Author Topic: P-63 King Cobra  (Read 13961 times)

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Re: P-63 King Cobra
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2009, 12:41:44 PM »
I found the following while thumbing through the Osprey Publishing book "P-39 Airacobra Aces of World War 2".

Following the defeat of Germany, 17 IAP quickly converted onto the P-63 Kingcobra and was transferred east to the 12th Air Army, where (Maj Vyacheslav) Sirotin participated in the brief war against Japan.  During this short conflict, his wingman scored the only aerial victory recorded by the P-63.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 01:18:19 PM by Soulyss »
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2009, 01:07:32 PM »
"typhoon saw limited service because there hasn't been a 'Great Planes' episode made about it"  :lol
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2009, 01:39:36 PM »
It did.

Of all people, you took the bait :P
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2009, 02:03:31 PM »
Of all people, you took the bait :P

Or did you take the bait? ;)
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2009, 02:04:08 PM »
Or did you take the bait? ;)

Good point, but re-baiting the hook didn't seem to help either...

d'oh!  I see now.  I guess the post I wrote didn't go through.  Well that screwed that up.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 02:06:33 PM by Banshee7 »
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2009, 02:30:51 PM »
Here's a little hint for you...

Those TV shows? Incomplete to the extreme.

Ki-61 saw significant action in the South Pacific until Allied bombing destroyed the plants manufacturing its engines. It's just not a Zero, so no one talks about it.

The Typhoon saw significant action in Western Europe, particularly in ground-attack roles. It's just not a Spitfire, so no one talks about it.

The Tempest appeared relatively late in the war, but still saw significant action in Western Europe, particularly hunting down 262s. It's just not a P-51, so no one talks about it.

There is NO comparison between the Typhoon and Ki-61--and even the Tempest--and P-63. At least the other three have more than vague recollections and spotty evidence of having seen combat.

No offense, but your anecdotal evidence in no evidence either.

By why do I have to prove the plane belongs in the game. Are there really service record requirements for the planes in the game?  1700 P-63Cs were shipped to the soviets, and as many as 3000 P-63s all together, what do you think they did with them, used them as paper weights? A large number of these late war planes were built and shipped to an allied airforce, with kills against Germans reported.

good enough for me, I still vote yes.

Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2009, 02:37:16 PM »
"typhoon saw limited service because there hasn't been a 'Great Planes' episode made about it"  :lol

Please don't put words in my mouth. What I said was the plane is relatively unknown by anyone other than plane historians, and did not have a significant impact on the war. I never said it saw limited service.

So you think the P-63 is not gmaeworthy? or are you just a plane factoid snob?
Who is John Galt?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2009, 02:43:13 PM »
Please don't put words in my mouth. What I said was the plane is relatively unknown by anyone other than plane historians, and did not have a significant impact on the war. I never said it saw limited service.

I know many casual WWII buffs that are familiar with the Typhoon, Tempest and Ki-61.  Speak for yourself, don't speak for those you don't know.  I can pull many books off of my shelf right now that have detailed information, or at least references to, those three aircraft.

The way you are presenting yourself is making you look extremely ignorant.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2009, 02:50:22 PM »

How about start by getting YOUR facts correct in the first place. Just because a plane isn't plastered all over the media doesn't mean it didn't have a significant impact on the war. The F6F and F4U get all the attention over the Wildcat, but does that mean the F4F didn't have an impact? HELL NO. It was the plane that held the line for the Navy and Marines during the most critical year of the Pacific War.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2009, 02:52:19 PM »
seriously, I have never seen a single show, Great planes, Aircombat, Dogfights, Wings, or any other show on the history channel, or the Military channel, that cronnicles the success of the Typhoon in ww2, or the Tempest, or the Ki61, and yet they are in the game, probably having much more success than they ever did in real life. For god sakes the Breuster is in the game because a hand ful of Fins flew it against...rheindeer.
I found it entertaining that the Great Planes episode with the P39 spent all of 5 minutes on the P39's Soviet service, where the P39 was actually an important aircraft with a good combat record (despite the Great Planes episode suggesting it was relegated to ground attack), and I don't remember them mentioning Rechkalov or Pokryshkin at all either(if they did I think it was only in passing....). I think they spent about as much time on the P-63, which is a plane where there are disputes on whether or not it ever shot down an Axis aircraft. The episode was 'look how great America is :DDD ' like 90% of shows on the History Channel.

Seriously, if you ever expect to see anything about something that's not 'Murikkan that's not a 109 or a Zero on the History Channel, you have far too high expectations.

And just because you had never heard of the Typhoon before coming to AH doesn't mean it wasn't a major player in the war... it actually played a very large role... however it was neither American nor a Spitfire so you'll never see it on TV.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 02:54:16 PM by Motherland »

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2009, 03:42:11 PM »
How about start by getting YOUR facts correct in the first place. Just because a plane isn't plastered all over the media doesn't mean it didn't have a significant impact on the war. The F6F and F4U get all the attention over the Wildcat, but does that mean the F4F didn't have an impact? HELL NO. It was the plane that held the line for the Navy and Marines during the most critical year of the Pacific War.

The hellcat IS plastered all ove the media.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2009, 03:50:13 PM »
The hellcat IS plastered all ove the media.
Yes, it is.  Saxman was talking about the F4F Wildcat though, not the F6F Hellcat.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2009, 03:53:24 PM »
I know many casual WWII buffs that are familiar with the Typhoon, Tempest and Ki-61.  Speak for yourself, don't speak for those you don't know.  I can pull many books off of my shelf right now that have detailed information, or at least references to, those three aircraft.

The way you are presenting yourself is making you look extremely ignorant.

It never fails that if you make a post, some snob will come out of the woodwork and call you stupid over a factoid not related to the point. It seems irrelevant how many people YOU THINK know about Typhoons and Ki-61s (do you have the data on that?)  Is that supposed to prove they belong in the game and the P-63 doesn't, or that I am ignorant? Hmmm.

No need to be so didactic in your tone, it helps no one.

Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2009, 03:55:06 PM »
Yes, it is.  Saxman was talking about the F4F Wildcat though, not the F6F Hellcat.

you are correct, I mistyped that. I meant to say the WILDcat IS plastered all over the media.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2009, 03:58:51 PM »

And just because you had never heard of the Typhoon before coming to AH doesn't mean it wasn't a major player in the war... it actually played a very large role... however it was neither American nor a Spitfire so you'll never see it on TV.

Now I've never hear dof the Typhoon!

I will attempt to state this for the rio Linda croud. Anyone who's heard of the Typh, Tempest, and Ki61, has heard of the Kingcobra. Good enough?  ;)
Who is John Galt?