Author Topic: Chuck Yeager was a HOer  (Read 11100 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Chuck Yeager was a HOer
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2009, 04:05:06 PM »
We would have alot more great fights if people would do this. 
No offense TNDep but I see a lot of that "great fights" junk being thrown around, mostly by people who fly nothing but perk planes then whine when the eny makes it so they can't for a while. There are exceptions who do like a good battle between closely matched planes...and even they will take a head on or slight angle deflection shot maneuvering in those "great fights"..."kick the rudder, pull the trigger" sort of thing.

I can understand the whine when it's an initial merge after 5 minutes of flying...but once you're engaged, if you don't fire when you get the opportunity, you're chances of losing go way up.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2009, 06:11:19 PM »
My point on "easy mode" was simply about making the fight and SA much easier with external views. Also there is no possibility to know whether your opponent is using it or not. Maneuvering the plane is not easier, but fighting is. Without externals one has to move his plane to see the opponent in blind angles and that may easily bleed energy and affect next maneuvers. Just my view of externals... at TA they are fine, but I do not understand why they are enabled at DA.  :confused:
For the record, I wouldn't mind turning external views off in DA. It's almost kind of silly, I find it more difficult to fly with external views but of course you are right with SA especially.
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2009, 02:40:54 AM »
cc boomerlu.

Actually flying from external views gives a huge advantage if/when one learns to exploit it. Before AH, I flew EAW (over 10 years ago), which had externals and no-cockpit views (showing only the gun sight). It was so ridiculously easy e.g. to dodge fire by looking my own plane from external 12 o'clock view and seing both my plane and the enemy's and also his tracers. I only went inside the cockpit to fire, and even then used only that gun sight.

When I switched over to AH, the first 2 weeks were quite difficult. I had to learn how to cope with more restricting views and to do so much more work to maintain any kind of SA. After that there was no return :)

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2009, 03:12:02 AM »
Actually flying from external views gives a huge advantage if/when one learns to exploit it. Before AH, I flew EAW (over 10 years ago), which had externals and no-cockpit views (showing only the gun sight). It was so ridiculously easy e.g. to dodge fire by looking my own plane from external 12 o'clock view and seing both my plane and the enemy's and also his tracers. I only went inside the cockpit to fire, and even then used only that gun sight.
With that context, I understand your viewpoint on DA external views much better. Still, since I regard flying there as a quick way to gain combat experience to apply towards eg MA, I fly with cockpit only. Not only that, it just feels wrong to fly external views - too unrealistic.
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2009, 03:39:36 AM »
cc boomerlu.

When I switched over to AH, the first 2 weeks were quite difficult. I had to learn how to cope with more restricting views and to do so much more work to maintain any kind of SA. After that there was no return :)

ok,

after a long discussion, can we finaly agree that in RL nobody uses external Views in ww2?  ;)

thank you

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2009, 04:26:17 AM »
Yup, definitely :aok
That is why I don't like externals at DA, and it makes me see it as "easy mode" arena. You can never be sure whether your opponent is using them.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2009, 05:51:20 PM »
No offense TNDep but I see a lot of that "great fights" junk being thrown around, mostly by people who fly nothing but perk planes then whine when the eny makes it so they can't for a while. There are exceptions who do like a good battle between closely matched planes...and even they will take a head on or slight angle deflection shot maneuvering in those "great fights"..."kick the rudder, pull the trigger" sort of thing.

