Author Topic: B17 Gunsight Question  (Read 760 times)

Offline rosburn

• Zinc Member
      • OcuFlight Simulations
B17 Gunsight Question
« on: October 28, 2009, 06:53:55 AM »
I have finally learned the "convergence" lesson and determined that convergence is far more important than "Kentucky windage", deflection or elevation sight adjustments. My kills have dramatically improved with the patience to allow enemy planes to approach the convergence zone and sometimes I throttle back to allow convergence to unexpectedly embrace a lingering contact. I am using the GERMAN 16REVI D sight reticule and have noticed that convergence from the different gun positions occur at different elevations on the lower side of the sight reticule. I wanted to ask for advice on what seems to be the best sight to use in the B17 gun stations. Thanks in advance!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: B17 Gunsight Question
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 11:28:52 AM »
You will experience this effect with every gunsight. The reason for this is that you are mostly not shooting into the direction of your flight path, so the airflow will affect the bullets in a very different way, depending on angle.
Which gunsight is helping you, most is much a matter of personal preference and getting used to it. Personally, I prefer gunsights with less detail that can clutter up my view, like the American K14 or the British Type 2, but you may find the additional lines & dots in the Revi16D helpful for tracking a specific angle.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 03:55:25 PM »
In common with Lusche I much prefer an uncluttered gunsite.  I preferred to use full zoom with the default site on every bomber except the Lancaster.  For some reason I had more success with default view in the lanc.

You will notice at ranges beyond 400 the tracers will drop.  So I always aimed slightly high and for the cockpit / pilot kill.  However once the hit sprites start registering just hold the trigger down.

If my bomber had a belly gun I found that the most effective position to get those slow cons coming on the level or lower 6.  If they were a lot lower I would wait till D400 or until they pulled up for a shot before firing  :lol

Your doing the right thing slowing down for some of those fighters.  Many will not be at their optimum speed.  Why let them  :D

Remember if you use max zoom the reset for it, to default zoom, is just "shift + Z". 

Offline Ratpack1

• Nickel Member
      • The Ryan Sayer Show @ OnTilt Radio
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 07:30:20 PM »
I also find it useful and rather comical to let a fighter get a full head of steam and start a run on me, then I chop the throttle or reduce it greatly when they are between 1 and 1.5. They usually either go zooming right by and I can snipe em as they do, or they come on you much sooner than they were planning and it messes up their rhythm.
When you get where you're going, that's where you are! -Mike Brady
172nd Rabid Dawgs
"The Real" Commander of Awesome (Stick "Ozzie Nelson" Pig)

Offline rosburn

• Zinc Member
      • OcuFlight Simulations
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 07:38:26 PM »
I tried that tactic recently with great results! Thanks!

Offline WGUtah

• Zinc Member
      • RockyMtRoughnecks
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 02:32:19 PM »
I discovered that the convergence between all three bombers in formation is 500, by being up the practice target (.target 500).  At 1000 the spread is amazing (.target 1000).  Is there a set of dot commands or other way to move the convergence?

www.2damendment.com

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 02:38:05 PM by WGUtah »
Lead, follow, or get out of the way
2damendment.com

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 03:47:26 PM »
 Is there a set of dot commands or other way to move the convergence?

No, the bomber gun convergence is fixed and can't be changed

Picture by Fuzeman
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman