Author Topic: Couple P-47Ms from the 61st and 63rd FS's  (Read 3547 times)

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
Re: Couple P-47Ms from the 61st and 63rd FS's
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 02:31:35 PM »
You said "bright".  That is a color issue.  As to weathering I will use those references I have and the pictures of the planes from that era not from the entire war.  1945 was not 1943.

sorry, I was talking about Ms in 1945.

I was not questioning your sources. It was just a matter of opinion. Why I asked a question. [will edit this out]. Was referring to the sources I have.

Btw, I was just asking for the names of the books you have in your home library.  
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 02:38:06 PM by B4Buster »
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 02:53:25 PM »
Already, holy crap that was quick!

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 02:57:18 PM »
Well I have a D-40 template and I worked on it some Thursday evening and last night. 
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 05:41:07 PM »
Very nice Fencer.   All the M skins are progressing nicely.

About the red areas - I'm not sure what word to use to describe the effect, whether its "intensity" or "saturation" or "level" or something like that -and understand I'm not questioning the hue or shade chosen, simply comparing the red areas to the dark matte skin color, they seem to jump out at you (or at least at me, on the monitor I'm viewing it through).   Cactus' M skin with the red band around the nose doesn't do that - the red band seems to be at the same level of intensity as the other colors on the skin. I'm not sure if he adjusted the saturation or opacity or what.  Not to criticise, or to say one is wrong and the other right, just making a comparative observation.   

<S>

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 05:58:47 PM »

About the red areas - I'm not sure what word to use to describe the effect, whether its "intensity" or "saturation" or "level" or something like that -and understand I'm not questioning the hue or shade chosen, simply comparing the red areas to the dark matte skin color, they seem to jump out at you (or at least at me, on the monitor I'm viewing it through).   Cactus' M skin with the red band around the nose doesn't do that - the red band seems to be at the same level of intensity as the other colors on the skin. I'm not sure if he adjusted the saturation or opacity or what.  Not to criticise, or to say one is wrong and the other right, just making a comparative observation.   

<S>

good wording. exactly

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 05:59:06 PM »

<S>

Hmmm
Fencer

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 07:31:17 PM »
I'm really struggling right now with the reds of the 82nd P-38Ls' nose and spinners, and its related I think to the specularity in the material.txt file of a bare metal skin.   I just can't seem to find the right level balance--nothing I do seems to look right.    Every setting I choose has drawbacks.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 09:34:39 AM »
If you look at the color pictures of the black 56th skins, that red that Fencer used is almost dead-on accurate.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 10:53:11 AM »
If you look at the color pictures of the black 56th skins, that red that Fencer used is almost dead-on accurate.

Ya see that's what I thought too.. but I started playing with the saturation and dropped it -28% and it doesn't look too bad.. I will post revised screen shots with comparisons soon.
Fencer

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 12:31:48 PM »

Stoney is there a link to these color pics somewhere, or are they just in a book?   I'm interested to see them if I can.   Thx!   

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2009, 12:46:05 PM »
Stoney is there a link to these color pics somewhere, or are they just in a book?   I'm interested to see them if I can.   Thx!    

Believe Stoney is referring to this thread

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,275507.0.html

Red on the black skin looks dead on, But the red on the blue camo should be dulled a bit.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2009, 01:26:57 PM »
Stoney is there a link to these color pics somewhere, or are they just in a book?   I'm interested to see them if I can.   Thx!    

I tried to find some online this morning to give you some examples, but they're not the profiles.  I need to dig out my copy of America's Hundred Thousand and see if they're in there.  The red in the color pictures is very bright--lots of contrast with the other colors.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2009, 06:04:14 PM »
Fencer sent me a link to some color 56th FG photos on LittleFriends.uk - thank you sir!    Very interesting - some of the red noses seem to be bright and glossy, and really stand out against the dull matte camo, while a couple of others seemed more subdued.    Was surprised to see the variation, as I figured a FG would have limited choices on paint finish type and colors.      I didn't see a color pic of "Sue", but no doubt the case could be made for the bright red.

Just noticed one other thing - the 50 cal gun barrels - were they light or dark metal?   I assumed they should be dark but just noticed on the these two skins they are the same color as the leading edge bare metal.

<S>

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2009, 07:09:23 PM »
Funny, that's where I found the pic of "Sue".  :lol

Note that all color photos of that era have to be taken with a grain of salt for various reasons.  True colors are not necessarily represented by what you see, some photos are better than others.  The best you can do is research the paints in use and what paints they might have used to actually paint the AC.

The 50 cal's had some sort of metal shroud on them.  You are too used to that poorly designed light bomber you like.

http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/gallery.php?Group=56&Style=item&origStyle=list&Item=472&Temp=2469&searchString=
Fencer

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2009, 10:40:38 PM »
Fencer sent me a link to some color 56th FG photos on LittleFriends.uk - thank you sir!    Very interesting - some of the red noses seem to be bright and glossy, and really stand out against the dull matte camo, while a couple of others seemed more subdued.    Was surprised to see the variation, as I figured a FG would have limited choices on paint finish type and colors.      I didn't see a color pic of "Sue", but no doubt the case could be made for the bright red.

Just noticed one other thing - the 50 cal gun barrels - were they light or dark metal?   I assumed they should be dark but just noticed on the these two skins they are the same color as the leading edge bare metal.

<S>

Good, I knew I had seen them somewhere.  I couldn't find the link on Little Friends for some reason.  As far as the Ma Deuce barrels, with (what I assume was fanatical cleaning by the ground crews) time, the bluing on the barrels wears off, revealing the bare metal underneath.

[Edit] Also, the ground crews, being proud of their planes and trying to get every last bit of performance out of them, would wax the fuselages and wings, so that the paint could look a little glossy sometimes.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:54:48 PM by Stoney »

HiTech