Author Topic: Saitek X65F  (Read 3815 times)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Re: Saitek X65F
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 08:14:31 AM »
I suppose it would be interesting to see if by using the FF signal from a game such as AH the input to output relationship changes such that stick inputs have to increase to over come heavy control forces or indeed become non existant when (like in stall) the control forces are minimal.

Are there any reviews comparing the X65F to a FF stick?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:22:53 AM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 10:05:15 AM »
My CH at home is shot and unless it gets a bunch of bad reviews I think I'm going to get a X65 as a replacement.  I've used the actual F-16 stick in a simulator.  It took me about 30 seconds to get used to it.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 10:11:13 AM »
I've used the actual F-16 stick in a simulator. 

Wouldn't that be a simulated stick?  :devil

:bolt:
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 10:33:53 AM »
 :rofl There goes this mornings coffee, off to get another cup.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 12:42:52 PM »
My CH at home is shot and unless it gets a bunch of bad reviews I think I'm going to get a X65 as a replacement.  I've used the actual F-16 stick in a simulator.  It took me about 30 seconds to get used to it.

But - But . . . Ch stuff NEVER wears out, right?  That's what I always read on the boards here.  Somebody's not being entirely honest . . .

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 12:48:15 PM »

Will be interested in your review .................... as a flight sim player.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2009, 03:22:14 AM »
It took me about 30 seconds to get used to it.

Yeh, it could be that my prejudice against this type of solution is a bit too strong. The idea just somehow feels a bit weird considering I fly primarily fly Aces High and the occasional glider in Condor or old singles in MSFS. For example, flying a WWI fighter with this kind of stick kinda takes away the "fighting the controls-feel" of it...probably sounds a bit silly to many though. :)

Anyway, it's an interesting move from Saitek and definately enjoys a lot of benefits over the more traditional designs. One thing I would like to have in my next stick is force feedback. I haven't really flown with such a stick at all. So that would make me lean towards the G940.

Considering the relative calm in the consumer combat sim flightcontoller developments, the fact that four top end hotas systems are hitting the market in a short time frame certainly makes it an interesting situation. Having had a CH-setup since '96 I really really look forward of the new CH hotas. Regarding modern features, CH sticks have been lagging behind for years IMO. It's their overall quality and control precision that has made them the best sticks on the market but features like rotaries, throttle dedents and better input cencors should have been introduced ages ago.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 04:27:00 AM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2009, 04:53:03 AM »
Yeh, it could be that my prejudice against this type of solution is a bit too strong. The idea just somehow feels a bit weird considering I fly primarily fly Aces High and the occasional glider in Condor or old singles in MSFS. For example, flying a WWI fighter with this kind of stick kinda takes away the "fighting the controls-feel" of it...probably sounds a bit silly to many though. :)

Anyway, it's an interesting move from Saitek and definately enjoys a lot of benefits over the more traditional designs. One thing I would like to have in my next stick is force feedback. I haven't really flown with such a stick at all. So that would make me lean towards the G940.

Considering the relative calm in the consumer combat sim flightcontoller developments, the fact that four top end hotas systems are hitting the market in a short time frame certainly makes it an interesting situation. Having had a CH-setup since '96 I really really look forward of the new CH hotas. Regarding modern features, CH sticks have been lagging behind for years IMO. It's their overall quality and control precision that has made them the best sticks on the market but features like rotaries, throttle dedents and better input cencors should have been introduced ages ago.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Warmongo

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2009, 03:45:03 PM »
I actually moded one of my Cougar TM sticks to a FSSB R1 by Realsimulator. While it works well for jet simulators and helicopters it is a pain to use with prop plane simulators and yes, it does not move. It will give you a great arm workout in AH if you desire to, LOL. Most AH pilots would be dissapointed.

Offline Boozeman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2009, 10:57:50 AM »
I actually moded one of my Cougar TM sticks to a FSSB R1 by Realsimulator. While it works well for jet simulators and helicopters it is a pain to use with prop plane simulators and yes, it does not move. It will give you a great arm workout in AH if you desire to, LOL. Most AH pilots would be dissapointed.

Can you adjust the stick force response curve on your modded Cougar, or is it "fixed" ?

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
Wow,
go read the Saitek support forums and then decide. lol

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 07:34:46 PM »
yep also noticed it doesnt look easy to mount, which would seem to be a definite must.
Both the stick and throttle have four bolt holes near the corners of their bases; their purpose is to allow you to mount a retaining plate (unfortunately, you only get one for the set) to the bottom of the base, to which you mount the four pieces of Velcro that comes in the package, using the Velcro to stick the control to your pit.

It seems to me that, assuming that you could find bolts long enough, you could drill four holes in your desk or wherever you mount your stick and throttle, and bolt each piece directly in place for a more permanent mounting. You can readily get 3" long Phillips flat head machine screws, which would match the recesses in the bases for the bolt heads, but they may not be long enough to pass through your mounting surface and attach a nut if it's thick; searching online, lengths up to 6" are available, but ordering minimums may make buying them unattractive; it would be easier to string zip ties together to loop through two holes and fasten them in place that way. Mounting holes for fixing them down rigidly are already present; the details are up to you.

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 07:38:09 PM »
Wow,
go read the Saitek support forums and then decide. lol
The Saitek support forums are hosed; the moderators have an announcement up that, due to spambot autoregistrations, they've had to disable new registrations until further notice. None of the threads I've seen up on the forums talk about the X65F.

Offline Warmongo

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 08:44:44 PM »
I don't have a Saitek X65F. Bought a TM Warthog and I am back to my CH setup. I moded a TM Cougar with the Real Simulator FSSB R1 about two years ago for about 400 dollars. The stick does not move. It is very accurate and IT ALWAYS COMES BACK TO CENTER. Do you know what this means? Great for jet sims and bombers. That's about it. Go ahead spend your money. I still yet have to see an ACE in AH who flies one of these.

Offline james

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 09:45:15 PM »
I use the x65 and recently tried my sons x52pro and was all
over the road trying to score a kill. Took some time to get
the scale right but now I love it. I'm no ace of aces high but that
crowd probably uses ch stuff mostly as well.
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070