Author Topic: Dueling Arena squads disbanded  (Read 8646 times)

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
Re: Dueling Arena squads disbanded
« Reply #225 on: September 28, 2009, 08:13:55 AM »
Fly which ever you want to fly.I fly lots of DA,I like 1v1's against people who are considered to be the best or near best at their favorite a/c. I do fly the main arenas some but really don't care for it,seems to be a lack of actual engagements and more about
preserving one's score.Theyre are a few exceptions of course,but generally you'll find large groups of players and pickers bragging about how their greatness.I always laugh when I see some idiot type out "well it took 5 of you to get me". You used to could pick up some good 1v1's,but that was way back when.

To qoute a friend of mine when he said " I fly to learn and feel something as close as I can to the golden age of aerial combat"

Each arena has it pixil heros' and theyre are good at what they do. I really don't know if the level of skill has come up or gone down,depends on who you talk to,but you will find very few who can be equally deadly in any a/c that theyre in.

CRETON

I've heard the same quote from 1 person on the game and I agree.  I'm not going to call out any names but he is dedicated to flying a plane at it's peek without any stalling.  He's a great stick and I see him at being one of the best sticks in the game because of his dedication to the TA.  I tell you one thing Creton your deadly in your K4  :salute
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #226 on: September 28, 2009, 08:23:49 AM »
Fly for fun! In my humble opinion, it does not matter which arena your in, FUN FUN FUN isnt this the reason we play? I have had the pleasure of flying with many of the people listed in this thread, If you are so fear full that someone is ruining your fun take a BREAK from the game! Then come back and have fun when you realize that the game has changed and adapt to it.

I have fought the hordes and won, then again i have lost also. It is how you deal with it.

<S> to Creton for flying with me the other day. Great time sir!

A fun suggestion for the furball lake would be daily flight set up, like f4u's one day, or spits or 109's. Just pick a plane set and set a alt cap. I think this would be fun :aok

Aces High can you make this happen?  I always have said the Furball would be alot more fun if everyone was in the same plane and we have on occasion when only a few is on done a tbm furball.  You would definently become a better 1on1 fighter that way.  You could set A1 A2 and A3 up to only fly 109's this week and f4u's the next week ect. ect.  I'm all 4 it.  I'll even start a Petition with the majority of the flyers if thats what it takes.  Great idea Cowboy  :salute  Also alt cap would be extremely nice say 10k cap that would pretty much stop the base vulching. 
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #227 on: October 06, 2009, 01:17:39 AM »
And that IS the rule of the day in the DA Lake, it's the score that matters :aok But over time, in the MA at least, EVERYone knows who the good sticks are, although there often is no quantifiable way of measuring it
There is no score in the DA . No ranking . It would seem you don't understand the DA that well . I fly and enjoy both . I have noticed a few things about score though . Some people in MA think it really marks the better pilots , not in my experience . The lack of it makes some uber picker Tempest guys , or guys that fly the brew with help nearby think they are good . Few of either type will duel for any reason .

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #228 on: October 06, 2009, 07:43:59 PM »
There is no score in the DA . No ranking . It would seem you don't understand the DA that well . I fly and enjoy both . I have noticed a few things about score though . Some people in MA think it really marks the better pilots , not in my experience . The lack of it makes some uber picker Tempest guys , or guys that fly the brew with help nearby think they are good . Few of either type will duel for any reason .
BS--ALL those guys religiously go to 'roster' and right-click to see their stats, (and then brag about them) and they are ALL pizzed off when they lose their precious 'kills' when HT resets it every few months
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #229 on: October 06, 2009, 09:01:40 PM »
In all fairness to the regular DA guys, there are a few really good flyers in there. As for the rest, they're just trying to get some kills. I can't down them for that. Although I have in the past.
I've came to the conclusion that it's up to me to keep my head on a swivel, shoot fast and shoot true because I may only get one chance at the bandit before 3 or 4 spits, 4hogs or tempests swoop down on me. I think that it keeps me on my toes and better prepared for about anything the MA can throw at me.
I can work on 20 or 30 overshoots in the DA where it might take me several hours to get that much practice in in the main arena. Just my .02 cents.  :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #230 on: October 07, 2009, 08:20:46 PM »
With all due respect bj, those score lookers are almost always fairly new pilots (and therefore socially inept with regard to what one should and shouldn't talk about over the text box)...its the rookies and they get their fair share of grief from the DA regulars who couldn't care less about their scores.  I know you have plenty of experience in there but that statement is over the top.  In my everyday experience in there, the REGULAR guys care that they get picked on their way home carrying victories and complain about that....but they couldn't care less about their overall score. :salute

V/r

Changeup
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 08:22:52 PM by Changeup »
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #231 on: October 07, 2009, 10:29:35 PM »
Ahh this topic has come up again... sheesh. Typically I try to land any sorties I get with multiple kills, especially if the fight is going downhill (i.e., if either side is hording). If there's good fights to be had, I usually stay in until bingo ammo/fuel or I die. It's kind of a symbolic gesture along the lines of "this is what I would do if I were in the MA", good practice for area-wide SA.

