Author Topic: 2 HTC Folders  (Read 432 times)

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
2 HTC Folders
« on: September 27, 2009, 11:21:43 AM »
Under local disk C: I've a folder Hitech Creations.  Within Program Files, I've an HTC folder.

Are both necessary?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: 2 HTC Folders
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »
No.  Aces High used to default to the "C:\Program Files\HTC\Aces High II" installation folder, but it was causing so many problems in Vista and Windows 7, due to Microsoft's handling of anything installed in the "Program Files" folder we had to move the default.

The new default is "C:\HiTech Creations".  If you do a bas installation, that is where it will be installed.  Check your shortcut to see which path is being excuted and you can safely remove the other one.

Just note, if your OS is Windows 7 or Vista, you will not want to leave Aces High in the "Program Files" folder.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 07:07:53 PM »
So you changed it for the 2 OS's that only 13.6832665% of PC users use?

No.  Aces High used to default to the "C:\Program Files\HTC\Aces High II" installation folder, but it was causing so many problems in Vista and Windows 7, due to Microsoft's handling of anything installed in the "Program Files" folder we had to move the default.

The new default is "C:\HiTech Creations".  If you do a bas installation, that is where it will be installed.  Check your shortcut to see which path is being excuted and you can safely remove the other one.

Just note, if your OS is Windows 7 or Vista, you will not want to leave Aces High in the "Program Files" folder.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 12:11:45 AM »
Logan think about it real hard and you may find a good reason they might do that. New users that are buying new computers and jumping online and flying AHII might be completely new to computers and not know a thing. Doesnt that sound like a group of people we see everyday? This week alone I helped three people that own Dell computers and all of them have SLI yet SLI was off on all three systems and guess what? AHII looked terrible to them because they didnt know anything about computers or how to set them up. I imagine that could be very frustrating for them and costly for HTC.

This was a good idea from a business stand point.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline MotleyCH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 05:16:07 AM »
So you changed it for the 2 OS's that only 13.6832665% of PC users use?

With Windows 7 Release Date approaching, XP Support and Updates might only last a few years.

HTC is just planning ahead and it doesn't hurt XP users at all.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 06:27:42 AM »
New computers, for several months now, have only come with Vista.  Windows 7 is going to have the same problems if we kept the game in the "Program Files" folder.

It has nothing to do with the current division of operating systems.  It has everything to do with making the game easier for people to use and update, as time goes on.

Problems solved by moving the game out of the "Program Files" folder for Vista and Windows 7:
1)  Players can now find thier settings, films, squads, and skins folders, without having to call us.
2)  The game updater can now run without having to set the game to "Run as Admininstrator", which when you do causes all your settings, skins, films, and nose art to be lost from the game path.

You can thank Microsoft for this one.  They are the ones who declared no one should have direct access to thier own files and folders.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com