Author Topic: Itunes and IPOD's  (Read 894 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: Itunes and IPOD's
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2009, 08:02:57 AM »
iTunes totally messed up all my son's songs that he had on his Zune. In the Zune software it allowed at least I think an easier way to tag music and edit the artist and album names and tracks without having to jump through hoops. At least that is my experience so far with him only having his iPod Touch for about a month. We had all his Guns N' Roses songs edited and labeled to be just like the band name; now they are screwed up.

operator error...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2009, 02:47:07 AM »
I'm probably wrong to comment here.  I gave up trying to maintain an organized music collection.  It takes lots of effort and/or money.  I just throw everything I have at Windows Media Player and let the chips fall.

For casual exploration of music I use Rhapsody and just pick what I want to listen to off their service.  It's kind of like having millions of tracks available on demand.  Well, in fact it is.

But, it's no sonic utopia.  Invariably, there's always at least one song I want to hear that they don't have rights to stream.  Or, their really poor search and presentation facilities make it impossible to find what you're looking for.

Still, you can listen to Rhapsody radio for free, and pick 25 songs from their menu for free each month.  Honestly, that's more than I usually use.

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2009, 02:50:47 AM »
Oh, i forgot...    iTunes makes my PC  c...r...a...w...l  and it adds at least three new items to the list in Task Manager.    So, forgetaboutit.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2009, 10:15:58 AM »
I have ripped close to one thousand cd's to apple lossless and have them stored on a nas drive for use with my sonos system. Some day i may get finished ripping them all but dont think ill bother with the junk. Itunes has never given me any trouble over the several versions ive had. Ive heard complaints from those that has bought music from itunes in the past though.

I dont have a single tune on my ipod the traditional way. I use the brilliant Spotify program in online and offline mode for music on the pod.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2009, 10:29:53 AM »
I have ripped close to one thousand cd's to apple lossless and have them stored on a nas drive for use with my sonos system. Some day i may get finished ripping them all but dont think ill bother with the junk. Itunes has never given me any trouble over the several versions ive had. Ive heard complaints from those that has bought music from itunes in the past though.

I dont have a single tune on my ipod the traditional way. I use the brilliant Spotify program in online and offline mode for music on the pod.

I know some DJ's that use Ipod(s) when they work.  They have a dual system setup like 2 turntables.  It really doesn't work for me.  The software I use allows me to seamlessly beat-mix, save my mixes (if I really like them for future use) and a host of other options such as slowing down/speeding up a song without changing the pitch (think Chipmunks).  It is really nice to be able to slow down a song to teach a line dance without it sounding like a bunch of mush.  It's easier than finding a song with slower BPM's to teach the dance to.  It also helps the folks learning the dance to remember which steps are used in different parts of the song (since it is the same song).  My software can also play karaoke (with the lyrics on a secondary monitor) and I can mix music videos  (but I rarely play videos)
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2009, 10:46:15 AM »
I was a dj in the good old vinyl days with two 1210's and a table :old: Cd mixing systems were just starting to arrive. They cost an arm and a leg and was completly useless.  :old:

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2009, 12:56:09 PM »
operator error...

Not likely since the operator (me) knows quite a bit about the various aspects of tagging and editing the music. So move along.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2009, 01:09:50 PM »
well iTunes wont overwrite any tags unless you ask it to, and editing them is a matter of selecting the track (or album, artist, playlist etc for multiples), hitting Ctrl-I and typing the tag. hardly "jumping through hoops"...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2009, 01:11:07 PM »
You can also select a whole bunch of tracks and mass-edit their tags all at once. Quite honestly the ONLY feature of iTunes I enjoy.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2009, 01:40:51 PM »
I was a dj in the good old vinyl days with two 1210's and a table :old: Cd mixing systems were just starting to arrive. They cost an arm and a leg and was completly useless.  :old:

They skipped worse than vinyl, employees scratch them (and don't tell you about it but you find out when the Bride/Groom's first dance song is on it).

I had a few mini-disc players which were great.  The only problem I ever had with them is when the guys lost them or didn't put them back in the right place.  You get used to the main ones you use being "right there", but when you grab for it, it is the wrong one.

It's a shame that they didn't catch on that well, here in the states.  

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2009, 01:55:33 PM »
Could you adjust pitch on mini-disc players?

I was done before minidisc was available. Soundquality was not the best on that format, but very handy indeed.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 01:57:39 PM by Nilsen »

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2009, 02:14:37 PM »
Could you adjust pitch on mini-disc players?

I was done before minidisc was available. Soundquality was not the best on that format, but very handy indeed.

On my players, you could (iirc) go 6% either way.  It was enough to slap-mix songs together but not nearly as seamless as today's software  :)

It still beat putting those damn tags on the vinyl  :old:

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2009, 02:17:54 PM »
mmmmmmm vinyl!!  :old:

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2009, 02:34:24 PM »
If you have time, you can strip DRM from your music pretty easily.  Just burn it to CD, then re-rip it as mp3 without DRM.  Yea you lose a little quality but most can't tell the difference.

everything from Itunes now is DRM free
119th Riffle Tank Regiment leader -Red Storm Krupp Steel Scenario

Active Member of Air Heritage Inc. http://airheritage.org/