Author Topic: Problems for a new user  (Read 1639 times)

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
Re: Problems for a new user
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 10:54:29 PM »
Its on your clipboard when in flight... it gives you a read out of speed, fuel, ect
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 12:15:33 AM »
OK, boys,
I found the ASI and how to use mouselook. Much better. I shall have to get used to such a different Sim compared with FS9. Practice, lad.

Sorry to sound stupid, but what is the E6B?
I found it funny that everybody was trying to correct your flying when it was really a views problem. Most people who use snap views set their forward view far back enough (using the down arrow key) so that they can see all their instruments. Hit F10 to save the head position. Spend some time with the keyboard controls, I think once you get used to the system, you'll have no problems.

In game, E6B is a flight computer which displays lots of useful data. It's on the clipboard (hit ESC while in flight). In real life, isn't it a set of slide rules? It's on certain watches and it's mainly used for in flight calculations.
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline eccles64

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 01:05:38 AM »
Thanks Guys,
I should be OK now, just practice until I stop breaking planes.

em hotep
em hotep
Eccles

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 01:31:08 AM »
I don't think you really want to use mouse view too much. It will be quite slow and especially in a dogfight it will be tougher to keep sight of your enemy than the hat on your joystick. Spend a little time on how to adjust your head position, which was mentioned briefly above.
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/views/views.htm
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 01:50:21 AM »
I don't think you really want to use mouse view too much. It will be quite slow and especially in a dogfight it will be tougher to keep sight of your enemy than the hat on your joystick. Spend a little time on how to adjust your head position, which was mentioned briefly above.
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/views/views.htm
For some people this is probably true. Personally, I have no problems with left-hand mouse look/right hand joystick configuration in a dogfight. It allows me to track my target as well as I could with HAT views. I have added advantages in that I can get a max zoom on an opponent very far out to determine his attitude/intent and I can also easily glance at my instruments. Throttle is mapped to mouse wheel, rear view to right mouse button, forward view to left mouse button (to quickly reset to default view).

Edit: this is much better on a plane with naturally good visibility like a 190 or PonyD. Using this system on something like a 109K makes me wish I had TrackIR. Still it does work.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 02:28:12 AM by boomerlu »
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 05:27:54 PM »
The movies I posted right HERE:

http://techvideoreview.com/FlightSimMovies/AcesHigh/Training/AcesHighTrainingByPeabodyPage02Full.htm

Will help you configure your view keys and optimize your experience with Aces High. They were created with absolute beginners in mind. Since you already have a lot of experience with FS9, you already know the stuff covered in my other movies. These are spot-on for your needs now.

I hope it helps!

-Peabody-

Offline eccles64

• Zinc Member
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 06:24:34 PM »
The movies I posted right HERE:

http://techvideoreview.com/FlightSimMovies/AcesHigh/Training/AcesHighTrainingByPeabodyPage02Full.htm

Will help you configure your view keys and optimize your experience with Aces High. They were created with absolute beginners in mind. Since you already have a lot of experience with FS9, you already know the stuff covered in my other movies. These are spot-on for your needs now.

I hope it helps!

-Peabody-

Thanks mate, All those videos will help. At the moment I cant workout who are enemy and I cont get my gunnery accurate enough. I have all the controls set up well, even the gun trigger on my stick, so I don't have to muck about. So I'll see how I go. I'll bunr those videos to a DVD and watch them on my 50" TV
em hotep
Eccles

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 06:55:10 PM »
Glad to hear you're on your way to solving the views.  As far as gunnery, you mentioned accuracy problems.  Check your convergence settings in the hanger.  I think default is 250 for most planes.  There are many opinions as to what is best.  A lot depends on the type of guns/ammo and your play style.

Let's say your convergence is 300.  If you are dead straight on someone's tail in level flight, put the pipper on target and when at 300 yards out you'll hit him.  If you're closer than 300, you need to aim a little lower; if farther than 300, you aim a little higher.  Now, if you're pulling any g's because your target won't sit still, you'll have to lead your target to hit him.  How much lead depends on how far away and how hard you're pulling.

