Author Topic: Offline Practice Mission "The Hump" Help request  (Read 863 times)

Offline Neil Roche

• Zinc Member
Offline Practice Mission "The Hump" Help request
« on: October 28, 2009, 11:20:17 AM »
Guys,

I have decided to try to ask if one\some of you, that are skilled at Terrain and\or Practice Mission
Development, would be willing to help (and I use the term loosely) develop a Mission and its Terrain.

I have not done any of either, but I have a special mission in mind and hope someone will find it as compelling
as I do.

The Practice mission is The Hump.

The Hump was the name given by Allied pilots in the Second World War to the eastern end of the Himalayan Mountains over which they flew from India to China to resupply the Chinese Government of Chiang Kai-shek and the units of the United States Army Air Forces based there. The region is noted for high mountain ranges and huge parallel gorges, and transverses the upper regions of the several larger rivers of South-East Asia, including the Mekong, Irrawaddy, and Salween.
This mission would offer options to many who enjoy Practice missions.
A.   Perilous C-47 flights over and through the Himalayan Mountains.
B.   Fighter support and Dog fights with defending American aircraft (P-40 and other) aircraft.
C.   Fighter attacks and Dog fights with attacking Japanese (Zekes and other) aircraft.

Many of you will be knowledgeable about the history of this WWII action, but for those of you who may
not be, this link will bring you up to speed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hump

My assumption is that there is not an existent terrain that would be useable for this project, so I believe the first step would be the development of one. If there is already an existent terrain please let me know.

For any of you terrain developers, who would be interested in either developing or helping me develop
a terrain, here is a link where you can download some Bit Map images of the geography that I believe
would be good.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/478c8e1d-deb3-46bb-9f6d-96b375a9f32c/The-Hump-Map-Images

I hope the above information will catch the imagination and stir the creative juices of one or more
of you.

I can also be reached at Email: Roche22@Charter.net

Herder
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 11:23:42 AM by Neil Roche »
Herder

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
Re: Offline Practice Mission "The Hump" Help request
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 12:15:12 PM »
I would like to see Mt Everest for this one!  :D
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline HellFire

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 02:13:17 PM »
Always did love the "Flying Tigers", the AVG (American Volunteer Group) would love to see something like this.   :airplane:   :old:  :cheers:
"In life there is certain death, and between life and death
  there is a journey, hence in truth nothing is lost in death."

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 12:02:57 AM »
Sounds like a worthy and fun project.  I would be willing to take on some mission route design tasks at some point.

Offline Neil Roche

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 11:44:07 AM »
Stalwart,

It was so good to see your opinion "Sounds like a worthy and fun project" as well as "I would be willing to take on some mission route design tasks at some point".

Like I said earlier I have almost no experience doing Mission or Terrain development, but I am told that I am a "quick study".

I have been "Flying" AHII for a little over a year now.  Over the last year I have developed and posted, on the Forum, Saitek X52 Profiles for every Plane, Vehicle, and boat
available in the game.

See this link: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,274899.0.html

So that said, How do we get started? What can I do?

Herder
Herder

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 10:16:40 PM »
 :salute  Herder

I'm sure you're right about developing the terrain first.  It will be a significant step just to have a working map of the region.  That area of operation is so vast.  You'll have to tackle the issue of scale to develop a map that is representative and yet workable for missions you envision and can play in just one or two hour's time.

Unfortunately I have no experience with map development whatsoever.  You might want to start a parallel thread over in the Terrain Editor forum where the community there can help you with the first milestone.

You might want to play with the offline mission editor to acclimate yourself to that tool and to the challenges of mission development with a ready available and bug-free map.  Then, you will be better prepared to make decisions about how your own map should be created. 

Regrettably though, the current release of Aces High 2.16 has significant buggy issues with offline mission play.  The offline mission development community is in a kind of holding pattern for the time being.

Offline Neil Roche

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 11:35:17 AM »
Stalwart,

I have already posted the same thread, that I posted in this area, in the Terrain Editor section.

So far no replys, but I suspect that the 2.16 Terrain Editor issues are the reason.

Herder 
Herder