Author Topic: I'm in! Today was the greatest day of my life.....thus far  (Read 1478 times)

Offline balance1

• Copper Member
I'm in! Today was the greatest day of my life.....thus far
« on: October 29, 2009, 09:26:31 PM »
As of 19:25 zulu today i took a very big step into entering an elite fraternity. One of men who walk the earth with their eyes turned skywards, for we have tasted flight and flight is where we long to return. In short I SOLOED!

You know your a dweeb when you love flight sims so much, you believe you can do it better and go start your own flight sim company.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: I'm in! Today was the greatest day of my life.....thus far
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 09:33:51 PM »
Congratulations, Balance1.

I hope you have a great experience going forward from here.

:aok
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SB

• Administrator
      • http://home.swbell.net/hmason
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 09:54:11 PM »
Yeah I can remember the day I solo'd. Was busy getting the Cessna off the ground, flaps up, throttled back to go around the pattern and then looked over at the right seat to see it was empty.....talk about a great feeling even if it was a bit drafty after I lost my shirttail.

SB

Offline Flipperk

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 10:00:15 PM »
I remember my first solo...

... I looked over at the right seat being empty...the aircraft weighed 200 pounds less

I felt alone, helpless, and unsure of myself.....

.....then i started my preflight..

It is 2 Cents or .02 Dollars...NOT .02 Cents!

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 10:10:04 PM »
Balance, hearty congratulations and please take some of my deepest envy for seconds :D

S!
batfink
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 10:42:37 PM »
As of 19:25 zulu today i took a very big step into entering an elite fraternity. One of men who walk the earth with their eyes turned skywards, for we have tasted flight and flight is where we long to return. In short I SOLOED!

Congrats, dude, it's a great feeling you'll not forget.

- oldman

Offline bcadoo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 10:44:15 PM »
Welcome to the club  :aok
The fight is the fun........Don't run from the fun!
"Nothin' cuts the taste of clam juice like a big hunk o' chocolate" - Rosie O'Donnell

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 10:44:28 PM »
Congrats!  It was a long time ago, but contrary to CorkyJr's cartoon flying ability, I did not auger the Piper Warrior II I soloed in.  N3332Q.  I've never forgotten that ID :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 10:44:48 PM »
balance1   :salute

Many happy landings!~  :aok

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 11:15:17 PM »
Congrats although I wouldn't classify it as an elite fraternity if the likes of SB and myself can belong to it. :D

I was at the tender age of 16 when I soloed at an Air Force Base aero club.  I wasn't afraid of crashing but I was afraid of not understanding radio communications with tower and breaking some protocol or instruction.  I was flying a Cessna 152 and I had 11000 feet of runway.

I was flying around the pattern when a pair of A-10's came in with the call signs of Pyro 1 and Pyro 2.  Years later when signing up for Air Warrior I thought of that when picking a call sign.

Another notable thing that I remember is that being young and dumb, I never took heed to all the patches of signed cloth hung on the wall of the aero club.  I was completely oblivious to the tradition and wore my favorite shirt to my solo.  When my instructor greeted me with a pair of scissors I was horrified at the thought of having my favorite shirt butchered and thought she was joking.  After having the shirt tails pointed out to me on the wall, I sacrificed my favorite shirt.  I just wished that I had known about that before.  Not only did I ruin my favorite shirt, I had to ride my bike back home with a missing chunk out of my shirt.

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 11:35:53 PM »
A draughty Kirby Cadet TX Mk.3 glider was my first solo ride, at RAF Old Sarum a l-o-n-g time ago. Unforgettable. Went on to train on Chipmunks and flew a Tiger Moth for a bit, but there's nothing like your first time up there alone.

Fly long and prosper, Grasshopper!

:salute
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 11:57:23 PM »

Congratulation!!!! I certainly remember my first solo as if it was yesterday and it has been 45 years ago.  :airplane:
Another great experience is building your own airplane and then getting in it and flying it the first time. The airplane I built is an RV-6 which
is where my name comes from.

I think the thing that makes me more nervous than anything else now is watching my students solo for the first time :pray
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 06:02:25 AM »
congrats .

solo'ed myself 1992 in a ultralight trike  , and later moved to cubs due to climate here .
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline beddog

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 06:32:06 AM »
Great going pal and welcome to the REAL pilots club.
:disclaimer: 79% of all my posts are Sarcastic.  It's too much work for me to point out which posts are sarcastic and which aren't, so I'm going to use this signature to reduce overhead and sarcastic post identification time consumption or SPITC for short.

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 07:39:58 AM »
Wtg balance.  Stay sharp.  Have fun.

And, it is the greatest day of your life so far.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers