Author Topic: It ain't the graphics that are bad, its the way the game is made  (Read 11998 times)

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
Re: It ain't the graphics that are bad, its the way the game is made
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2009, 03:55:26 PM »
The word is spelled: "klutz."

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2009, 03:58:30 PM »
Don't deuce me dude
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2009, 04:03:50 PM »
Yes, that compares quite well to national-level executive policy decisions that effect millions upon millions of people  :rofl

My point is that claiming that somebody's argument is inherently invalid because they are not an industry expert in what is being discussed is a sham argument. By that logic, since you are not an MMO development expert, your input on the topic is likewise invalid, rendering either of your claims worthless, and putting you on equal footing with somebody who is a troll.

I don't think I need to say why you don't want to do that.

Well if one of my parts fail in one of the plants..... say... Bayer, there is a chance that possibly 100,000 or many more may perish. On the other hand if my part does not fail they go on with their lives. Multiply this with all the parts in all the plants.....Sooo yes I'd say it affects quite a few.

Now throw in the armor on many of the humvees in use in the war... hmmm

Now throw in the equipment and part for Stewart & Stevensen... I guess it could affect millions.

But like I said... not even close to the same thing.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2009, 04:09:06 PM »
DDMD

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2009, 05:29:08 PM »
Now things have not really changed since the days I have first started playing online games, and are very much the same for almost all genera of games.

Hey, I emphatically agree with HT this time. :)  I get frustrated with the arenas from time to time, but I know the stuff that bugs me has existed since before AH was released.

When you first start out in a game like AH, almost every minute is a peak experience.  After a while, you have those peak experiences every couple hours.  Then it's every couple sessions, then weeks, etc.  Until you back off and take a break.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2009, 06:49:20 PM »
Anax/Moray.

The critical failure of the OP is that it puts the blame on HTC for the players' behavior.  HTC doesn't make people gang bang and use DoS (as it were) tactics.  HTC doesn't deny people freedom of gameplay but instead encourages better gameplay.  e.g. ENY, arena caps.   To blame HTC for kill stealing, etc, is ridiculous, and a totally different thing from denouncing same gameplay itself.

<snip>

This isn't how I interpreted the OP's post. 

Further down, he posted something very telling. 

Assertion:  vets are leaving

Reason:  NOT because of the graphics; because of the gameplay

Assertion:  HTC is focusing on fixing the graphics.  This isn't what's driving people (vets?) away from the game, therefore this isn't the best place to spend resources.

I invested about 2-3 years in this game.  Not enough to be a "vet", but long enough to get what the game was about.

I left about 3 months ago.  I did not leave because I couldn't stand the graphics.  I left because I couldn't stand the gameplay.

Do I blame HTC for this?  Doggone right I do!  HTC makes the game.  The game drives gameplay.  HTC can't stop players from being dweeby.  He CAN create a framework that discourages dweeby behavior.

The game, the framework in which we play, drives behavior. 

If you're asking me what HTC should do to make the game better, I say, "does it matter what I think?"

The OP makes several valid points.  They're unfortunately getting lost in the uproar. 
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline blutic

• Copper Member
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2009, 07:08:33 PM »
I am playing on a machine that is about 8 years old. :( The only thing I have done is added some RAM and with every update it runs better. ( I haven't tried 8 yet)
But if I had 10 guys chasing me, I would love to tune in on their vox. It might go something like this.
Pilot 1: Hey that blutic down there, who wants him?
Pilot 2: Not me I killed him last time.
Pilot 3: I'm not blowing my "E" to get him.
Pilot 4: Let the new guy get him.
Pilot 1: Never mind he just crashed into a barn.

I have been playing this game a while, and I still love it. WTG HTC!

<S>
This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.—Dwight Eisenhower, April 16, 1953

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2009, 07:17:44 PM »
This isn't how I interpreted the OP's post.  

Further down, he posted something very telling.  

Assertion:  vets are leaving

Reason:  NOT because of the graphics; because of the gameplay

Assertion:  HTC is focusing on fixing the graphics.  This isn't what's driving people (vets?) away from the game, therefore this isn't the best place to spend resources.

I invested about 2-3 years in this game.  Not enough to be a "vet", but long enough to get what the game was about.

I left about 3 months ago.  I did not leave because I couldn't stand the graphics.  I left because I couldn't stand the gameplay.

Do I blame HTC for this?  Doggone right I do!  HTC makes the game.  The game drives gameplay.  HTC can't stop players from being dweeby.  He CAN create a framework that discourages dweeby behavior.