That said, I don't really care about my DA score. I kept track at first to kind of measure my progress, finally breaking 1.0 KD ratio as a huge sign I was getting better. This was useful and important to me for a time, but again mainly as a measure of progress. I never bragged about it, nor did I see any reason to.

Once I got and maintained 1.0 KD easily (90+% with UnPerked planes) and once I actually fought a few bonafide duels in the DA, I started caring about score a lot less. In those duels, you die a lot. You also bail and reup quite often. I've also bailed to save time when nothing was at stake (wanted to get into a fight w/o first landing a plane, etc).

All these things skew the score, which is why I no longer care about it. It no longer measures my progress, and having flown a lot more MA with JG11, I can say that DA score isn't really a good proxy for MA score even without the aforementioned skewing factors. Not saying one is better than the other, the environment is just different.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 10:36:41 PM by boomerlu »
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #232 on: October 08, 2009, 10:11:29 AM »
My question..... how many kills did you get that were the other guy augering or someone augering around you because he was out of ammo or fuel. That used to be standard procedure in the DA. Your K/D means nothing simply because of that in the DA.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #233 on: October 08, 2009, 07:39:44 PM »
In all fairness to the regular DA guys, there are a few really good flyers in there. As for the rest, they're just trying to get some kills. I can't down them for that. Although I have in the past.
I've came to the conclusion that it's up to me to keep my head on a swivel, shoot fast and shoot true because I may only get one chance at the bandit before 3 or 4 spits, 4hogs or tempests swoop down on me. I think that it keeps me on my toes and better prepared for about anything the MA can throw at me.
I can work on 20 or 30 overshoots in the DA where it might take me several hours to get that much practice in in the main arena. Just my .02 cents.  :salute

Good point, it does keep you on your toes.
~XO Top Gun~ Retired

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #234 on: October 09, 2009, 07:23:46 AM »
My question..... how many kills did you get that were the other guy augering or someone augering around you because he was out of ammo or fuel. That used to be standard procedure in the DA.

Good question Shuff, geuss the answer by ommision was 'not many'.

Proving without question that score in the DA is a total waste of time.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #235 on: October 09, 2009, 08:04:06 PM »
My question..... how many kills did you get that were the other guy augering or someone augering around you because he was out of ammo or fuel. That used to be standard procedure in the DA. Your K/D means nothing simply because of that in the DA.
It's no longer standard procedure. I'd guess less than 1% of my kills were from intentional augers. I'd guess about 5% of my kills were from proxies.

All in all, K/D or score's importance is only in the eye of the beholder. In other words, it means whatever someone looking at it wants it to mean. After all, we are only playing a game. The biggest tangible reward for having a high K/D or score is your name on the front page of the HTC site...
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #236 on: October 10, 2009, 04:04:51 AM »
BS--ALL those guys religiously go to 'roster' and right-click to see their stats, (and then brag about them) and they are ALL pizzed off when they lose their precious 'kills' when HT resets it every few months
Search the threads they asked to have the scores reset , mostly to track improvement in accuracy of shooting http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,254067.0.html theres the link . Show me where they are crying about reset .

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #237 on: October 10, 2009, 07:46:29 PM »
It's no longer standard procedure. I'd guess less than 1% of my kills were from intentional augers. I'd guess about 5% of my kills were from proxies.

All in all, K/D or score's importance is only in the eye of the beholder. In other words, it means whatever someone looking at it wants it to mean. After all, we are only playing a game. The biggest tangible reward for having a high K/D or score is your name on the front page of the HTC site...

It is no longer dueling... the class is gone.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 10, 2009, 07:50:44 PM »
The biggest tangible reward for having a high K/D or score is your name on the front page of the HTC site...

High K/D doesn't bring you to the front page, only score. The more once concentrates on getting his K/D as high as possible, the less likely it is to find his name on front page.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #239 on: October 10, 2009, 11:00:30 PM »
It is no longer dueling... the class is gone.
Well, none of us ever tried to maintain the pretense that it was an arena purely for dueling.

In fact, if you have ever stopped by once in the last few months and taken a few minutes to look around, you'd see that the biggest attraction is the huge furball.

There's still dueling, but it's at side fields. Donno how many actually duel, but if I'm in the DA, I'm usually open for a duel. And even in those cases, there's no auger for fuel/ammo. Just bail out and get a new plane after each duel so the fuel situation is fair.
boomerlu
JG11