Author Topic: Hotas Warthog?  (Read 5952 times)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Re: Hotas Warthog?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 01:24:41 PM »
Supposed to be in the same ball park as the other recently released setups. My guess is somewhere in the $300-$400 range. Hall Sensors are kick butt for what they do and I have not had any degradation in my HS kit in my modified RCS pedals. That kit was installed almost 4 years ago.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 06:02:22 PM »
I wonder how it's internals will compare to an Uber NXT Cougar? Or if I can use that throttle with my Cougar stick?
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 09:55:01 PM »
From what I understand it is a USB connector so you will not be able to use your Cougar. From some early information that has leaked out onto the proverbial grapevine so to speak it is a nice movement and is better than the NXT gimbals.
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 11:06:42 PM »
16-bit resolution (65536 x 65536 values)

One thing that always bothers me about the CH Fighterstick is that it only uses 256 values to describe each axis (that's 8 bit).  If its anything like every other device that's been improved from 8 bit to 16 bit over the past 30 years, this will be a welcome and noticeable improvement.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 10:46:36 AM »
One thing that always bothers me about the CH Fighterstick is that it only uses 256 values to describe each axis (that's 8 bit).  If its anything like every other device that's been improved from 8 bit to 16 bit over the past 30 years, this will be a welcome and noticeable improvement.

Absolutely - that's one thing I hated most about going to the CH Fighter gear from my modded MS FF2.

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 07:56:46 AM »
Release date is 5/19/2010 according to the Thrustmaster website now and a retail price of...

Authentication confirmed of acquisition parameters at €399 following the prescribed plan of action.

As I posted just a minute ago on simhq.com €399...That comes to around 505.340 USD based on todays exchange rate listed on XE.com.

This makes it a no go for me based on lack of information and the price alone at this time.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 08:27:54 AM by Reschke »
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Shakey

• Zinc Member
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 08:13:16 AM »
I use a MS FFB2 and use Win7 Pro 64bit and have all the forces no problem

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 08:28:31 AM »
I use a MS FFB2 and use Win7 Pro 64bit and have all the forces no problem

Force Feedback has nothing to do with this one buddy. I think you got mixed up on the one you were clicking on.
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline TC31st

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 09:35:52 AM »

WOW a very cool new toy!  I thought Thrustmaster was done - they have been pretty much off the radar for quite a while, now we know why.

cactus-yeh, I was wondering the same thing...modded uber NXT Cougar go in on 4 yrs now, but sure would love that throttle setup.

Looks like TM finally got a clue and replaced the crap gymbal-pot system they were using - something serious gamers were doing to their Cougars almost immediately. (A game like AH will wear the oem stuff out in 6 months or less.) :joystick: 

An NXT mod + Hall sensors + original HOTAS although a thing of beauty when complete, could cost somewhere around $700 -- kind of psychotic if ya stop to think about, but then again that's what "justification" is for. 

From the preliminary pricing it looks like TM is shooting for ~ $ 200 less than that figure.  I guess they figure enough people spent considerably more to mod the original Cougar, so they will pay $500 for it in the box with all the goodies.  Makes sense but a lot of (relatively sane) people would balk at that number??

Interestingly, looking at that picture, I think they eliminated the entire gymbal system (which would be a good thing) or miniaturized it to fit in that tiny base..there can't be any springs in there either...hmmmm wonder how they engineered the resistance in and got 360 degree ROM and 2 Hall sensors in there??

I guess I could spend $500 to find out, but that's just crazy talk!! :rolleyes:

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2010, 01:26:54 PM »
Me wants.....
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 03:57:01 PM »
Interestingly, looking at that picture, I think they eliminated the entire gymbal system (which would be a good thing) or miniaturized it to fit in that tiny base..there can't be any springs in there either...hmmmm wonder how they engineered the resistance in and got 360 degree ROM and 2 Hall sensors in there??

Check out this thread and you will see the insides that make up the HEART technology that TM is so proud of.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2994817/Idea_for_modding_a_Cougar_just.html#Post2994817

As I said at Simhq.com...right now this one is a no go for me. I just can't justify $500+ USD for ONE something to play games with. It was hard enough the first time around with the stock Cougar which is just fine for me. I will wait and see how this one performs once it comes out instead of jumping on the bandwagon immediately.
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 05:47:53 PM »
Force Feedback has nothing to do with this one buddy. I think you got mixed up on the one you were clicking on.

He was responding to the OP.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline TC31st

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 08:28:07 AM »
Check out this thread and you will see the insides that make up the HEART technology that TM is so proud of.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2994817/Idea_for_modding_a_Cougar_just.html#Post2994817

As I said at Simhq.com...right now this one is a no go for me. I just can't justify $500+ USD for ONE something to play games with. It was hard enough the first time around with the stock Cougar which is just fine for me. I will wait and see how this one performs once it comes out instead of jumping on the bandwagon immediately.

very interesting.   Actually looks pretty crappo - thought for a second there that TM finally figured out to put quality inside as well as outside but I guess not..umm, no thanks I'll stick with NXT which, btw is exceptional. Ian's workmanship and materials are excellent although expensive, but you get your money's worth and he is a stand up guy - you need anything, he is right there!

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 11:45:08 AM »
Does anyone have a picture of the front of the throttle?  As it stands, that looks like an awful lot of buttons in pretty useless places...
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2010, 01:33:07 PM »
It is supposedly copied almost 100% from the A-10 throttle box area.
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"