Author Topic: F4U-1A/1D climb rate  (Read 414 times)

Offline Timofei

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
F4U-1A/1D climb rate
« on: September 06, 2009, 10:28:53 AM »
..is identical.
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/newscores/planeperf.php?gtype=2&pw=0&p1=28&p2=11&submitButtonName=Generate+Chart
Engine is the same. F4U-1A is 730lb heavier (full internal fuel for both).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 10:37:06 AM by Timofei »
Proverbs 15:17 "Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred herewith."

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: F4U-1A/1D climb rate
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 11:00:52 PM »
Keep in mind the chart doesn't specify fuel load. The 1A carries more fuel on full internal. However if the test was done at equal fuel levels (say, full main tank with wings empty) the late-block 1As with paddle prop (which I believe is what we have) WOULD climb about the same as the 1D.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Timofei

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Re: F4U-1A/1D climb rate
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 10:23:39 AM »
However if the test was done at equal fuel levels (say, full main tank with wings empty) the late-block 1As with paddle prop (which I believe is what we have) WOULD climb about the same as the 1D.

I think you are right. In game climb charts show the same gross weight for both models (-1D full internal, 1A less). P-51D climb chart in game is not with full internal fuel either, but somewhere between 50%-75%. The fuel fraction seems to be different for each plane, which pretty much defeats the whole purpose of comparison. At least the weight should be shown.
Proverbs 15:17 "Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred herewith."