Author Topic: Wildlife images with macro lens, Cornwall  (Read 971 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Wildlife images with macro lens, Cornwall
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 10:31:20 AM »
not sure exactly, i think here it says 'f5.6' what ever that means. I dont mess with apeture much i need to learn about it. Camera is a Canon 10D and the lens is Sigma 70-300mm APO. Thanks for looking all.

Mechanic the f value states how 'fast' the lense is. In laymans terms it means how much light you need to be able to take a proper shot.

If you have a high f value lense you either need to use flashlight or use long exposure times. Long exposure times and handheld photography equates blurry pictures. So if you want to shoot handheld you should invest to a very low f value lense. Typically they cost around 1000-2000 bucks. If money is object, Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 Di II LD is an excellent lense with combination of low price (400 bucks) and good speed and sharp imaging.

High F lenses require a tripod and/or very good light conditions. Sometimes both.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Re: Wildlife images with macro lens, Cornwall
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 10:35:29 AM »
Thanks for the info Ripley, appreciate it. That kind of money is something i would have to think about and plan for a while. I'm not sure if i am that dedicated to photography, these are just nice images i wanted to share. I will however benifit from this learning, so thanks again.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.