Author Topic: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.  (Read 53688 times)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Re: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.
« Reply #600 on: January 27, 2010, 11:00:26 PM »
If they're hanging below you within guns range, you underestimated their energy state and not because they have some uber vertical properties.

ack-ack

From 400mph and one the deck, every plane I've tested zooms between 6-7K before departing. Including P-38s.

Starting speed, rather than plane type or any performance metric, seems to be the dominant factor in zoom climbs.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #601 on: January 27, 2010, 11:13:45 PM »
From 400mph and one the deck, every plane I've tested zooms between 6-7K before departing. Including P-38s.

Starting speed, rather than plane type or any performance metric, seems to be the dominant factor in zoom climbs.

but again, i wasn't talking about doing a zoom climb.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #602 on: January 28, 2010, 11:08:15 AM »
but again, i wasn't talking about doing a zoom climb.

Cap next time you see me on.... we'll work on this.  :salute
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Damionte

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cthunder16
« Reply #603 on: February 06, 2010, 12:25:33 AM »
In a closely matched vertical fight that "hammerhead" can be all the difference in the world, and if perfected will matter immensley there-bye possibly making dual throttle control a GREAT advantage  IMO  :aok

True, but ... the ability to hang on it's props means the 38 doesn't actually have to do a proper hammer head to pull off the same naeuver. It can nose over either forwards or backwards in kind of a pancake flip manuever and accomplish the same thing without going sideways.
Drackson

Allied Commander: AvA / Campaign Series: North Africa / Italy

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #604 on: February 06, 2010, 02:44:52 AM »
True, but ... the ability to hang on it's props means the 38 doesn't actually have to do a proper hammer head to pull off the same naeuver. It can nose over either forwards or backwards in kind of a pancake flip manuever and accomplish the same thing without going sideways.

But dual throttle work is so much more fun!
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #605 on: February 06, 2010, 01:00:09 PM »
I run dual throttles with my X52, (for twin engine planes of course) its seems to really bring it around alot faster in flat turns. just remember to throttle back up on the engine you cut back.  i just programmed the Slide on my throttle stick as my second throttle.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #606 on: February 06, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
I run dual throttles with my X52, (for twin engine planes of course) its seems to really bring it around alot faster in flat turns. just remember to throttle back up on the engine you cut back.  i just programmed the Slide on my throttle stick as my second throttle.

I tried this a while back.  Too much work for me
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #607 on: February 06, 2010, 01:54:45 PM »

It doesn't
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #608 on: February 07, 2010, 08:59:11 PM »

The notion that a dual throttle will allow you to turn tighter in a P-38 or any other dual engine plane is a myth.  The dual throttle will allow easy recovery in some types of spins and make hammerheads look all pretty but that's basically it.  It's great for the immersion factor and it will not be the reason why you won a fight but it can be the reason why you lost it.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #609 on: February 07, 2010, 11:13:55 PM »

You should of attended my P38 clinic this past Saturday. It won't help you in a flat turn as the others have said.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #610 on: February 07, 2010, 11:38:38 PM »
You should of attended my P38 clinic this past Saturday. It won't help you in a flat turn as the others have said.

i wish i could've been.....but alas i was out clearing my driveway...and my neighbors, and the other neighbors...then i passed out.......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #611 on: February 08, 2010, 10:17:48 PM »
I actually use a quad throttle, two for the visible engines and two for the invisible engines that allow the P-38 to climb directly vertically without consequence.  It wins me all the fights.

From what I can tell these engines simply appear depending on the number of throttles you have, I'll be ordering an octothrottle in the near future.  Watch out 262s :devil.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #612 on: February 08, 2010, 10:48:26 PM »
Cool i understand the dual throttle theory, good thought just not practical anyway, Delirium i remember that post on the clinic i think i even responded but my son had a HighSchool Bowling tourney that weekend and i was out of town, the 38 is something id really like to improve in, when flown right ( and Ive seen that) She's a beautiful lady.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #613 on: February 08, 2010, 11:05:54 PM »
I actually use a quad throttle, two for the visible engines and two for the invisible engines that allow the P-38 to climb directly vertically without consequence.  It wins me all the fights.

From what I can tell these engines simply appear depending on the number of throttles you have, I'll be ordering an octothrottle in the near future.  Watch out 262s :devil.

Dang, my sextuple throttle is obsolete already!
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline JVboob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #614 on: March 28, 2015, 05:29:46 AM »
Just book marking this. to read later
"Sighhhhhhhhhh, office closed do to ice for a day, And I miss a thread like this.."HiTech
Armed N Hammered 2002-2003
JG44 Night Hawks/JV44 Butcher Birds 2003-2009
49th Fighter Group fightn' 49ers Feb2012-present
138th FW Tulsa, OK 2009-2015