not the u, but a film a made along time ago of the T
http://www.mediafire.com/?2y3nk2gnmjx
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: yak 9u
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2009, 10:58:06 PM »
To be perfectly honest, the only plane I fear when I'm in a Yak is another Yak :)

No, the plane you should really fear is a lone Yak 9T   :t

<S>...-Gixer

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2009, 09:28:20 PM »
9-U is an animal, but it takes a good pilot to fly it correctly. Its ENY doesn't respect its actual threat as a plane. As stated, Spit 16/another Ya-9U is this planes worst nightmare. It also looks really sexy as an added bonus.  :aok
Axis C.O. for Battle of the Dnieper, Winter '43

Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, on land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder

364th Chawks

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2009, 11:52:33 PM »
both yaks are a lot of fun, the yak 3 would be a monster exept for the light ammo load , but then again, yaks are not famous for there large load of rocks to thro!
 flying them is as close to the real thing as you will ever get in this game tho!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline df54

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2011, 04:34:09 PM »

in my opinion the yak has other major drawbacks other than low ammo load:    

1-lack of combat flaps

2-lack of wep

3-gunnery skills have to be exceptional to consistently get killls.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 05:48:22 PM by df54 »

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2011, 06:47:38 PM »

1-lack of combat flaps

2-lack of wep

back when I flew the yaks a lot, I got lots of kills in them,, the T model more so tho,,, just make sure the wind screen is full of bad bird before you fire the 37 MM and poof they are gone!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Klam

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2011, 01:58:20 PM »
Been reading this thread for a couple of days, so I decided to take up the 9u

I'm just about average (on a good day) but I had great time.  On my first flight with it I landed 2 kills and 1 assist.   
The yak 9u I feel is a real nice and balanced.  It didn't need trimming down in a dive like the La5fn, response was good in most of the envelope.  Found the thing a little unsettled while landing, probably because I'm not used to the torque being opposite to most other rides. 
It was fast and climbed real well, I never bothered with the flaps in combat as I didn't let my speed drop below 220ish.  Visibility was fantastic.
Took it up a couple more times, then ran into 2 262's and a spixteen winging with them.  It was only a matter of time  before the inevitable Klam'n'Yak sandwich but was fun to wiggle and see wasted 30mm fly past.  My SA's not the best when 3v1 and the Spixter tagged me eventualy.

Here's a short film of the encounter

http://www.mediafire.com/?xbkyptbpu9s27t4

Anyways. I will definitely be taking this great little plane for a spin again.

Have fun

Klam
=Anglo-Saxon=

ingame ID: Petrol

Offline Orbitson

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2011, 04:38:58 PM »
I agree.
I use my custom gunsight. If you do not use it in Yak-9U you will get no sight in the film. Just install the one below if you want to see a gunsight.

Download gunsight from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5jzq3dydf1d/mutley_dred_B.bmp

2 versions of film first uncompressed, about 6Mb, second is compressed(RAR), about 3Mb:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mmyennnyywz/YAK-9U vs 109-K4.ahf

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ognyzydtmjy/YAK-9U vs 109-K4.rar

re: gunsight  "invalid file"  Is it me or is that link broken?   I'm interested in that gunsight..can you direct me to where I can find it?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 04:40:45 PM by Orbitson »
Syd*****Flying with The Floyd
By the way which one is Pink?

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2011, 05:44:02 PM »

1-lack of combat flaps

2-lack of wep

i take it you don't fly anything but u.s. aircraft...and late war stuff at that. a yak flown by someone good can out maneuver and shoot you down easily...don't underestimate it.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2011, 07:17:31 PM »
re: gunsight  "invalid file"  Is it me or is that link broken?   I'm interested in that gunsight..can you direct me to where I can find it?

Hi Orbitson and friends.

There was a problem with the file, here´s another link for download.

It's a ZIP file with 2 files, the sight itself and a  [ .MIL ] file. Extract and save both to your Aces High, [ sights ] folder
:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/209a4n87a6w727p/mutley_dred_N_2.zip

The sight is  this one(DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS IMAGE, DOWNLOAD FROM THE ABOVE LINK!):

Instructions for use:

If you have any ideas for improvement please let me know.

Hope this helps.

Mutley  :salute

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan properly."
Nick Lapos, chief R&D pilot, Sikorsky Aircraft

"To go up, pull the stick. To go down, pull the stick back harder..."

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2011, 07:40:13 PM »
No, the plane you should really fear is a lone Yak 9T   :t

<S>...-Gixer

:salute
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Klam

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
Loved the 9u, first time i took it up.
Have been in Midwar with the 9t for a few days, can't say it's an easy plane to fly effectivley in combat.  Most things I thought I knew about ACM have gone out the window until I can just get it to go where I want it.
I read Soda's evaluation of it and most of what he says I have found to be true.
So different to fly, it  feels skitish and unstable compared to the 9u.  Probably due to the wieght of the 37mm gun.
Took it up offline and in the TA a few times and flew it around watching the ball guage. I found that turning left doesn't need much left rudder but turning right needs left rudder.  I even re-calibrated my stick.
As the speed drops it becomes really difficult to hold the ball centered.
I would love to get a grip on it though and fight effectively with it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 06:07:13 PM by Klam »
=Anglo-Saxon=

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2011, 05:14:56 AM »
Lack of WEP is one way to look at it.  Another is WEP 100% of the time.

You don't need to plan your fight around a timed duration of emergency power.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2011, 01:48:04 PM »
Someone in one of the two Yak threads said that the 9T turns better.  My experience is the opposite, and its not even close.  The 9T reminds me of a Jug, it wallows around at low speeds and takes a long time to get to high speeds, which really aren't even that high.  And it doesn't turn nearly as well as the Yak 9U.  It does get better as it shoots off its ammo load, but it never gets to the 9U level.  The reason the 9T is dangerous is its one hit kill capability and if you're a pro, the ability to shoot that weapon to long ranges.  I'm not a pro, I miss with the big cannon all the time from point blank. 

If you see me in a 9T instead of the 9U, I'm probably out to HO people vulching my field, or there's some tankers that I'm out to kill.  Its also good for deacking fields, because your shot can be off by quite a bit and still kill the gun, and you can do it 32 times potentially.  I still prefer the 9U for deacking, but the 9U is mostly ineffective against ground vehicles.  I've been disappointed using it for anti-bomber, because you need multiple hits to take off a wing, not one hit blowups like on fighters.  Its also slow to climb to alt and has a smallish fuel tank, making it a mediocre interceptor.  Any of the 30mm armed Germain aircraft are far better choices.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Klam

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2011, 04:21:06 PM »
^--- What he just said....

I like the the 9t's "potential" capabilities, I'm just not getting her to fly anywhere near them. 
Compared to the 9u, the t fly's like a slug.
=Anglo-Saxon=