Author Topic: Graphics Options Setting  (Read 529 times)

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Graphics Options Setting
« on: June 21, 2000, 08:12:00 PM »
We need some sort of selectable level of graphics. Some sort of UI component on the clipbaord that lets you toggle things like smoke, hi-detial clouds, hi-detail lighting effects, hi-detail ground textures etc etc. This would make it more configurable for those who dont have absolute demons of machines to get reasonabe FPS. I have an ATHLON 650, 128 Meg RAM, and TNT-2 32 Meg video card and when i fly through the smoke rising from feilds i get down to 12 FPS   It would be nice to have an option to disable it or reduce its quality.
Eye-candy is nice and it shouldnt be too limited or removed but at the moment its forcing everyone to get a 1 GHz machine with a G-Force 2 DDR and 512 Megs or RAM which aint realistic.

All i ask is for the option to toggle some eye-candy as the user sees fit. Cant imagine it taking too much to implement.

BTW, please dont take this as a moan, it aint. Im luving the eye candy - it kicks bellybutton   except the smoke from bombed grnd targets.

Spat.

[This message has been edited by Spatula (edited 06-21-2000).]
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
Graphics Options Setting
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2000, 09:25:00 PM »
Spat,i love flyin through smoke, i get down to 7 FPS but i dont fight in the smoke so it doesnt matter  

Anyway,in beta i was running a p166 with a Verge S3 4meg Video card with 2 to 3 FPS. I had no problem killing cons then, 7 FPS in smoke aint gona bother me now  

Cyas up Bro..

Dog out....

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Graphics Options Setting
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2000, 03:20:00 AM »
Well, low frame rate in smoke made me collide *4* times with enemy yesterday. You'd think I would learn, but once you got a specific style of playing in, it's hard to break it.

I hope they'll remodel it somewhat  .

------------------
StSanta
II/JG2

Offline sourkraut

• Copper Member
      • http://www.riverrunne.com
Graphics Options Setting
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2000, 06:55:00 AM »
Problem with selective disabling of "eye candy" is that one pilot may have his view obscured by smoke and thus not able to see cons and his opponent might have a clear view since he disabled smoke effects. This creates a tactical advantage that may be construed as an easy mode.

------------------
Sour
JG-2 Richthofen

"Hey - someone has to be the target...."

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Graphics Options Setting
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2000, 07:13:00 AM »

Originally posted by sourkraut:
Problem with selective disabling of "eye candy" is that one pilot may have his view obscured by smoke and thus not able to see cons and his opponent might have a clear view since he disabled smoke effects. This creates a tactical advantage that may be construed as an easy mode.

I thought about that, its a valid point. Maybe instead of toggling it we have some method of reducing its detail or something to up the FPS. There has to be a solution.

Guys???

Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
Graphics Options Setting
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2000, 07:23:00 AM »
Fighter Ace has a slide bar where you can lengthen or shorten the height of the smoke.

Something similar might work?  It's not a pure on/off but having the lowest setting still send smoke up might help some.

Fury

booger666

Graphics Options Setting
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2000, 12:31:00 PM »
Boy wood i luv to cee hier frame raites....pleeze do something about it HTC...that black smoke makes my puter choke.

------------------
Guderian

"the one you all want to kill"

dosequis

Graphics Options Setting
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2000, 12:34:00 PM »
Gotta love a handle called "Booger 666". Is that, like, Satan's Snot?

Anyhow, my question is why don't clouds produce the same effect as smoke?

XX

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
Graphics Options Setting
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2000, 01:16:00 PM »
Guys I have the solution

Any of you ever play counterstrike? In that game they just introduced smoke grenades, and in that game, the smooke cuts frame rate too (from 60 FPS to 30 FPS when youre inside the smoke)

but the hit is not nearly as bad as here, plus there is an option fast_sprites 0 that turns the 3d smoke into 2d sprites, it still obscures vision but is far uglier (and hits the FR less)