Author Topic: Computer for TV  (Read 370 times)

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
Computer for TV
« on: October 28, 2009, 12:47:15 PM »
 Looking to add a computer to wife's TV. In addition to normal computing she wants to be able to view Netflix and other down loadable shows. I have two computers to rob for parts.

So here is my question, given the parts I have, what needs be added to make this happen. TV is a 32 inch flat panel Samsung LCD/HDTV.

Here is the list of parts I already have.
 Intel Q6600 2.4 Ghz quad
 XFX SLI 680i LT
 4GB DDR2 Ram
 NV 8800GTS
 2-250GB WD 7200rpm
 ----------------
 Intel E8400 3.0 Ghz Dual
 GigaB EP45-UD3R
 4GB Ram
 8800GTX
 WD Raptor 150GB
----------------

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Computer for TV
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 01:08:22 PM »
Change the video resolution on the computer to something the television can handle...run a VGA or DVI cable from the video card to the correct input on the television and go from there. You will get better graphics if that television has a DVI input.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 03:52:28 PM »
Can I have the parts you don't use? They all outspec my PC by far. :D

Unless you're going to be gaming on it (which you generally wouldn't since text becomes REALLY tiny in most games at those resolutions), you can use pretty much any computer. Mine works more than adequately. I'm betting you could even take a Dell dumper off the shelf and do it. Only thing you need is an adapter (if the TV and/or video card doesn't have DVI) or appropriate cable and to set the resolution to a proper size and frequency. Most video cards will have a wizard or something in their driver control panel to help you along with it if it doesn't autodetect.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 04:20:23 PM »
 Ok so its more about having the correct output cabling more than hardware. Ok, I'm going to hook up one to the TV and see what I need.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 04:33:56 PM »
As long as you've got about everything elso go buy a tuner card so you can use it to Tivo TV shows.  IIRC decent ones are around $100.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 04:53:19 PM »
What's model number of samsung TV?
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 04:56:23 PM »
 Thanks Baldeagle. I'll look into that. Hooked everything up to test and it worked. Turns out there was a PC output on back of TV. Easy! So now its just a matter of getting a nicer looking case, a TB HD, and some wireless accessories and the TV will be computer friendly!

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 04:57:29 PM »
 Not sure what the model number is kermit. Everythings working.

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 05:13:32 PM »
sweet!

I also have a samsung 32" connected to my PC.  I run resolution at 1360x768 (Native PC input resolution @ 60Hz).

Different TV inputs have different resolution and frequency requirements and so the manual can help you determine the best and also valid resolutions.

Some DVI inputs require DVI-HDCP and will not work unless your video card is also capable of HCDP.  If it's VGA, then no HDCP is to be worried about.

If you see pixel jitter, your cable is probably too long, dirty or cheap VGA cable/filter.  If you use the S-video, ouch!  If you use component, it's better than S-video, but may not be as good as your VGA in quality, but can be better in resolution given your TV has a poor VGA input resolution selection.

There's more to it, but all is well.

If you want to post your resolution and which cable you used, we can confirm that it's the best way or offer another way.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 08:49:14 PM »
  I had expected to have to replace the VC or have to get some special card. I do have a lot of extra cable's and other odds and ends from other projects. That will be something to look at after I get it all together. Now its just about getting the other parts I need and get it going.

My plan is to use the quad core computer. Replace the HD's with a TB HD(s). Get some wireless goodies, such as keyboard and mouse. Connect it to the router. Possibly add a tuner card and a desktop case. And use Windows 7 as an operating system.