Author Topic: collisions and ho-ing revisited  (Read 1593 times)

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
collisions and ho-ing revisited
« on: September 15, 2009, 11:29:18 PM »
I wonder how many players are satisfied with the collisions and all of the ho-ing that is prevalent in the game as it now stands?From a realistic standpoint I guess collisions occurred,and Ho's were taken,but I think most players would like to see both collisions and ho-ing go.Take away ho-ing and perhaps one could get into some nice fights,and if they could'nt ram you,geez how nice that would be.I came to AH from a Air Warrior background,and I enjoyed that game a lot,and collisions were turned off,and to take a ho shot and get positive results was highly unlikely.If my memory serves me,the p38 and the Skeeter were about the only planes that you might connect with.The A'z had a guy that was pretty good in a P38,that could hit you pretty regular with a ho shot.While I'm reminiscing about Air Warrior,I wonder how well the over-rev would work in AH?OK,with a show of hands,how many would like to see the ho-ing and collisions go!
IronDog

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: collisions and ho-ing revisited
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 11:31:56 PM »
OK,with a show of hands,how many would like to see the ho-ing and collisions go!

Not me.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 11:38:07 PM »
How low can I put my hand?  I don't want someone to accidentally think I have mine raised...

I think both are absolutely necessary to have any semblance of reality in our simulated fights.

Both keep our fights somewhat "honest". 

Fly carelessly, suffer a collision. 

Give your opponent a gun solution, get shot. 

Pretty simple really.

What does your skill in the rest of the fight matter, if you should have died on the merge?
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 11:43:40 PM »
I wonder how many players are satisfied with the collisions and all of the ho-ing that is prevalent in the game as it now stands?From a realistic standpoint I guess collisions occurred,and Ho's were taken,but I think most players would like to see both collisions and ho-ing go.Take away ho-ing and perhaps one could get into some nice fights,and if they could'nt ram you,geez how nice that would be.I came to AH from a Air Warrior background,and I enjoyed that game a lot,and collisions were turned off,and to take a ho shot and get positive results was highly unlikely.If my memory serves me,the p38 and the Skeeter were about the only planes that you might connect with.The A'z had a guy that was pretty good in a P38,that could hit you pretty regular with a ho shot.While I'm reminiscing about Air Warrior,I wonder how well the over-rev would work in AH?OK,with a show of hands,how many would like to see the ho-ing and collisions go!
IronDog

i've been being lucky enough to find guys like potsnpans, llgaf, stang, and those 2nd amendment guys. they're all good fights. never ho. they just fight clean, patiently, and seem to enjoy the fights.
 there's others too. pretty much any SAPP pile-it is a fun fight.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline batch

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 12:25:23 AM »
if you take away political chat, HOs, and collisions........ may as well take 200 off as well

nothing but silence   :rofl
"theres nothin like wakin up with a Dickens Cider" - Dickens Fruit Stand

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 02:24:51 AM »
No hands here.
Collisions and HOs are fine for me how they are now. I have hard time seeing how they could be made any better.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 03:01:06 AM »
WOW!  How can i answer this in a polite way?  SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP!

It is inevitable that collisions and HO going to happen.  I do it and it happens to me.  I don’t cry about it and leave it as is.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 05:05:12 AM »
HO is the first move in ACM unless they are flying in the same direction. The collisions is somewhat useful when your out of amunition. Play your cards right and you get the kill.

Infidelz.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 05:21:26 AM »
Collisions and HO shots happen. Just yesterday I had both happen at once! I was coming in one a spitfire, he saw me and started turning, and I miss judjed how quickly he could get around. We both shot but I got his tail, and as I went to fly past for another kill his plane nosed up into me taking my wing off! Never seen a collision like it before, it was beautiful.  :lol

If you get killed in a HO shot, it was just your fault. Not the other person for being "dweeby no skilled Hoer". You knew the riske of a HO, and you took it. HO shots are actually pretty easy to dodge too (not sure why everyone whines about them), at 1000 distance, just turn in any direction and you will dodge the other planes shots almost all the time.

I for one, would like to see collision redone though. If a collision is detected, both planes should go down, not just 1 while the other flies away with no damage.

Offline Harp00n

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 05:28:00 AM »
Don´t like HOs and collisions?

Drive a tank...Fly resupply missions...Take command of a taskforce!...man a AA-gun...

Sounds interesting!  :noid

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 05:28:51 AM »
We have Hellcat Aces, such as.... McSweeny (I think), who had never once, no, not once, been on the 6 of a Japanese aircraft.  Every single last kill was head-on.  Your in The Corp?  You can look up better records then we can about VMF Aces..........   Point is, don't bring up "realistic" if the actually reality isn't something that you want to talk about.  We have far less head-on's in game then they did in RL.    :salute

From a realistic standpoint I guess collisions occurred,and Ho's were taken....
IronDog
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 05:36:20 AM »
I for one, would like to see collision redone though. If a collision is detected, both planes should go down, not just 1 while the other flies away with no damage.

why should I get taken out if I've flown carefully to avoid a collision but the other guy hasnt?
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline onan

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 06:19:08 AM »
I think collisions are inevitable.  They happen.  From all directions.
HO's for the most part are avoidable.  Not always but most.
Personally I think there's not a lot the HTC crew can do to change
the way things are.

<S>

KlunK

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 06:19:26 AM »
Collision model is fine.  Net lag makes weird things happen, but que sera sera.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 06:45:57 AM »
IIRC the reason HOs were considered bad form in AW is because they were too easy with the hit bubble. If nobody connected it would never have been an issue. To carry that over into AH where the modeling is different has always struck me as ludicrous given that HOs have always been a part of RL air combat.

I don't see how the collision model could be improved at this point and I see no reason to turn it off.

Most of the complaints I see about HOs and collisions seem to reduce to " I would have won if I hadn't died."