Author Topic: Recomendation for joystick gear  (Read 2662 times)

Offline REVRAND

• Copper Member
      • Brids Of Prey
Re: Recomendation for joystick gear
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 10:17:18 PM »
have CH stick and pedals....................... ..150.- total on e-bay    stick brand new for 78.- ..........pedals for 65.- barely used........have had them 3 years now and no problems.........

Offline 68Hawk

• Silver Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 12:21:37 AM »
I've had an x52 for 4 years now and I don't have any problems with it.  I haven't (yet, knock on wood) experienced it decalibrating.  I like the different profiles and the other features it has.  The new pro models are even cooler.  If I ever have to get a new one that's going to be very near the top of my list (depending on what else is out in several years when mine finally wears out).  I just finally got some of the saitek pedals too, and they work great.  I like how they're farther apart than the CH pedals, and they still have the toe breaks.

I don't know about the new logitec stick that's out, but I didn't have a good experience with my old wingman when I started playing this game.  Maybe it was all the beating it took, but I had some serious flutter issues with it.  If I ever upgrade I might look into thrustmaster, though they're expensive and a little more high maintenance.  I do know people that swear by them though.
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the reaper no more fear the Lancers!
http://www.68thlightninglancers.net

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 06:28:51 AM »
Well personally I'm still flying with a MS Sidewinder Prec 2 usb.
They average 4 - 6 years of flying time before they wear out, lose a button or get sloppy.

Normally if I am patient and watch on Ebay I can pick one up for between 20 and 30$ including shipping.

It may not be ideal, but considering my lack of coordination with my feet, and the years and years of flying with them.
I really don't see myself ever switching.

That being said if I was to switch I'd most likely go for something like the Saitek Aviator or the new cyborg.
I have a squadmate with the new logitech, and I'll be talking to him regularly to see how it holds up for him.
Logitech has earned a iffy reputation for the last several years with low quality pots.
But it sounds like they are trying to climb out of that hole.

Yes CH is good, but its not perfect, and its not trouble free. They have pots and switch's go bad also.

Also I have another squadmate (Baumer) who is tinkering with the idea of building a no moving parts joystick with load cells. Which could indeed be the ultimate stick for the dedicated AH pilot. No moving parts to wear, no pots to go bad, or spike.

Find what "feels" right and suits your needs.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 01:40:31 PM »
lol dont worry gun you will be marginalized along with the other 75%..... seems alot of high minded typists love to overjoy about CH on the boards.......... truth be told they have their share of problems just like every other brand

I had my Logitech Wingman for nearly 14 years before I knocked it off my desk and stepped on it this spring........ otherwise it would still be in use......... and just as effective as any CH product on the market

Ive said it many times and will again........ the stick does not make you a better pilot.........

I dont see any CH owners admitting that they would suck if they owned a saitek or logitech ........ no because even the boastful realize that a $10 stick is just as good if you are a skilled pilot

get a stick that feels comfortable in your hand..... and has the features  (buttons, hatswitches, etc) that you think will work best with your gameplay......

otherwise there is no credible evidence that any brand is better than another

C&H isn't perfect, the 8 way hat switch is really high up on the head, you need big hands to be able to reach it comfortably. I myself use the 8 way hat switch on the throttle for views.
Doesn't have flashing lights either. :(

I have a perfectly new X-52 just collecting dust in my cupboard because it's total chit. In fact, I'm even thinking about doing a comparison write up if I believed that people felt my opinion was worth something.

Having an exspensive stick or HOTAS will not instantly make you a pro player overnight. However, it will make you reach your full potential, something that you cannot do with a £20 stick from P.C world.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 01:45:05 PM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 02:12:06 PM »
C&H isn't perfect, the 8 way hat switch is really high up on the head, you need big hands to be able to reach it comfortably. I myself use the 8 way hat switch on the throttle for views.
Doesn't have flashing lights either. :(

I have a perfectly new X-52 just collecting dust in my cupboard because it's total chit. In fact, I'm even thinking about doing a comparison write up if I believed that people felt my opinion was worth something.

Having an exspensive stick or HOTAS will not instantly make you a pro player overnight. However, it will make you reach your full potential, something that you cannot do with a £20 stick from P.C world.

Agreed.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 04:23:25 PM »
even if you dont reach your full potential at least you'll feel like an ace :D when u switch from a regular stick to one with separate throttle controls.  gives you more realism.  :airplane:

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline 68Hawk

• Silver Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 04:58:44 PM »
I don't know why everyone complains about Saitek.  All in all they're good quality.  Could be stronger, but things could always be stronger.  The only actual complaint I have is that the spring isn't very tight, but it's something I quickly got used to.  Other than that I'd love force feedback, and I would have preferred to see FFB in their new stick rather than the no movement whatever you call it.

Saitek is still good stuff, but everyone has their own preferences.

Edit:  Oh yeah, a survey of the gear at the CON showed a heavy predominance of Saitek gear, with CH also proving very popular, either with stick and throttle or flight yoke.
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the reaper no more fear the Lancers!
http://www.68thlightninglancers.net

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 07:54:27 PM »
I don't know why everyone complains about Saitek.  All in all they're good quality.  Could be stronger, but things could always be stronger.  The only actual complaint I have is that the spring isn't very tight, but it's something I quickly got used to.  Other than that I'd love force feedback, and I would have preferred to see FFB in their new stick rather than the no movement whatever you call it.