The game, the framework in which we play, drives behavior.  

If you're asking me what HTC should do to make the game better, I say, "does it matter what I think?"

The OP makes several valid points.  They're unfortunately getting lost in the uproar.  
Geez is it dweeb moron Wednesday? The come out of the woodwork like cockroaches.

You and others like you would have stopped playing regardless of reason...if it wasn't the "gameplay" it would have been because you were tired of getting your butt kicked by someone better...or boredom...or some other nameless reason...you would have pulled a reason out of your rectum and then had the gall to blame it on "the game" or HTC.

If one of you "experts" can come up with a real life tried and true method to dictate how hundreds of people interactively play a game with each other at the exact same time without stepping on someones screwed up ideals about how "the game should be played" go for it...especially a flight sim or first person shooter...I dare ya. I can tell you how it would work here...1 plane type and a whole bunch of 1v1 arenas with no objectives except to shoot down the other plane...and most of those arenas would be empty...oh that sounds like fun...yeah buddy you betcha.

Here's some flying games you might like and they're free...have at it:
Awesome Dweeb Flying Games

If you're that much of an expert in "how the game should be played"...grab the rest of your whiner girlfriends and pool your money together, then create your own massive multiplayer flight sim. You can shag each other in the virtual skies your way for as long as you want then.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:20:45 PM by gyrene81 »
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2009, 07:35:54 PM »
Clutz,

I've been playing since I used to borrow DAMND Slidr's account on Genie 1989 orf so. I think slidr is dead now. I watched the feilds in AW go from numbers and 16 colors to names with 3D colors and stopped playing in 99 to come back late 02 or early 03. Over all these years people have come and gone. People in real life come and go also. To accusse anything of not changing is realy to show your audience how much you resist and dislike change in your own life. Everything changes and we fool ourselves thinking we can control the outcome. Why then are you trying to make this community of customers and HiTech responsible for your unhappiness with the change you perceive?

I've been playing so long that I know the game today will not be the same game tomorrow, or even an hour from now. My condolences for the loss of all your old comerades who helped give you a sense of fun and your style of game play in this game. Being the old hand you have presented yourself as, isn't it now your turn to start giving back and help those who you decry to learn how to fight in the interesting manner you say has gone away with CHANGE?

Play long enough and your squad will start calling you grandpaw like mine does...........do you remember what a joke the early Yak9 was in AW clutz......
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Clutz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #99 on: August 26, 2009, 07:42:31 PM »
I need to learn how to quote

« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:46:07 PM by Clutz »

Offline Clutz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2009, 07:50:09 PM »
Clutz: I have no idea if you know my credentials or not. A very brief list.

I do have an idea about you credentials dear sir, and I mean the term "sir" in a respectful way. I really do. I have always presumed your passion for aircraft is at the very heart of how this game we play came into existence. I respect this. If there is one thing I respect more than anything else about this game, it is this very thought. You are the creator.

I can not merge my airplane. If I do, simple fact is, I will surely die. I have read previously that this game, and this is a paraphrase quote from you, is a "flight sim". Well, it ain't that now. It is a game similar to one of my first digital game experiences, back in 1976 or so, and that is the game of Invaders. Nothing but stuff vertically dropping out of the sky.

I spent another 3 hours online and could not fight my airplane. It is as simple as that. For instance, I found a p51. I know good and well there were 10 others behind him, so I tried to drag him out for a fight. I think I have drug him out far enough, but no, he is a better pilot I am, and it will take some time to fight this guy. Next thing I know, very typical, here come 10 red guys chasing me. I have no choice but to run back home. He chases me a bit, then next thing you know, there are 10 green guys chasing the P51 I wanted to fight. This is not fun.

It's not fun, its a wast of time. Every single fight I tried to find wound up in nothing but this same sort of stupidity.

Where is the integrity of the game/flight sim you started off to build?  

Players are dwindling, I speculate. I heard a guy today on vox and he mentions he is broke and he is trying to decide if he wants to keep cable TV, or internet so he can play aces high. Well, if his flights were the same as mine were today, I would suggest cable TV. It's just food for thought. My prospective.

I can not fight my airplane. That is what I want. I do not want to go to the DA. I want to fight in the wonderful virtual atmosphere of the unknown that exists only from an online game. However, I do want a reasonable fight. Not stupidity and hours wasted of wasted time. Once again, just food for thought. It is your game. I love the airplanes and the thrill of a good fight. Nothing else.

