Author Topic: So in the WWI arena...  (Read 2036 times)

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
Re: So in the WWI arena...
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 04:28:56 PM »
There should be no Vox. :D

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 04:29:48 PM »
You can scream  :aok

Or you can squeak!  :lol
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline lilsquid

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 04:33:31 PM »
wat im wondering is if they will give us throttle WWI planes had no throttle u had to start and stop engines to slow down no brakes either ugh o this cannot be good we will go from

"devils in the sky" :devil to "angels of the skies"  :angel:

only if we figure out that gosh darn biplane
Freedom is strangely ephemeral. It is something like breathing; one only becomes acutely aware of its importance when one is choking. - William E. Simon

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 05:43:21 PM »
The 'no throttle' engine you're thinking of was the Gnome Monosapaupe ('single valve') rotary, in which the mixture was fed to the cylinders from the crankcase via transfer ports rather like a two-stroke (or through a flap valve in the piston crown in the very early examples). With no conventional inlet valve or proper carburretor, the Gnome Mono (and its German copy, the early Uberursel) were either 'on' or 'off' and were controlled by switching off the fuel and cutting the ignition. Woe betide the pilot who forgot to turn off the fuel supply, because the engine would continue to ingest and exhaust unburnt petrol/oil mixture all the time it was spinning around; when he switched back on again, all too often - BOOOOOOM.

In-line 'stationary' engines as used by the Bristol F2B and Fokker D.VII usually had separate throttle and mixture levers which provided a fair rev-range when operated properly. Later rotary engines like the Le Rhone and Clerget used on the Camel and Dr.I (Uberursel copied them too!) had the same (fuel inlet to the combustion chamber was a conventional poppet valve at the end of an inlet pipe from the crankcase) but were far more sensitive and pilots were reluctant to change the settings once they'd established optimum revs, so they made coarse changes the same as the Gnome, with the added 'luxury' of a 'blip switch' that supposedly could cut the ignition of any number of cylinders. Same danger applied as the Gnome, only even worse because the pilot couldn't turn off the fuel to the 'live' cylinders, so he either used the device for only a very few seconds at a time or reverted to a simple 'all on or all off' switch.

The ol' Dawn of Aces Camel and Fokker Dr.I triplane were modelled 'all on or all off', which was fair enough and easily mastered because the 'turn around its crankshaft in the opposite direction to the engine's rotation' characteristic of the rotary-engined aircraft (same as the helicopter) was modelled as pretty mild.

Should be fun in the WWI arena - happy trails, amigo.

:aok
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 05:57:32 PM »
After giving this some serious thought, I have come to the conclusion that  it would be a mistake to take out the vox from WWI arena. My reasoning is that many people play this game do it because of the other people that also play HT's game. I would be willing to bet that at least 50% or more of the radio traffic that is heard in the MA's (based on my experiences) is not related to missions or team work. Taking out vox would take away this type of conversation which IMHO would push alot of players away. I am eager to fly WWI planes online but I don't know how much or for how long I will do it HT"s setup if there is no vox.  Now maybe scenerio type things this may be a good option to include for CM's but I don't think it would be suitable for the average/ everyday play.

Just my thoughts but we will have to see what HT comes up with in regards to the question of vox or not.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Gabriel

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 06:56:53 PM »
WW2 didnt have pin point GPS systems , AWACS  caliber radar, unlimited range radios, precise E6B instruments, most planes had no ammo counters, etc.

Lets say we take those out of the current arenas too

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 07:26:47 PM »
Vox or not, we'd still know who the squeakers are.  :D

I'm actually interested as to what HTC will do with this now. I haven't thought about this yet!

One idea might be to tie Vox sound to the engine sound. with the default engine sound being louder then vox. trying to turn engine sound down will only result in also turning the vox sound down as well.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 07:34:30 PM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline blkmgc

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 07:27:09 PM »
WW2 didnt have pin point GPS systems , AWACS  caliber radar, unlimited range radios, precise E6B instruments, most planes had no ammo counters, etc.

Lets say we take those out of the current arenas too

Cool.
Debdenboys.comAdministrator

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 07:47:02 PM »
I watched the movie, The Blue Max, last night... It recharged my weakening enthusiasm again...

C'mon guys, pure WWI stick and rudder, seat of the pants flyin... Don't dork it up with some silly stuff...

Let ppl do all the yakkin they want in the tower, or mechanics tent, or the local brothel for all I care...
You can regale the hairy legged French girls with all your daring do, while swillin Froggy Red and The Green Fairy, or Schnapps and Ein Bier... ;)

But leave the Imaginary nonexistant radios, OUT of the airplanes... Or should I say Aeroplanes...

The Purity aspect would be awesome!!! As far as possible anyway...

RC

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 08:33:23 PM by RipChord929 »
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline ScottyK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 10:39:12 PM »
No VOX.  I love it and am all for it.  People whine now about no CHECK 6's  wait till this arena gets goin.
Childhood is over the moment you know your gonna die.  Fight not to Fail, or end up like the others.   In my crate, im the commander.

IGN: Scotty57

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 11:46:51 PM »
Yes, let's build this monument to failure where players come in to a multiplayer game and are effectively isolated from communicating with other players.  Squads of established players make use of third party software like ventrilo to easily work around this and prey upon the isolated newbies until there is just a couple of warring squads left accusing each other of cheating by using third party communication software and starting endless bbs flame wars.

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2009, 12:01:30 AM »
Quite right, Pyro - which is why I mentioned that I use GSC vox comms. It'd be impossible to insist on no vox. I bet we'll all fly winged together in pairs instead of in vic formation too.

All power to your elbow with the WWI arena, HT. Just model the Bristol F2B Fighter properly instead of with weak wings as in DoA and I'll be happy forever. Especially if I can fly one painted post-WWI aluminium with polished engine panels, as 'Shiny Six' did in Iraq from 1919 onwards.

:aok

Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 12:03:13 AM »
accusing each other of cheating by using third party communication software and starting endless bbs flame wars.

Sounds fun  :lol  :noid  :bolt:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 02:33:53 AM »
Yes, let's build this monument to failure where players come in to a multiplayer game and are effectively isolated from communicating with other players.  Squads of established players make use of third party software like ventrilo to easily work around this and prey upon the isolated newbies until there is just a couple of warring squads left accusing each other of cheating by using third party communication software and starting endless bbs flame wars.

I was hoping someone would finally speak up!!! And now I know...
So the only reason we would be stuck with 2way radio, (when it DIDN"T EXIST) is because certain groups of weazels can't play the game STRAIGHT?
And for that reason we can't have a single arena, (NOT ONE) that is clean and rightious, AS IT SHOULD BE?

Ya know, I already knew that!!!  Just wanted to hear one of you guys say it in front of everyone!!!
Now that I have my answer, I'll push the little lever, and flush this whole mess...

And to the troop of obsequient little buttsniffers that follow you guys around like gods, LOL, GET A LIFE!!!  :rofl

:D Sayanara

RC

"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2009, 07:18:20 AM »
You want ultra-realistic WWI gameplay go play RoF.  If you want a WWI MMO experience you stay here.
"I drank what?" -Socrates