Author Topic: Lend a hand  (Read 2375 times)

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
Re: Lend a hand
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 02:23:20 PM »
Shreck I believe has got this spot on . If we just remain calm and answer a few questions from folks just starting out and be kind to them , it would go a long ways . If someone wants to go to the TA and work for a few minutes why not , it would save a noob hours of radio buffer questions I'm certain . When I started it always seemed as if for every 15 minutes of TA I could save 1.5 hours of MA time . I'm no great ACM or Top of the Pyramid guy by any means but for basic flight or start your comms session or simple things why not help a person and give a little back the other way , just like alot of you guys gave me .
                     Nutte :salute

I think this is great advice, but realize many new folks haven't got a clue what to ask and any "tips" from experienced folks may be well beyond them at their stage of skill. There are 2 things that have been absolute fact for me during my AH experience:

#1 - Whenever I have dueled someone who I am better than, I always voluntarily give them advice without having to be prompted! Hell during baldeagles recent dueling ladder contest I spent most of the 2nd fight of my 1st match helping my opponent to see the fight in a different way before sealing my victory!

#2 - Whenever I have dueled someone better than me (which is almost everyone) I have never recieved a single stitch of advice or incite into what I may be doing wrong  ;) Not once!

So you see as we get better, if our wish is to have "higher quality" fights then we must put our money where our mouth is and step up to the plate voluntarily and give a hand :aok :aok   :salute

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 02:31:37 PM »
 The OP has good intentions and while I may disagree with some of the other things said in this post,I couldnt agree more with SE.

I wont comment on quality of game play or the players but I will say as Nutte said 15 mins. in the TA will save hours of time in the MAs.

The problem I see is too many just dont want to spend time in the TA,why I'm not sure I could make a guess as to why but it would be biased by my oppinion.

Just yesterday I spent a mere 15 to 20 mins with a player who had the common problem of shaking a guy on his 6 and he left with atleast a few options and ideas that he could use.After that another player,who was listening in and watching said to me,wow that works pretty good,I would never have thought of it.

So I guess my point is,ya share your skills,help new players,be apart of the community and mostly have fun.Afterall isnt that what it's all about,having fun?? And if this is passed on all the rest will follow.

:salute

ps,I see the pyramid as heavily weighted to the bottom as well Moot!!

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 02:35:14 PM »
Wow,

I shoulda waited and read Snails post,coulda left the ps out...... :rofl :rofl :rofl

Lusche as usual,excellent work! :aok

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 02:53:39 PM »

#2 - Whenever I have dueled someone better than me (which is almost everyone) I have never recieved a single stitch of advice or incite into what I may be doing wrong  ;) Not once!

Possibly he is still writing up his report.  :P
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 03:20:49 PM »
Great thread!  This is what I created a squad for in the beginning to tell the truth,it's worked pretty well too,there's a couple of guys out there now that I can say I have taught and trained and have contributed to helping them become what they are now,it's a good feeling to have.

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 03:43:36 PM »
Speaking Entirely fopr myself I welcome any and all help whenever possible so when i grow up and get better (three kills in the entire 8 months of play not including proximity and headons ) I want to come back and give the guys a whooping that gave it to me all in good clean fun like shuffler and drbone. This is a game with a big learning curve so if you ask me take a long trip and someone with you . it could be fun !!
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 04:01:24 PM »
The problem with offering to take them to the TA, their ego gets in the way and insults start flying and blah blah blah. If someone really wants help, I'm willing to offer it, if not, I'm not going to go through the motions for kids that don't appreciate it...
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 04:01:44 PM »
My squad for the most part recruit noobs. We ll grab guys that we see are havin trouble, and want to learn, they do well, don't get as discouraged and they stay in the game. Plus they make great bait.
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 04:37:27 PM »
Plus they make great bait.

that's me.  :rofl :rofl

:noid :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 04:46:01 PM »
Cap... you need to fly with us more in the LW... my kills are dropping off. Lazer makes lousy bait!   :P
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2009, 04:50:56 PM »
This works sometimes. There are many who do not wish to improve. Then there are some who take offense if you offer guidance.
Had several of these experiences, still try though :aok

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2009, 04:50:59 PM »

Ha! Lazer worked for 4 for me last night. Then Lazer used one of my squaddies as bait for 4 more
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2009, 05:53:26 PM »
Possibly he is still writing up his report.  :P

:rofl                                :confused:    :mad:                               :(

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2009, 05:58:54 PM »
K/D is a very poor measure of a cartoon pilots skill level, and the "top of pyramid" folks know it! I'm very suprised you went that direction m00t!  :huh

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2009, 06:13:29 PM »
None of my posts refer to k/d specifically, and Lusche himself also says that it's not a measure of skill.  It does show the distributions of kills (which you'd mostly get from having more skill), to deaths (which you definitely can best avoid thanks to skill).  Maybe Lusche had also recorded (not gonna ask him for extra chores :P) other stats like k/t and hit%..  I don't know what other record there could be to back you or I up. What do you remember that hinted at a different distribution?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you