How about a Mundane Monday? Maybe a new style of map. Anything, just throw us old dog fighters a bone. Would it not be a good thing to keep those like me around a bit longer? There are others out there like me. I know so. We search the map and look for a reasonable fight and can not find one.

Ya know, to sum up, as far as fighting the aircraft you have made, they are so very complex, I will never get board of them. Never. This is what irritates me. I love the aircraft, but I want an environment in which to use them, for fun, not stupidity.

Mundane Mondays. A new style map! LoL :) You are a good guy, and as I have said, I respect you immensely.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:55:16 PM by Clutz »

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2009, 07:51:44 PM »

I still can't believe he plays WoW
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2009, 08:18:44 PM »
I do have an idea about you credentials dear sir, and I mean the term "sir" in a respectful way. I really do. I have always presumed your passion for aircraft is at the very heart of how this game we play came into existence. I respect this. If there is one thing I respect more than anything else about this game, it is this very thought. You are the creator.

I can not merge my airplane. If I do, simple fact is, I will surely die. I have read previously that this game, and this is a paraphrase quote from you, is a "flight sim". Well, it ain't that now. It is a game similar to one of my first digital game experiences, back in 1976 or so, and that is the game of Invaders. Nothing but stuff vertically dropping out of the sky.

I spent another 3 hours online and could not fight my airplane. It is as simple as that. For instance, I found a p51. I know good and well there were 10 others behind him, so I tried to drag him out for a fight. I think I have drug him out far enough, but no, he is a better pilot I am, and it will take some time to fight this guy. Next thing I know, very typical, here come 10 red guys chasing me. I have no choice but to run back home. He chases me a bit, then next thing you know, there are 10 green guys chasing the P51 I wanted to fight. This is not fun.

It's not fun, its a wast of time. Every single fight I tried to find wound up in nothing but this same sort of stupidity.

Players are dwindling, I speculate. I heard a guy today on vox and he mentions he is broke and he is trying to decide if he wants to keep cable TV, or internet so he can play aces high. Well, if his flights were the same as mine were today, I would suggest cable TV. It's just food for thought. My prospective.

I can not fight my airplane. That is what I want. I do not want to go to the DA. I want to fight in the wonderful virtual atmosphere of the unknown that exists only from an online game. However, I do want a reasonable fight. Not stupidity and hours wasted of wasted time. Once again, just food for thought. It is your game. I love the airplanes and the thrill of a good fight. Nothing else.

How about a Mundane Monday? Maybe a new style of map. Anything, just throw us old dog fighters a bone. Would it not be a good thing to keep those like me around a bit longer? There are others out there like me. I know so. We search the map and look for a reasonable fight and can not find one.

Ya know, to sum up, as far as fighting the aircraft you have made, they are so very complex, I will never get board of them. Never. This is what irritates me. I love the aircraft, but I want an environment in which to use them, for fun, not stupidity.

Mundane Mondays. A new style map! LoL :) You are a good guy, and as I have said, I respect you immensely.

Strange thing I have been hearing from the customer base that people are leaving in droves for the last 10 years. I.E. Like I said before, people are saying the exact same thing as you for more than 20 years.

Do you have any idea how you try to use the term "Flight Sim" but then ignore the real facts of how a battle in the real world of WWII would be? You want a 1v1, that did not happen very often in the real world, so once again your supposition disproves what you are trying to prove.

It is simple, you are not happening playing the game, then leave. Sorry I am not going to completely change the game format just so YOU alone could be happy.

HiTech

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2009, 08:24:38 PM »
.... and Dale means that in a very nice way.....   :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2009, 08:26:37 PM »
I can not merge my airplane.
I spent another 3 hours online and could not fight my airplane. This is not fun.

I can not fight my airplane. That is what I want. I do not want to go to the DA. I want to fight in the wonderful virtual atmosphere of the unknown that exists only from an online game. However, I do want a reasonable fight. Not stupidity and hours wasted of wasted time.

Clutz your are totally amazing...early war sits nearly empty...mid war has enough players to find a 1v1 fight pretty easily...yet you want to complain to the owner of the game you supposedly enjoy so much, about how over 300 other people are playing against your desires for a fight.

You sir have an amazing amount of testicular fortitude...it's too bad you're desire for adventure and the "thrill of the fight" doesn't allow your common sense to steer you into an arena that may or may not have the exact plane of your choice...are you afraid of being outclassed? What exactly is it that keeps you and others who may feel the same indignity as yourself out of arenas that surely have the player base to cater to your desires? Lack of uber planes perhaps? Maybe a greater skill set in the players who do hang out in the early or mid war arenas...not enough noobs to pick?

jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett