Author Topic: Typhoon bug  (Read 620 times)

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
Typhoon bug
« on: October 09, 2009, 03:55:34 PM »
While divebombing an enemy CV the other day, i received a direct hit to my left wing causing half the wing to fall of my typhoon. I was able to fly all the way back to base with barely any extra effort than if it had been 100%. I could fly level (no hands on the stick) and not have a problem even though i was missing half of my left wing.
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
Re: Typhoon bug
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 04:10:17 PM »
well it could be that since the prop turn to the right you can fly a typh well without half a left wing but im not sure.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 04:45:01 PM »
No, the prop direction will help, but you'll still have major problems with flight.

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 03:07:27 PM »
I lost half my right wing...clearly something was wrong with the plane, but I was able to land rather easily.  Some planes just offer more lift than others with half a wing...and the typhoon is easy enough to keep fast.  I was expecting the plane to tilt violently to the right as I slowed for landing but didnt have much problem at all dropping both wheels at the same time.

Auto pilot would keep me in the sky but it would have taken me in a big right circle.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 05:10:42 AM »
and to add to this, today I had both half wings shot off...flew home and landed rather easily.  just had to fight engine torque with rudder, but could fly level with proper engine speed.
The left over stubs are pretty sizeable though so I can see them providing enough lift to flight.  Looking at pictures of the typhoon i'd say atleast 40% of the wingspan is lost.
Have video if necessary.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline Eagleclaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 10:51:31 PM »
Perhaps it is just good piloting, but if the Elevators, rudder and ailerons are at least 50% ( one aileron and 1 elevator at least) then the ability to fly is not imparied much. The basics are needed, from what it sounds like, the flaps are the only things missing from the "stubs". If this is the case then you still have the basics to get you home.  :joystick:
The day no hoes would fly......

Offline The Fury

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 05:10:57 AM »
I lost just over half my left wing yesterday in a typhoon and i didnt notice much change landed it pretty easy too no idea if its supposed to be like that.
The Few
England    www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
The Few  (Tour 77)                                                                                            Currently Flying as Fury

Offline Eagleclaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 07:47:44 AM »
*the ability to fly is not impaired much as long as there is a "stub" of a wing, losing the entire wing means you are screwed.
The day no hoes would fly......

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 09:04:23 PM »
Actually.. the ailerons are on the wingtips... and the flaps are on the inner part of the wing.

I can fly almost any plane in the game missing half a wing.. even have had a few kills that way.  On landing, I slow down at higher altitude... at slower speeds it gets very unstable but dropping flaps and gear seems to help alot... then you can descend slowly and usually make a reasonably decent landing.  It also helps to burn the fuel in the damaged wing to put more weight on the other side of the plane.

Loss of rudder = no big deal... you can still fly relatively well.. but gunnery becomes almost impossible and landing straight can be a bit of a pain.

Loss of aileron = kind of a pain but you can usually compensate with rudder as the plane typically wants to level its wings as long as the engine isn't torqued up too much.

Loss of elevators = ok this gets a bit tricky... yes with a lot of planning you can still control the planes ascent and descent using throttle... I've made several  successful landings this way, but it can be very difficult.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 03:29:17 PM »
262's are surprisingly easy to fly home with both wingtips and ailerons missing

and the f6f will still hold level flight with the autopilot with one missing !
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.