Author Topic: We NEED the Defiant!  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: We NEED the Defiant!
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 12:56:26 PM »
Hell, it wouldn't even be much use in scenarios.

The only plane I can see the Defiant having more practical purpose than is the Ju-52, and at least THAT has nostalgia going for it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 12:59:46 PM by Saxman »
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 01:02:07 PM »
Hell, it wouldn't even be much use in scenarios.

The only plane I can see the Defiant having more practical purpose than is the Ju-52, and at least THAT has nostalgia going for it.

In early war scenarios it would have a place such as the Battle of France, Battle of Dunkirk, early stages of the BoB and a scenario recreating some or the early Circus raids over the mainland.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 01:16:06 PM »
Yes, but there's other aircraft that would be far more useful. The Curtiss Hawk would also be great for BoF and other early ETO setups as well, not to mention its use by the Chinese, Dutch, and Commonwealth forces in the Pacific.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 01:32:07 PM »
Yes, but there's other aircraft that would be far more useful. The Curtiss Hawk would also be great for BoF and other early ETO setups as well, not to mention its use by the Chinese, Dutch, and Commonwealth forces in the Pacific.

I don't think Ack-Ack was trying to assign a relative worth to the BP Defiant; only an absolute one. 
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 01:48:09 PM »
Add it for variety, just not sure about seeing myself flying it.  Too bad it can't fly backwards!
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 02:31:18 PM »
I appreciate the icon possibility of tagging it a Hurri until you get close. One interesting possibility: wing it with a Hurri.

Otherwise, we need this turd about as much as we need the Fairey Battle.

I'd rather have a Blackburn Skua or, better yet, a Fairey Fulmar.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 02:41:53 PM by PJ_Godzilla »
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 02:37:41 PM »
Agreed and even in special events I think it would have limited use. Off the top of my head I think Battle of France and Battle of Britain. I don't believe it was used in other theaters but I could be wrong.

Anyway I personally would rather see the Blenheim and or He 111 for early war scenario use before the Defiant.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 02:56:44 PM »

Oh, I agree that there are other planes that are much more useful and needed than the Defiant but it does have a place in scenarios.  Honestly, I would like to see it added eventually for that reason but as you mentioned, there are more pressing needs that need to be addressed first.

ack-ack

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 03:00:44 PM »
Agreed and even in special events I think it would have limited use. Off the top of my head I think Battle of France and Battle of Britain. I don't believe it was used in other theaters but I could be wrong.

Anyway I personally would rather see the Blenheim and or He 111 for early war scenario use before the Defiant.

You can use the same argument for the Defiant as you do with the He 111.  As the He 111 was an important player in the early war, so was the Defiant.  It was one of those planes that 'held the line' until more modern and effective planes were able to replace it.  It was a major part of the Battle of France, Battle of Dunkirk, early days of the BoB and in the early Circus raids.

ack-ack

Offline sparow

• Nickel Member
      • http://249sqn.wordpress.com/
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 04:20:12 PM »
Otherwise, we need this turd about as much as we need the Fairey Battle.
I'd rather have a Blackburn Skua or, better yet, a Fairey Fulmar.

Hey, I'm getting scared! Please, in this order: no, no, no, maybe but rather not... please. These are real death traps, my <Salute> to all the poor fellows that HAD to fly them but these models, even in scenarios, would only be lambs to the slaughter... And would add any value to them.

He-111? Yes! Curtiss-Hawk 75? Yes... Morane-Saulnier MS-406? Certainly yes! Dewoitine D-520? Absolutely! Blenheim? Yes... Ju-52? Yes...

Speaking for myself, I would fly one of the damned contraptions in a scenario IF I HAD TO but I would like to have a couple more extra lives than the rest of the chaps...

Cheers,
Sparow
249 Sqn RAF "Gold Coast"
Consistently beeing shot down since Tour 33 (MA) and Tour 8  (CT/AvA)

Visit us at http://249sqn.wordpress.com/

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2009, 04:47:08 PM »
For special events I am just looking for planes that were used widely which is why I said He 111. It was used in:

- Polish Campaign
- Norwegian Campaign
- Battle of France
- Battle of Britain
- Yugoslavia / Greece
- Russia
- North Africa
- Iraq

The Blenheim was involved in:

- Battle of France
- Battle of Britain
- Yugoslavia / Greece
- North Africa
- Iraq
- Malaya
- Ceylon / India
- Dutch East Indies
- Finland against the Russians

So nothing against the Defiant and its role, just these two planes can be used in more events than it can. So they are higher up on my wish list.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2009, 05:13:17 PM »
This is one of those planes that has a place in scenarios and that's just about it.  It would be nothing more than a hanger queen in any of the regular arenas. 

ack-ack

boy I don't want to be stuck in that piece of flying poop over england !!!!
now posting as SirNuke

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2009, 05:14:41 PM »
The Blenheim was involved in:

Invation of Norway and Denmark
Siege of Malta
Dieppe Raid - Operation Jubilee
Invasion of Syria - Operation Exporter

He 111. It was used in

Invation of Norway and Denmark
Siege of Malta
Dieppe Raid - Operation Jubilee
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2009, 05:34:12 PM »
And of course, the Ki-43 and G4M were heavily involved in virtually EVERY PTO CAMPAIGN from beginning to end of the war.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2009, 05:48:25 PM »
And of course, the Ki-43 and G4M were heavily involved in virtually EVERY PTO CAMPAIGN from beginning to end of the war.

No arguing about that. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group