All this is best practiced offline or in the online training arena.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline tokenjo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 10:36:22 PM »
Eccles,  you'll find in your preferences stick settings a advanced
button.  If you click it will open a winders with slider tabs.
I believe there is another box on that window to click to change
them ??  For the elevator axis you should have it in the
shape of a hockey stick .. Starting low on the left gradually
working up with the last two tabs almost at the top.  This
should help settle your elevator movements down.

Also, note on assigning buttons on your stick in global.
There is mode 1, mode 2, mode 3 etc.  You can assign
a button to mode 2,  you can copy all mode 1 to mode 2.
Then you can change your hat keys assigned to views to
give you additional view options.  Ie: mode 1 left hat key
equals view left .  Mode 2 left hat key equals view left back.
Just make sure you map the same button in mode 2 to switch
back to mode one.  I have a ch with 8 way hat, this works better
IMHO.   

Return, you can use the search to look up more info on scaling also
deadbands - dampening settings.   Also search for the method to
turn on the lead computing site offline.  Good practice for lead shots.

Have fun,  join Bish. ; ). The other guys kinda smell ... <G>

tokenjo

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 10:51:15 PM »
At the moment I cant workout who are enemy and I cont get my gunnery accurate enough.
Gunnery is such a huge topic and difficult enough to master that I'd suggest you just fly and fight and not worry about it for a bit. You will develop a feeling for the appropriate time to fire and appropriate lead, etc with experience and primarily through experience. This has been my experience, though my gunnery still isn't great. On the other hand, some of the better sticks i.e., guys like moot and mtnman, also advocate "using the force".

There are some articles which discuss the academic side of gunnery, but the techniques discussed have a relatively narrow range of applicability.

That said, these are great articles and a fascinating read.

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_028a.html
http://www.simhq.com/_air9/air_268a.html
http://www.simhq.com/_air9/air_269a.html
http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_031a.html

While this is nice to think about and have in your head, my personal suggestion is to just fly the game and get a feeling for guns for now.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 10:53:24 PM by boomerlu »
boomerlu
JG11

Offline eccles64

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 11:17:15 PM »
I'd like to thank all you guys for your kind help. Although I have had FS9 for some time now and can fly just about any fixed wing aircraft, Aces High proved to be quite different. I am getting used to flying the planes now. I just tried the P38 and it is great. I realised I did not have on in my FS9, cant understand how I missed that one as I had one of those scale recognition models. My father used to make boxes for them for a customer during the War. I was kindly given a P38 and I think a Hurricane. That was 60 years ago. I had many toy planes. I wish I had them now. I did just get the P38 for my FS9, but made a rather bad landing at RAF Scampton  :o. I did not bend the plane, but the CO would have been furious.

:airplane:

em hotep
Eccles

Offline warhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 04:58:43 AM »
I did just get the P38 for my FS9, but made a rather bad landing at RAF Scampton  :o. I did not bend the plane, but the CO would have been furious.

Oh, I think you're going to fit in just about perfect around here  ;)
warhed
=Wings of Terror=

"Give me sheep, or give me death!"

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 03:28:19 PM »
Eccles,

I to have flown FS9&10 quite alot,tho I admit I havent used the latest version alot.

First thing you'll notice you dont have the flight parameters that FS has,the closest AH has is stall limiter,this is found in options,preferences,flight. I suggest you turn that off and learn to fly without it,IIRC it's set to on by default.

Secondly the flight model in AH is far superior to anything FS has to offer and this may well be why your having some difficulties and why FS is much easier.

The view system is highly important,as in "lose sight,lose fight" so I suggest you adjust your views to get to optimum view for each hatswitch position.It's advisable to map a button for "look up" as this can be combined with the hat for additional views.

I've been quite busy with RL problems as of late but soon that should be done and I urge you to look me up or any trainer for that matter in the training arena and I'll gladly walk you through as much of the game commands and options as possible.

Just a reminder,your free 2 weeks starts as soon as you log online,so make the most of offline practice as you can and when ready venture into the training arena and dont be afraid to ask for help,there's usually many players around who will help if there doesnt happen to be a trainer in the arena at the time.

:salute