fps.
im sure the 9600gso is a good card and for that money a good buy,but its still not going to play ah2 all that well.
i would suggest if your going to spend the money for a new card get one thats gonna do the job and not disapoint your expectations.
newegg has a ton of deals if you just look through their site for a while and im sure you colud find a lot better card for not much more money.
most of them do have rebates but imo its just worth it to spend $20-$40 more to get the high end card. :salute

Offline batch

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 11:11:13 PM »
but its still not going to play ah2 all that well.

Thats very incorrect......... I know several people who have the game maxed using an 8400GS

A 9500GT smokes the game max settings max framerates

9600GSO will run the game just fine

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 12:29:35 AM »
Thats very incorrect......... I know several people who have the game maxed using an 8400GS

A 9500GT smokes the game max settings max framerates

9600GSO will run the game just fine

I have to agree,  I was running a 9500GT that was handling things pretty nicely.  Not fully maxxed, but pretty good.  Unfortunately, my card was one of those lemon BFG brand cards, you the ones where the fan doesn't work right...  Anyway, fan quit...  And the smoke genie was released.

Got a pretty good price on an EVGA 9800 GTX+ from Newegg...  Running AH fully maxxed out now.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 09:31:24 AM »
I generally go by benchmarks to determine what runs the game fine.  I've found over the years that lots of people's opinion when it comes to running a game 'just fine' can vary greatly.  There are those that think 20-30 FPS is fine and then there are those who can't stand anything below 60 FPS.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 09:42:39 AM »
I generally go by benchmarks to determine what runs the game fine.  I've found over the years that lots of people's opinion when it comes to running a game 'just fine' can vary greatly.  There are those that think 20-30 FPS is fine and then there are those who can't stand anything below 60 FPS.

:aok
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 07:00:53 PM »
 I have a 7300GS and 2 gigs of ram and average about 30 FPS  with detailed terrain and water checked.  It does have some issues though.  I have been looking at upgrades but some ppl have said that i need to upgrade my RAM and some have said i need to upgrade the video card.  :huh

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline batch

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 07:03:21 PM »
If you got 2G then you got plenty of ram......... upgrade the VC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 07:36:40 PM »
I have a 7300GS and 2 gigs of ram and average about 30 FPS  with detailed terrain and water checked.  It does have some issues though.  I have been looking at upgrades but some ppl have said that i need to upgrade my RAM and some have said i need to upgrade the video card.  :huh

Depends on your MB, CPU, etc.   A lot of factors play into a "balanced system".   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC