Author Topic: 3D Stereoscopic Gaming in Aces High  (Read 1677 times)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: 3D Stereoscopic Gaming in Aces High
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 09:51:40 AM »
Sounds cool, but my wife would kill me for knocking stuff over on the desk... :lol
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline dunnrite

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 12:52:33 PM »
Ah, that sucks... I guess it's like how some people get sick thermalling in a glider or riding a rollercoaster.  That ever happen to you at 3d movies?  Maybe it's a low framerate since it gets halved from overlaying two images...

I haven't been to a 3d movie for many many many years.  Hell, I haven't even worn 3d glasses in many many many years.  May just be something I will have to adjust to, just didn't have much time last night.  Never been sick on a rollercoaster, offshore fishing, or in aircraft (my dad used to rebuild gliders when I was a kid, but I have never been in one airborn).
Amazing you could actually recruit that much suck into one squad.
Your Proctologist called, they found your head.

Offline GuyNoir

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 06:32:38 PM »
Can anybody take a screen shot?     :banana:

Yes, I know it's going to look funky. 

I don't even know how!  :o  The nVidia drivers'll take a 3d screenshot, but it saves as a '.jps' file, which only works with their 3d image viewer...  Taking screenshots the usual way just makes 2d images.

Offline xStrato

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 08:39:30 AM »
In the nvidia control panel in the 3D section, it says that 3D will work with AH but the mouse cursor may not be able to be seen. Is this true with your experience?

In order to run the cheap version, do you need a 120 Mhz monitor to display it or will a 60 Mhz monitor do the job? I am curious to try the free version. Im sure I can find a pair of 3D glasses somewhere or at least make one. Are the colors still very messed up when playing in red/blue mode?

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 09:28:19 AM »
In the nvidia control panel in the 3D section, it says that 3D will work with AH but the mouse cursor may not be able to be seen. Is this true with your experience?

In order to run the cheap version, do you need a 120 Mhz monitor to display it or will a 60 Mhz monitor do the job? I am curious to try the free version. Im sure I can find a pair of 3D glasses somewhere or at least make one. Are the colors still very messed up when playing in red/blue mode?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_3D_vision_winvista_win7_191.03.html\

Click that (same link as above) and select the additional information tab.  That will list what you need, including HDTVs and projectors.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline xStrato

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 09:44:05 AM »
Thank you for the link. Yes, 3D does require a 120 MHz monitor.

Offline GuyNoir

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 09:51:11 AM »
Thank you for the link. Yes, 3D does require a 120 MHz monitor.

No, no... that's only if you use the $200 shutter glasses...

The red/green version is definitely free and only needs a 60Hz monitor and a video card that can give you a good framerate...  Since the left and the right frames are displayed at the same time, you can still get 60 fps total.  

And yeah, the colors are VERY messed up in red/green mode. :)  The shutter glasses should be just like looking at the monitor normally.

Like I said earlier, I bought these: http://www.amazon.com/3D-Glasses-ANACHROME-Anaglyph-YOUTUBE/dp/B001DSOUX6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1254753124&sr=8-2-fkmr1
and they're pretty good.  nVidia has a specific green that they use, and not all glasses will work.

edit.

No, you still get your mouse cursor... The big problems with 3d in Aces High are what I talked about in the OP.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 09:52:49 AM by GuyNoir »

Offline xStrato

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 09:53:02 AM »
Doesn't sound worth it yet. I don't like the idea of having my colors messed with nor do I have the money to put into a 3D setup. Thanks for the info though.

Offline GuyNoir

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 10:00:41 AM »
Oh yeah, definitely... I don't use it seriously in AH.  It is fun to play with sometimes, though, and it'll show you the future of gaming.   After this, I'm gonna be first in line when a real solution comes out that's affordable.  :D

edit. Oh, and that's why I made this thread.  When everybody starts using those real solutions, Aces High's still gonna have the same problems in my OP, and that text's still gonna kill some eyeballs.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 10:02:54 AM by GuyNoir »

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 10:25:19 AM »
I had to update my drivers first but got the vision driver installed.  Ordered a similar pair of glasses from amazon (didn't get the old man ones though  :old: lol).  I'll let you know how they work.

Folks, play nice.

Offline L0nGb0w

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 04:51:22 PM »
is it only the Nvidia cards or will my ATI 4870 do this too?
~Kommando Nowotny~
ZLA - Don't Focke Wulf Us

Offline GuyNoir

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 04:58:46 PM »
is it only the Nvidia cards or will my ATI 4870 do this too?

Errr, welcome to the video card wars!  :D  It's been pretty brutal so far, and it's not gonna let up soon.

I heard that this might work with ATI cards: http://www.iz3d.com/driver
but don't quote me...

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2009, 10:20:55 PM »
Got my glasses in, ordered these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CD8GAA/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

I just used the red/cyan mode.  Nvidia had a few demo photos from various games, one or two of those were really cool, the rest were so-so.  The display on Aces High is not too bad.  Sitting in the tower it looks like there is about an inch between your cursor and clipboard map, which is pretty cool.  Sitting inside your plane is just sweet, lol.  Looking down the nose of your plane, your throttle and stick, you six, so cool.  The bombsight view (F6) is simply awesome.  It looks like you are right next to a glass view hole looking down on the ground.

I did have some problems when it came to lining up the bombsights on a target.  I need to make sure I back farther away from my monitor so my brain can take it all in as one image.  Looking at other planes and trying to determine direction and speed was difficult.  I'm sure a little more time and moving back from the monitor would help with that.  Of course there is the headache involved, lol.  Definitely fun to just mess around with.  I highly doubt I'll start using it regularly in the game.  But for $10, it's worth the S :old: s and giggles.

Folks, play nice.

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
Can anybody take a screen shot?     :banana:

Yes, I know it's going to look funky. 

Yeah take a screenshot. I wanna see.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2009, 11:00:37 PM »
These don't do justice to the quality in game, but you can put on a pair of glasses and get a little idea, but I was disappointed how these turned out.  I forgot to mention earlier something else that is pretty cool, diving strait into the ground. WHOA, it makes a strait down dive a little scarier, you can see that ground approaching you a lot better.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 11:03:07 PM by Jayhawk »

Folks, play nice.