Author Topic: 37mm  (Read 1731 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: 37mm
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 10:15:59 AM »
Vinkman, I wouldn't read too much into what you see from 37mm damage.  The damage model on small fighters is completely fubar when taking fire from the larger autocannons, i.e. 30 and 37mm.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Warspawn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 10:53:55 AM »
If we got the Yak-3 I could happily spend the rest of my AH career flying only Yaks...

Now...wouldn't THIS be fun!?

Yak 3M for sale  :aok http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft-for-sale/YAKOVLEV-YAK-3M/1994-YAKOVLEV-YAK-3M/1143407.htm
Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just don't seem the same
Actin' funny, but I don't know why

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky                 
                                                 --J. Hendrix

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 12:34:42 PM »
The Yak-3 is going to be a massive disappointment to some people.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2009, 01:22:08 PM »
I think if you like flying the Yaks we have now you will enjoy the Yak 3 if we ever get it.  If you don't you won't.

<S>
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 01:28:47 PM »
I think if you like flying the Yaks we have now you will enjoy the Yak 3 if we ever get it.  If you don't you won't.

<S>
The people who will be disappointed are the Yak fans who don't realize the difference between a WWII Yak-3 and a post war Yak-3.  They look at the superb numbers put out by the post war Yak-3 and drool.

The WWII Yak-3 is going to be very potent, but it isn't going to be amazing.  There is only so much that can be done with a 1200hp engine.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2009, 05:05:11 PM »
I would very much like to see the 1944 Klimov-105 Yak-3 in AH. At only 5850 lbs loaded, its @1200 lbs lighter than a Yak-9U, and @800 lbs lighter than the Yak-9T, and its speed and climb are better than a Yak-9T, while having the 20mm nose and 2 x 12.7s rather than the 37mm. It had a great reputation for being nimble in a dogfight, with a great little bubble canopy. Nothing not to like. The Yak-9U would still be top dog for brute speed, but not handling.

As for the war, it got its reputation during the war, not after. Both the Luftwaffe and VVS pilots that flew it had a very healthy regard for its abilities. No, it would not be super uber, but I think it would be very competative, and a blast to take up.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2009, 06:49:05 PM »
FYI, there were plenty of standard Yak-9s without the 37mm.  I'd like to see the Yak-9D in AH.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2009, 11:37:49 PM »
FYI, there were plenty of standard Yak-9s without the 37mm.  I'd like to see the Yak-9D in AH.

Yak-9D = Yak-9U with more fuel. 

Slower Yak.  Longer range.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2009, 11:50:58 PM »
As for the war, it got its reputation during the war, not after. Both the Luftwaffe and VVS pilots that flew it had a very healthy regard for its abilities. No, it would not be super uber, but I think it would be very competative, and a blast to take up.
True, but I was referring to the numbers people think it had.  The see the 107 powered Yak-3's numbers and think that is what they'd get.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 09:43:30 AM »
True, but I was referring to the numbers people think it had.  The see the 107 powered Yak-3's numbers and think that is what they'd get.

For me it's the look Karnak! I honestly don't know too much about performance numbers.  You gotta admit she is one sexy looking bird!!!

CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2009, 10:04:26 AM »
If they aren't side-by-side, the Yak-9U and Yak-3 are difficult to tell apart waystin.

gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 12:51:06 PM »
Vinkman, I wouldn't read too much into what you see from 37mm damage.  The damage model on small fighters is completely fubar when taking fire from the larger autocannons, i.e. 30 and 37mm.

I have noticed that the AH hit model is way better than the old AW hit model.  As we fly through planes on the runway, I notice how many of the internal components are modelled on the planes in AH. I assume the pullets paths are tracked for their impact on specific plane components including the pilot. I further assume that if the plane absorbs enough damage it explodes, but I also heard that if the pilot dies the plane explodes. The latter I find interesting because it relates to an encounter I had with a me-109 yesterday.  We met at about 10k and nice stall fight ensued, I had an early advantage and got few .50 cal pings on him, but as time went on, the stall buzzer became constant rather than intermittent, and the nose of the ME-109 drifted towards me and I simply didn't have the energy to get out of its way. He lit me up amidship with his 30mm and I was spewing oil, fuel, and coolant. As both planes stalled out, My P-39 and his 30mm cannon fell out of coincidental vectors and I lived to spin to the deck for several rotations until I could regain level flight. The 109 having not departed, leveled out and then went inverted, no doubt to watch me plummet to the earth, or perhaps to get ready to chace me down and finish me off. He was above my at about 1000 ft and in complete anger and frustration I pulled the nose of my P-39 vertical at 150 mph and emptied all my .50 cal ammo in his direction in the hopes of desperation ping. I hit nothing. As my plane again began to slide out of controlled flight, I made what ever adjustments were still possible to get the nose to fall off in the direction of the 109's flight vector which was from my 3 o'clock to my 9 o'clock. Out of .50 cal I figured I would throw one last shot across his bow and pushed the secondary trigger button and fired a single 37mm straight up in his direction. He seemed to hang in space as the smoke trail from the round tracked towards him as though it were a Stinger missile. It hit him right in the cockpit, there was a flash, and 1 second later his plane exploded.  :x   I laughed at my unbelievable good luck, and apologised to the bandit on 200, who's name escapes me. [If you read this, maybe you filled it?]

Back the point of the thread, I don't know if the 37mm would have destroyed the plane at 800yds or if it was because it hit him in the cockpit and killed the pilot. Strangely at that point I didn't care  :aok

Vinkman

Who is John Galt?