Author Topic: Nose Art...HELP!  (Read 495 times)

Offline Scotty55OEFVet

• Nickel Member
Nose Art...HELP!
« on: August 27, 2009, 02:18:34 PM »
Guys, Im pretty good with computers and can normally edit pics, photos, etc.  I cannot for the life of me figure out how to upload the nose art for my squad!  I have tried a bunch but cannot figure out how to make transparency 176, 176, 176 or make the size 64x64.  I know how to change to .bmp now, but can someone tell me how to makke the art fit and also once its done, do i put it into a folder for the skins or a nose art folder???  I have read the help section, skins, and nose art sections on the AH website, but I am a simple SOB!!!  Any help would be greatly appreciated :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 02:25:27 PM by Scotty55OEFVet »
"War can only be abolished through war...in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun."

RedDevil

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
Re: Nose Art
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 02:25:40 PM »

Goes is squads folder. CO's ingame I D as file name
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Nose Art...HELP!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 02:36:25 PM »
Scotty, I managed to do it the cheap way if you want to take the time.

I took jpeg and inserted it into a slide on power point, then after some zooming and stretching I saved the slide as a gif file. I then went to gif works http://www.gifworks.com/cgi-bin/gifworks.pl?com=transfer_open and uploaded the file to that site and made the modifications needed including adding the required transparency and cropping it to 64x64. I then saved the file back to my system and opened it with windows paint and without making any modifications to it I saved it as a bmp file. Done.

I did take a few tweaks to get it right. I think I ended up with 10 revisions before I got it close and that was due to the original dimensions of the image, it ended up being 54x64.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 02:56:08 PM »
If you want to start from scratch, you can use a simple paint program like Paint that comes with Windoze.  If you have a piece of art you want to convert, you can download GIMP for free unless you have Photoshop or some other image processing program.

Final picture max size is 64x64 pixels.  No need to set transparency, just choose color 176,176,176 (gray) for any part of the picture that should be transparent.  After you save your picture (8-bit 256 color indexed), best thing to do is run it through another free program called Bright to index the colors properly.  See this picture for a comparison - top one is Photoshop's idea of indexing; bottom one is Bright's version.  Notice the blockiness of gray around the top picture.

Name the file with the squad CO's callsign (like GameID.bmp) and save it in the Squads folder in AH2.  You can also see everyone else's noseart files there too.  Once online in the hanger, go to the O'Club and then Squad.  The CO can then click "Upload Nose Art" and once HTC approves it, the rest of your squad will automatically get it.

If you change it later, your squaddies will have to delete their copy so the new one can get downloaded for them.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 02:58:07 PM by ImADot »
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Scotty55OEFVet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 05:56:51 PM »
Thanks to the both of ya...im gonna give it a try and ill let ya know.  Thats what I love about AH2...everyone helps out everyone else.  Thanks!!!
"War can only be abolished through war...in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun."

RedDevil

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Scotty55OEFVet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 11:21:35 PM »
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,259637.0.html

Thanks moot.  First I did most of the photoshop up to the point where you make change the pixels to 128.  I can change one to 128, but when I do the same to the other the first number goes all wacky.  Second, I went to that simmers site and I cannot find this bright program you speak of.  Unless its called something else and everyone just calls it bright.  Help  :o

RedDevil

Offline Lord ReDhAwK

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.revivecomputing.com/aggressors
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 12:46:03 AM »
I can change one to 128, but when I do the same to the other the first number goes all wacky.

Salute Scotty,

I think this is happening because you have the 2 ratios linked together (aspect ratio.)  See if you are able to unlink them by clicking something around where the numbers are entered.

I have, since writing the original tutorial, posted the Bright Utility on my website.  Just download, unzip, and follow the directions from there...

http://www.revivecomputing.com/redhawk/skinning.htm

Hope that helps you out.

Regards,
ReDhAwK
C.O.
The Aggressors

Offline PK1Mw

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 04:26:25 AM »
  I can change one to 128, but when I do the same to the other the first number goes all wacky. 

See if you are able to unlink them by clicking something around where the numbers are entered.

Edit > Image Size, make sure "Constrain Proportions" isn't checked. When thats checked its basically increasing the image both horizontally and vertically at the same ratio like Redhawk mentioned.