Author Topic: Best merge for double-inferior craft  (Read 1125 times)

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
Re: Best merge for double-inferior craft
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 09:16:09 PM »
This shows how I crafted my approach so when we merge I am nose up.  Hope this helps.  Film below.

(Image removed from quote.)

http://dasmuppets.com/public/Grizz/Bmathis.ahf

If I end up missing this shot which is likely, there's no way for the Ta152 to be able to compete with the Spit9 any further.

As for flying double inferior planes without taters like the 190A5, you're at even more of a disadvantage because ending the fight with your one, possibly two, gun solutions is going to be very difficult unless you are an absolute marksman.  There's no way to saddle up a Spit16 if the pilot has the slightest clue.

That maneuver is totally dependent on the other pilot making the mistake of actually diving to get guns on. A much wiser move would be to go up, as you go up, and reasess the situation/ look for another opportunity.

Now for a more general rant:

A pilot's ego is his worst enemy (in many cases). I call it "the F16 syndrome" in a pilot who is overconfident in his superior plane and underestimate the lethality of his adversary. I see players fall for this many times, often because of inexperience, but sometimes because of sheer overconfidence. Oh... and I do it too every now and then too when caught off guard by a experienced stick, do some half-arse move which doesn't shake him and then it's over. Or if an adversary's maneuvering does not tell about his shooting ability. Sometimes you find yourself shot down in a situation you never thought he'd get guns on. There are a few ppl out there who can make shots most ppl can't, and they're lethal especially without tracers!

Also every now and then you come across a guy who you see fly very smooth, plan his moves and angles without any jerky movements and that spells doom, a clear indication of experience and you know you have a problem if you're at a disadvantage. (m00t  :cheers: and some others I've seen display this quality)

Imho it all comes down to SA and positioning yourself pre-merge. If you play your hand right the fight will be decided before the merge and only if you haven't you will find yourself in the situation described in the OP. I always try to make the merge decisive and get guns on first pass, unless the other pilot do the idiot counter move of nose-up and shoot back. That's always a gamble, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't and most times I avoid the head-on merge shot if possible.

There are a lot of experienced sticks in the community who don't want to share their wealth of knowledge, I'm not one of them.

[/rant]

:salute

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 09:30:18 PM »
When you're flying an aircraft that performs at such a disadvantage often times the only way to win is to capitalize on a mistake.  Take this sortie from the other night.  Most would agree that a co-alt meeting between a P-39D and a A6M would leave the P-39 driver with few options other than putting the nose down and heading for the deck at high speeds.  Thinking "what in the hell am I going to do now?" was exactly what I was thinking when I saw the icon.  But then I noticed the Zero was climbing a little and as I got closer I saw he still had his drop tank.  With that in mind I thought that if I conserved my energy and the Zeke played for angles I might be able get above him.  I was also thankful of the Zero's light construction which let me use the 'ol MG's.  If the other airframe was more stout it may have force me to try and use the cannon which I probably would have missed with. 

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?eadlgayitm4
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 11:14:25 PM »
That maneuver is totally dependent on the other pilot making the mistake of actually diving to get guns on. A much wiser move would be to go up, as you go up, and reasess the situation/ look for another opportunity.

A mistake that 95% of the arena will make 100% of the time.  I go by the numbers.  I am fully aware the only way I am going to beat a spit16 in a ta152 is if I trick him into making a mistake.

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 11:40:30 PM »
Yes, or only engage on favorable terms to begin with. Positioning pre-merge is half the fight, preferrably more than half. ~95% of the AH crowd don't really use their brains when flying, they just want to get guns on as fast as possible which is why we see all the spits, la, nikis etc etc.

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 02:16:19 AM »
Yup, and those turny planes burn energy fast... and that's when you rope 'em or drag 'em for a squaddie. Wham!

Really, faulty psychology/thinking is probably deadlier than any enemy. "Guns on" syndrome falls under this category as does "I've got lots more E, I can't possibly die," and target fixation. That's what baiting is all about. The hardest enemies to kill don't necessarily maneuver the best. For me, the hardest enemy to kill is the one that stays disciplined and doesn't take the bait.
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.