I can understand the whine when it's an initial merge after 5 minutes of flying...but once you're engaged, if you don't fire when you get the opportunity, you're chances of losing go way up.

there's also a lot of guys that fly pretty much anything that's not perked....and they seem to appreciate great fights too.

saw imadot and llgaf last night in mw...one was in a lower mark spit, the other was in a hurri1. potsnpans was in a c205. i dunno if that one's perked or not, but it seems to me that it is a seriously under rated and under used airplane.
 yet here they all were in the midst of the furball south of a69. i was in a 38G.

after 5 minutes a ho is still a ho. a fight that lasts that long has GOT to be a blast. i only wish i could survive a fight that long.

anyway...to each his own.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2009, 10:16:04 AM »
well i hope i don't offend any of the overtly chivalrous members of the community out there but ...

if you give me a shot don't expect much sympathy from me should you start to cry about me taking it ...

that being said i fail to understand it when the superior maneuver plane pilots consistently choose to run down the pipe with me in my FW-190a8 ...

myself sometimes i duck, sometimes i take advantage of the "first turn", sometimes i just feel like blasting somebody's face clean off ...

whatever the case i do not bore people on 200 about HOs or on the boards ...

for you guys seeking "honor, chivalry, and rules of combat" i think you are looking about 30 years to late in your historic selection of MMOLACS. 

i'm with wrecked, the only thing wrong with the HOs in AH (or wherever) is that i am not better at them. 

hey dhyran it would be cool to have external views when not in dot render range of enemy aircraft ...

that way i can admire the incomparable beauty of my Anton Ocho

t
THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2009, 10:42:06 AM »
wouldn't it be nice if yeager was still here to beat the poop outta the OP for being a schmuck? :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2009, 11:53:19 AM »
wouldn't it be nice if yeager was still here
Yeager never was here.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »

hey dhyran it would be cool to have external views when not in dot render range of enemy aircraft ...

that way i can admire the incomparable beauty of my Anton Ocho

t

hi thor,

a HO was a valid Manouver in RL. We cant stand away from this fact, therefore i open this thread
All i say is, if people get upset because they GET HOed, just learn to fly. i am now nearly 2 years here, if i want to stay away from a HO, i simply roll him out, which move i do most time in that case.

BUT just 2 days ago, i was in a P47 D25 my opponent was in a Brewster. Believe it or not, in 20k he came in straight HO, i rolled around, went into a slow climb, he went vertical. i flew a smooth right climbing turn. spread was 4 k now, we both turned again to each other, classical HO. I realy don't like it, it just allways a life lottery for me, so i rolled him out again, he sprayed like hell, no hit at all! ok, i thought to myself, you want it, you can have it, BUT my way. I looked (track IR is in that case a special friend) where the Sun is, ran into that direction, the brewster 3 k behind me, i flew a steep climb, cutted the engine full rudder, alirions, flipped around, full throttle, looked back, got the sun perfect behind me. staight HO! He cant see anything, i opend fire at maybe 500-600, i was on nearly 400mph, at a distance of 400 he exploded into thousend pieces witghout any shot given!

after all, i dont like the all time whiners on ch 200. There is a way to avoid a HO, if you dont like it! If you cant, work on your skills but dont whine around! Thats all!

<S>
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 01:11:03 PM by dhyran »

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2009, 01:24:58 PM »
Guys, learn to deal with you own faults! respect the defeat! when someone shoot me down, the first thing i do is asking myself, what went wrong, where was my fist wrong decission

This is exactly the attitude you need to expand your knowledge of aerial combat. There is no way around it. Great post dhyran and keep doing what you do, you'll only get better. It does take a lot of effort and time though, and some people find it more convenient to blame others.

big  :salute

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2009, 01:28:18 PM »
 :rofl RL   :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Ho'ers love that line but are the first to not want that line.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2009, 02:19:15 PM »
Great story and a perfect HO kill, dhyran.  :aok It does not get better than that.
It was a pleasure to read about it and to imagine how your opponent must have been dumbfounded by what happened   :O  :lol

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2009, 02:37:32 PM »
Great story and a perfect HO kill, dhyran.  :aok It does not get better than that.
It was a pleasure to read about it and to imagine how your opponent must have been dumbfounded by what happened   :O  :lol

ya...wait'll the guy figures out that all he has to do, is to not head straight for the sun. or if he wants to ho, then shoot straight into it.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"