Author Topic: USMC/71st SQDN  (Read 734 times)

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
USMC/71st SQDN
« on: September 19, 2009, 01:06:22 AM »
 :salute USMC - that was a fun fight at T60 or so v our P-40's.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 01:15:28 AM by 68Wooley »

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: USMC/71st SQDN
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 08:39:37 AM »
You beat the snot out of our P-39s.  I'm still wondering how you guys found our bombers so far from target. :P
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 10:42:41 AM »
Anaxagoras,

Were you flying guys along the southern X.10/northern X.9 sectors? VMF-251 was vanguard for the strike on 204, and about halfway out we spotted a large formation of aircraft to our south and vectored in the CAP.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 10:48:15 AM »
No, we were way up north.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 12:53:52 PM »
You beat the snot out of our P-39s.  I'm still wondering how you guys found our bombers so far from target. :P

Yeah - we were wondering about that too. Given the 110's that were there, we came to the conclusion they must have been a strike mission and tried to blow through assuming they'd do the same thing. Came as a bit of a shock when they decided to fight.

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 12:58:27 PM »
No, we were way up north.

Was that your group traveling Westbound up near 137? We spotted you guys at our 11-10 o clock at about 13-15k

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 01:18:53 PM »
Wooley, <S> to you guys.  Was it you and Baltar at the end that survived the fight with Sled, Nosey, Joker(dmd squad) and FltSgt at the end?  That was an epic fight that I watched from the tower of two different fields.  They kept saying that these guys in the P-40's are good, be careful.  It must have gone on for 10 min plus.   :aok

As for finding that massive group early, we just flew out of A6 and set up a patrol by A12.  We sent out a pair of scouts to do some advance scouting, and they found you right away.  This helped us to vector in to the attack group.  We (USMC) were the defenders for A12.  You guys managed to get plenty of B-25's past us, but the fights with the fighters were epic!  Salute all around, it was a blast!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 01:26:02 PM by TracerX »

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 07:22:05 PM »
Wooley, <S> to you guys.  Was it you and Baltar at the end that survived the fight with Sled, Nosey, Joker(dmd squad) and FltSgt at the end?  That was an epic fight that I watched from the tower of two different fields.  They kept saying that these guys in the P-40's are good, be careful.  It must have gone on for 10 min plus.   :aok

Yep - Baltar and myself were the only two to make it out. He was out of ammo at the end and I was down to less than 100 rounds. I was exhausted when I landed. It was a great fight with some excellent flying all around.  :salute

As for finding that massive group early, we just flew out of A6 and set up a patrol by A12.  We sent out a pair of scouts to do some advance scouting, and they found you right away.  This helped us to vector in to the attack group.  We (USMC) were the defenders for A12.  You guys managed to get plenty of B-25's past us, but the fights with the fighters were epic!  Salute all around, it was a blast!

Looking at the map, I think we ended up with a lot of elements further south than we intended which probably gave the game away. Whatever, this has been one of the most fun FSO's I've had in a while. <S> everyone.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 07:54:58 PM by 68Wooley »

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
      • Friday Squad Operations
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 10:21:53 PM »
<S> 68th p-40s!!  :aok

Ya that was a classic. Wooley that was Nosey and I at the end. If I had been able to shoot I think we would have won that. ;)

As you probably noticed I missed a lot of good shot opportunities.

You two did a great job of keeping the fight lateral, and avoiding the vertical fight. (109F is better there)

In the end I lost track of one of you for a few seconds, and you got me, then it was two on one and that was it.

That is what I get for not flying (shooting) very much this summer. Flying ACM is like riding a bike, you don't forget. BUT shooting takes constant practice to stay good, or you loose your eye for it. The case with me.  :cry

:D

great time, great fight!

:aok
~Sled~                 Aces High Special Events
USMC/71sqn
      XO               What Aces High is really all about.

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 02:20:26 AM »
<S> 68th p-40s!!  :aok
Ya that was a classic. Wooley that was Nosey and I at the end. If I had been able to shoot I think we would have won that. ;)

Totally agree that was on of those fights that on another night would have been a whitewash victory for you guys. We were riding our luck there big time. The balistics on those German birds take practise and that's the one good thing about the P-40 - six 50 cals. Personally, I suck in German planes.

:salute See you in two weeks.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 02:22:01 AM by 68Wooley »

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 09:54:27 AM »
Looking at the map, I think we ended up with a lot of elements further south than we intended which probably gave the game away. Whatever, this has been one of the most fun FSO's I've had in a while. <S> everyone.

I've been thinking about what happened and have a different diagnosis.  The rout we took was too obvious because it was away from the area that has radar coverage.  If you're defending and you don't see any bases flashing, guess where the enemy is coming from?  Flashing multiple bases all over the map would have made us more difficult to find than flashing none at all.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 09:00:04 PM »
Tracer let me scout and after spending the last 2 scenarios as a scout it was pretty simple to see where the elbow in the rout had to be....basically flew right to you....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson