Author Topic: Aiming rockets with F6F  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
Re: Aiming rockets with F6F
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 12:40:08 PM »
Mtnman,
I have worked on rocket sights for several different planes and I can tell you that the impact point is not in the center of the sight. I have spent a lot of time working with the various rockets that are available in game so I thought I'd share a few observations. I hope this jives with the trainers opinions,

1.) In the TA (or off-line with dive bomb-sight enabled) the green "X" is approximately where the rocket will hit. In particular if you slow down the film and observe very closely, the green "X" is where a rocket from the left wing will hit, if you fire a rocket from the right wing it will hit to the right of the "X".

2.) Rockets do not have convergence, they fly parallel to each other. At greater distance it looks like they come together but that is due to compounded deviation in the flight path.

3.) The rockets have different velocity's, so some of them drop more than others at a given distance.

As an example look at this sight I made for the Fw190F-8. You'll see that the two boxes are shifted slightly to the left and there's a target box for each wing.

I hope some of these points help you figure out the accuracy you're looking for.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline SirFrancis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 03:21:30 PM »
Two things can go wrong regarding how you fly the plane:
1. Slips - either due to rudder input, your plane being out of trim or secondary yaw effect. By the last I mean for example elevation movements that cause a yaw secondary effect, as when you push forward to lower the nose to your target. Banking also case a yaw effect, which brings us to...
2. Bank - You may not be perfectly level. If you somehow have a tendency to be banked slightly left when you shoot, the true gravitational vertical axis is not your gunsight vertical axis. You also slightly change the direction of flight so the impact point is no longer where the aiming point was.

Perhaps this could be seen in the film, but I cannot view it at the moment.

:O, this sounds very academically  :D

By "twisty stick" I meant one where you twist the handle L/R to control the rudder.  With those sticks some people have trouble because they accidentally apply some unintended rudder when they fly and shoot.  They may think they're flying straight, but may actually be yawed a bit.

I have such a stick, but the twist is very stiff. So I could rule out this maybe this source of the problem

Your film worked fine.  It was odd for me, no sound at all, and the prop didn't move, but that's ok.  I'm not sure why that happened.

Sound works fine with me  :huh

[...]

Have you by chance tried the guns, and really paid attention to where the impact point is?  I wonder if that's also going to be off?

No I have not, but I will try this.

[...]

Mtnman,
[...]
I hope some of these points help you figure out the accuracy you're looking for.

I will let you know!

:salute

SF
‘CO2…makes the planet greener’

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 04:02:48 PM »
Mtnman,
I have worked on rocket sights for several different planes and I can tell you that the impact point is not in the center of the sight. I have spent a lot of time working with the various rockets that are available in game so I thought I'd share a few observations. I hope this jives with the trainers opinions,

1.) In the TA (or off-line with dive bomb-sight enabled) the green "X" is approximately where the rocket will hit. In particular if you slow down the film and observe very closely, the green "X" is where a rocket from the left wing will hit, if you fire a rocket from the right wing it will hit to the right of the "X".

2.) Rockets do not have convergence, they fly parallel to each other. At greater distance it looks like they come together but that is due to compounded deviation in the flight path.

3.) The rockets have different velocity's, so some of them drop more than others at a given distance.

As an example look at this sight I made for the Fw190F-8. You'll see that the two boxes are shifted slightly to the left and there's a target box for each wing.
(Image removed from quote.)

Looks like good info Baumer! 

I can't say I agree or disagree, since I haven't paid enough attention to the details myself...  It sounds like your information is correct though.  Thanks for sharing!
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 05:14:30 PM »
 I will concur with Baumer on this 1,I use one of his sites,much like the 1 shown above.

He has done extensive research and testing on this subject and his rocketsite is about as good as it gets.

:salute

Offline SirFrancis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 03:20:54 AM »
[...]
Have you by chance tried the guns, and really paid attention to where the impact point is?  [...]

I tried the guns and the impact point is correct.

SF

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 03:11:41 PM »
Could his problem be from a sight in the head position, moving the head position with the arrow keys and F10.

Watching the film is interesting.  Watch it in slow motion and it looks as if the rockets are converging towards the center.  Watch the last two fired,  they sat on the outside wing mounts, they appear to converge towards the center line of the aircraft.

That would mean that the sight has a pre-calculated aiming point for the rockets that is on a centerline point at a given distance.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline SirFrancis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 02:13:43 AM »
Could his problem be from a sight in the head position, moving the head position with the arrow keys and F10.

Watching the film is interesting.  Watch it in slow motion and it looks as if the rockets are converging towards the center.  Watch the last two fired,  they sat on the outside wing mounts, they appear to converge towards the center line of the aircraft.

That would mean that the sight has a pre-calculated aiming point for the rockets that is on a centerline point at a given distance.

I thought that as well, that my position (arrows/F10) might have some influence.

SF