Author Topic: Sketchworks 2010 Soundpack  (Read 23021 times)

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Sketchworks 2010 Soundpack
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2012, 08:21:27 AM »
So I have a general question about functionality of AH sounds and sound pacs...maybe someone can help. The native AH game sounds do not appear to be in the "sounds" folder. When I download the game, I have a folder that has one text file that says "wiped" or "cleaned" or some such thing. So here are my questions:

1. Can I assume that the native sounds for the game are coded somewhere else and that when the game is loaded each time the software looks for a sound folder and replaces appropriately named sound files?

2. Therefore, can I also assume that if no file for a particular game sound exists the game will load its default sound instead, regardless of any previously loaded "soundpac" sound file?

I suppose I could try testing but assume you guys know the answer. I know you can mix and match sounds from different pacs and obviously source your own sounds. My interest is wondering if I can mix and matchsound pacs with AH game sounds, and maybe find some of my own since all sound pacs seem to be either incomplete, in progress, and because sound is subjective and I actually like some of the ah sounds better than what I'm hearing.

DEEPER QUESTION:
Also, does anyone particularly understand how the game loops sounds? Is there a FAQ or other document detailing game sounds? In other words, you pull a trigger for a burst of 6 x .50 cals (actually you'd have to pull primary and secondary triggers to get all six guns blazing) so does the game layer and loop a single .50 cal shot sound file? Will it auto edit the sound to remove space and thereby does the game control the frequency of the repetition or will space or a rest, or silence in the sound file slow the fire rate?

I agree with some who have expressed that sound pac guns sound like a gattling gun. But at the same time, I acknowledge that 6 .50's firing simultaneusly would have a fast rate of fire since I don't think these guns could be synchronized because they have mechanically adjusted fire rates. I don't think they staggered the solonoids that fired them...just pull trigger and let rip. That increased rate of fire caused by the inherent randomization is what made them deadly. Have to see if there is any audio on old gun camera footage (probably not) or maybe some expert or vet could tell us. I will say this, the sound of guns (or any game sound other than radio chatter in a cockpit should be muffled and not echoe or have a large report. My challenge with some of the explosions and gun sounds in the sound pacs is it's as if they were exploded on a sound stage and you're listening from a safe distance but with perfect clarity. Not realistic. If you're in the air flying at 200-400mph...with engine noise etc...you will here a muted compressed explosion if you hear anything. Hearing enemy gunfire coming at you from outside the cockpit is ridiculous (though helpful to evade a hit). Hearing the "plink" of the shell on your fuselage is realistic or the explosion of your own fuel tank. But some of this stuff in the sound pacs seems to ignore reality. IMO

Ballzy
1: yes your correct
2: yes your correct
your last queston: no the game dosent use just one 50cal sound. example.
m2 <<your primary weapon
m2_2 <<gun 2 for primary weapon
m_3 <<gun 3 for primary weapon. and so on

and the other stuff you state. soundmakers cant do anything about. because thats HTC's code
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:23:24 AM by olds442 »
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
Re: Sketchworks 2010 Soundpack
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2012, 05:17:09 PM »
how do i add them?
 :huh
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named