Saitek is still good stuff, but everyone has their own preferences.

Edit:  Oh yeah, a survey of the gear at the CON showed a heavy predominance of Saitek gear, with CH also proving very popular, either with stick and throttle or flight yoke.

The Saitek X-52 is a fantastic setup for the price, which about sums it up in my opinion. However, I can't get over the mechanical dead zone which plagues the X-52. It's still a massive step up from a standalone joystick. Being able to control every aspect of your game without adjusting you grip to much is a massive necessity if you want to improve.

The question you need to ask yourself is this. "Do I love the game enough to spend the extra money for a full CH setup". My answer was yes to that question, obviously. Was it worth it, without a doubt!

On the topic of this supposed "survey  of the gear at the CON". I can well believe that more players had Saitek gear rather than CH, I bet most of them drive an SUV, but does that mean said SUV is better than Ferrari? No offence intended btw, I still drive around on a scooter. :D

Sometime next year, after the holidays are over, I'm going to put my CH gear aside and dust off my old X-52. I will no doubt spend a couple months, if not more time on evaluating it for a fair but just write up. Whether or not my opinion matters to anyone on these forums is another question. However, I've come across many video reviews on YouTube which praise the X-52. I completely disregard anything that comes out of their mouth when they can barely take off and land without crashing on an arcade game, let alone perform advanced aerial combat manoeuvres or pull God like snapshot in a fully fledged flight combat simulation game which I have the ability of doing.

To the AH2 community, please let me know if  either a CH and/or a X-52 review would be of any use to you. I would only do a review if enough people from the forum showed interest. It would be my way of giving back to the community.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 09:53:39 PM by Kazaa »

Offline batch

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 08:54:44 PM »
I can well believe that more players had Saitek gear rather than CH, I bet most of them drive an SUV, but does that mean said SUV is better than Ferrari? No offence intended btw, I still drive around on a scooter. :D

well that depends........ do you plan to drive your ferrari uphill through the mud carrying a deer?
"theres nothin like wakin up with a Dickens Cider" - Dickens Fruit Stand

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 09:01:20 PM »
well that depends........ do you plan to drive your ferrari uphill through the mud carrying a deer?

No, the bulter takes care of that for them.

P.S: Out of the wall of text I wrote, I love how you try to nitpick my quote. I could well have worded it as follows "I bet most of them drive an SUV and not Ferrari's also". kkthnxbye.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 09:19:21 PM by Kazaa »

Offline batch

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 09:42:39 PM »
it was picked apart because its an absolutely ridiculous analogy

and now on to the additional text you added in your edit that I found quite humorous........ at least if I understand you correctly.........

its your opinion that your ability to perform "god like" maneuvers is a direct result from having a CH setup? and in your opinion its not possible for someone without a CH to be "god like" such as yourself?

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 09:54:29 PM »
Did you read my previous post?

Having an exspensive stick or HOTAS will not instantly make you a pro player overnight. However, it will make you reach your full potential.

You answered that question for yourself. Yes I have the "ability", but having the precision of CH gear means I can do EVERYTHING just that much more PRECISE.

As far as analogy goes, my one wasn't the best but was good enough to get my point across. It was hardy "picked apart".

Please don't try to start a debate with me, your stupidity is giving me a headache.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 10:22:11 PM by Kazaa »

Offline batch

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2009, 10:43:15 PM »
Edit: maturity has its rewards......... someday you might reach them
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 11:08:07 PM by batch »

Offline REVRAND

• Copper Member
      • Brids Of Prey
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2009, 11:42:23 PM »
The Saitek X-52 is a fantastic setup for the price, which about sums it up in my opinion. However, I can't get over the mechanical dead zone which plagues the X-52. It's still a massive step up from a standalone joystick. Being able to control every aspect of your game without adjusting you grip to much is a massive necessity if you want to improve.

The question you need to ask yourself is this. "Do I love the game enough to spend the extra money for a full CH setup". My answer was yes to that question, obviously. Was it worth it, without a doubt!

On the topic of this supposed "survey  of the gear at the CON". I can well believe that more players had Saitek gear rather than CH, I bet most of them drive an SUV, but does that mean said SUV is better than Ferrari? No offence intended btw, I still drive around on a scooter. :D

Sometime next year, after the holidays are over, I'm going to put my CH gear aside and dust off my old X-52. I will no doubt spend a couple months, if not more time on evaluating it for a fair but just write up. Whether or not my opinion matters to anyone on these forums is another question. However, I've come across many video reviews on YouTube which praise the X-52. I completely disregard anything that comes out of their mouth when they can barely take off and land without crashing on an arcade game, let alone perform advanced aerial combat manoeuvres or pull God like snapshot in a fully fledged flight combat simulation game which I have the ability of doing.

To the AH2 community, please let me know if  either a CH and/or a X-52 review would be of any use to you. I would only do a review if enough people from the forum showed interest. It would be my way of giving back to the community.

Have paid $16.03 for 5 years now so investing in CH   was the only way to go......

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2009, 12:16:53 AM »
Did you read my previous post?

You answered that question for yourself. Yes I have the "ability", but having the precision of CH gear means I can do EVERYTHING just that much more PRECISE.

As far as analogy goes, my one wasn't the best but was good enough to get my point across. It was hardy "picked apart".

Please don't try to start a debate with me, your stupidity is giving me a headache.

Ignore it Kazaa.   It isn't worth sacrificing 30+ IQ points for.   

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC