Author Topic: New price is great but.....  (Read 3839 times)

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
New price is great but.....
« on: August 30, 2001, 09:54:00 AM »
I still can't see paying that kind of money for a game that has a perk system like AH has.

I tried coming back but lost interest when I realised I had no perk points and I couldn't fly all the AC. It may not seem like a big deal to the people who gained all their points before the system was active (perk bugs were still there) but to new people the perk system is just unfair.

What is going to happen when everyone gets the plane they hate the most perked? We will still see them but they will be flown by the pilots who have been around the longest. The new people will have to fly the crap planes and just be targets. Real fun!

I would rather see a rolling plane set that was fair to everyone than the Perk system that is only fair to the Old timers.
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Baddawg

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2001, 10:00:00 AM »
Honestly how many "perk planes "do you see flying at any given  session:not many.

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2001, 10:12:00 AM »
But we have PADLOCK!!!!

Westy

(tosses more chum on the water to help Mighty1 who's getting no strikes)

Offline iculus

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2001, 10:15:00 AM »
The perk planes aren't all that great.  I have some perks saved up, but have no intention of useing them.  The Ta-152 is practically useless in the MA.  The Ar-234 is neat, but not hugely useful.  The Tempest is a such great plane all around, that I don't use it because I'd like to improve my ACM.  A plane that out performs others to such a degree just isn't the way to obtain that goal.

You rarely see perks planes in the MA.  I haven't seen a Tempest or a Ta-152 in I don't know how long.  It was only yesterday that I saw a pair of Arado's making a run for the first time in months.

In short, not having perk points doesn't put you at any real disadvantage, and having them doesn't put you at any real advantage.  It's simply kind of nice to occasionally fly something "spiffy" like a perk plane, but after the novelty wears off, you don't really care to fly them all the time, or in my case, fly them more than once in a great while. :)

Salute,
IC

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2001, 10:28:00 AM »
This is just whineing mighty
The hog c perk worked fine. Ya there are lots of spits and nikis and p51s up now but at least that splits it 3 ways.
I restarted my account a week ago after a month holiday and lost over 1000 perk points. big deal. I got enough for a hog c in the first day. I think I have enough for a 152 already.

guess what. The old timers you talk about are mostly sitting on 1000s of perk points cause they like to fly p47s and hellcats and 109g6s and La7s etc etc. I think the only time that perk points get used by an assassin is when someone rolls a mission with all tempests or 152s..

I think your off base. The rolling plane set is not fair to someone who gets his biggest enjoyment from flying the pony D. It is unnecesarily punishing him.

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2001, 10:40:00 AM »
<Hands over the award for the most pathetic topic of the day>

In the two weeks ive been back ive seen 2 perk planes in the skyes, one was ta152 and the other an arado! lol!  :)
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline lasse

• Copper Member
      • Lassenet
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2001, 10:54:00 AM »
I believe that you misunderstand how the perk system works, migthy1.

Yesterday I finally had earned enough perks to take the Tempest for a spin(70 perks), I flew a couble of sorties (man I love that plane), then I met a typhoon HO at 10K with both our guns blazing, I got him and he got me.

So there I lost my hard earned 70 perks, because when you loose your perk plane you loose all the perks you had to pay for it, now I has around 1,74 perkpoints.   :(

So I guess it is about 3 or 4 weeks until I have earned enough points to take the Tempest for another ride.

So it doesent matter how long you have been in this game, you get killed in you perkplane, you start all over from point zero again.

But this way you really fly careful when you finally have afforded your perk ride, you shure dont want to throw it away.(At least not when you have to work like a dog to get them, like me.)

I actually think the perk points is a brilliant idea. (Even thoug I think the Tempest is to expencive ;)).

Man I love the Tempest.(Did I mention that?)   ;)

The 332 "VIKING" squadron

Lasse

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: lasse ]
You smell that? Do you smell that?
Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
The smell, you know that gasoline smell, smelled like victory.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2001, 11:12:00 AM »
I think this is a valid topic, so to those of you who call his post a "whine" are really missing the point.

A few of my friends have made their way back to Aces High since the price was reduced and are disappointed that the Perk System is still in place.  It should, if its going to be there, be a lot less expensive than it is.  I just do not think its fair that the folks who play for an hour or so on the weekends can't enjoy taking an Arado, Ta-152 or Tempest into enemy turf and see how they work out in the MA.  70 perks takes a long time to accumulate.  

If HTC doesn't want to see these planes fly often and perked them as high as they did, why'd they bother develop them?  The Arado is a slug to get to alt, has a low bomb load, and takes about as much time to slow and land as a U2.  Hardly a threat if it was available to the masses.  The Ta-152 is a finicky bird that excels up high.  Since all the fights I've seen are well under 10k, I just do not see many.  And the Tempest is an amazing aircraft that rates up there with the P51 in terms of speed and manueverability.  Most of the Tempests I've encountered have made a fast pass at me, then ran home.  Apparently the pilot didnt want to loose their perks and opted to exit the fight and bring his wounded bird home.

While I understand the balance they are striving for in the Main Arena, I think its too prohibitive for the novices or folks who have less time than people like me, who tend to log 2 hours a night in the arenas.  People thought the arena would be polluted with Arados everywhere when it was introduced.  It hasn't.  At least cut the points required dramatically so its within reach.  20 perks versus the current 70 and such.  Again, just ideas that have been said over and over again.  

This is a tough crowd to appease.  Lower the perks and some cry foul, claiming the sky will fall and we'll be over run in Tempests.  Keep them where they are and more and more newbies grow frustrated they do not have the time or experience to gain credits to fly these birds in action.  I'd suggest a compromise so that it still requires experience (points) to move up to a perk plane, but not the costs we have now.

In an Arena full of La7s, N1ks and Spit 9s, I'm all for some variety...I'd love to see some Tempests and Ta's flying around more frequently.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2001, 11:15:00 AM »
Think on this lasse: Why should you or anyone for that matter have free access to a plane that has a performance that overwhelms almost the entire planeset?

You like the Tempest. Would you like to have everyone have free access to it? If so, all you would see in the arena would be Tempests, 'cause only 1 or 2 other planes in the set can actually catch it (and I think that is why you love the Tempest, you are immune to other planes if you stay fast). Me262 will be on next version. What will your Tempest be like then when you have the great majority of players flying me-262? HTC wouldve wasted their efforts modeling the C202 and Zero if people are running around in the Me262 all the time.

"Yesterday I finally had earned enough perks to take the Tempest for a spin(70 perks), I flew a couble of sorties (man I love that plane), then I met a typhoon HO at 10K with both our guns blazing, I got him and he got me.

So there I lost my hard earned 70 perks, because when you loose your perk plane you loose all the perks you had to pay for it, now I has around 1,74 perkpoints"

Surgeons General Warning: HO'ing when in a Perk plane may be hazardous for your reputation.   :rolleyes:

Like Pongo said, the reason why players HAVE 1000+ perk points is because they fly the older, more challenging, higher perkie receiving planes. Those who fly the late war, higher performing planes dont get perks that fast (n1k, la7, 190d9, p-51D,109g10 amongst others). Take up a 205 or a spit5, every kill you get in those things is the equivalent of getting 2 or 3 kills in late war planes (perkpoint-wise).  

Matter of fact, when the new version is out, be there the first day, fly a Typhoon (tempest close equivalent). You will have a hard day dodging all the vets with lotsa earned perks trying out the me262, that may give you a taste of what this game may become without the perk system.

I do agree that the planes are expensive. I'd put the Tempest cost 25 perks, arado cost 20 perks, Ta152 cost 20 perks, 190d9 *G* cost 5 perks, F4U-C cost 8 perks, Me262 should cost 50 perks, La7 cost 5 perks, N1k cost 5 perks, P-51D cost 5 perks.

But again, thats just me  :)

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: Tac ]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2001, 11:18:00 AM »
I haven't seen a perk plane in a long time, matter of fact, I made it a point to burn some perkies yesterday, took a TA152 up, and proceeded to fall back into old habits, strafing acks...(died too, hehe!)

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2001, 11:18:00 AM »
I can tell you this, if they enable all the perk planes to everyone (cancel the perk system) alot people will leave and HTC will come out as loosers...

Why are they perked? because they are late war AC that _almost_ did not see any combat.

Why HTC developed them? no idea i much rather would have seen them developed the early war ACīs....

But the perk system works and thats final.

Think about it, next version the me 262 is here, you really want to see an arena full of jet AC?

Regards.

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: Maniac ]

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2001, 11:51:00 AM »
TACS perk point list would be interesting.

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2001, 11:52:00 AM »
Putting the CHOG at 8 perks worked great, and it's my belief also that the other perk planes cost should be lowered.

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2001, 11:58:00 AM »
How about an example of another way of doing it?  WB's and AW do not have any kind of perk system. In those two you also cannot fly an ME-262 period except on rare and special occasion. I'd much rather like to be able to take a Tempest or Arado whenever I feel like it, If I eaned it. And I took an Arado just for the heck of it a week ago for fun. The only time I ever have online. If I lost the points (died, disco's or crashed) and I had to wait to do it again? Tough sh&t for me. The rules are the rules. And they apply to everyone across the board.

So why did HTC model planes not generally available to everyone 7 by 24 or it does not interest anyone in particular to use ? I'm shaking my head at that question because it's so self centric. AH isn't an online sim about any small, specific time frame of WWII aircombat. AH is not "Battle of Britain" (takes hat off in respect for the late Simguild) nor is it "Blitzkrieg:1939" or  even "Midway" with a very narrow and limited plane set.

I beleive AH is a place to do use a WWII aircraft flight simulater to simulate WWII aircombat against other WWII aircraft regardless of the year of manufacurer, while the HA's, events and scenarios setup the more accurate historical setups.

Westy

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2001, 12:06:00 PM »
If you play Everquest or Ultima Online or similar games, do you demand to get as much money as everyone else have? or do you demand to get the best weapons etc from the start?