Author Topic: Video Card  (Read 1770 times)

Offline dirtydog

• Zinc Member
Re: Video Card
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2009, 10:42:47 AM »
I've talked to jappa about this.i think there's something up here .I personally would reformat the computer and start from scratch.I see no reason why he can't run this card in default settings in the control panel
82nd FG Homepage

Dirtydog- 82nd Fighter Group
~97th Fighter Squadron~

Offline Jappa52

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2009, 10:52:28 AM »

Yeah Dirty that is my last ditch effort. This is my only comp at home and there is a lot of stuff on it that I would need to save to disk before reformat. I just want to make sure there isnt something I'm missing.

More info.... before I installed the new card my old one was acting up. I was getting a driver failure error. Was weird because everything was fine with it until the day the new card was to arrive, then bam screen gets odd colors and twitches until it freezes up and the "The nvidia driver nv4_disp.dll is corrupt and no longer working" or something similar. Couldnt fix it by downloading new drivers for it, finally gave up and installed the new card...

Another question, why would my sounds be off or acting weird in game?
ATTAQUEZET CONQUEREZ
8TH FIGHTER GROUP

Jappa52- 36th FIGHTER SQ Flying Fiends

Offline dirtydog

• Zinc Member
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2009, 11:05:54 AM »
jappa check your pm
82nd FG Homepage

Dirtydog- 82nd Fighter Group
~97th Fighter Squadron~

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2009, 11:11:30 AM »
More info.... before I installed the new card my old one was acting up. I was getting a driver failure error. Was weird because everything was fine with it until the day the new card was to arrive, then bam screen gets odd colors and twitches until it freezes up and the "The nvidia driver nv4_disp.dll is corrupt and no longer working" or something similar. Couldnt fix it by downloading new drivers for it, finally gave up and installed the new card...

Another question, why would my sounds be off or acting weird in game?
Do you have just a single drive in that system? If there is any possibility of putting another drive in that box, do it. On the C:\ drive only your OS and programs...secondary drive should hold anything you do not want to lose if you have to reload the system.

It does sound suspiciously like you have more than just a driver/hardware issue...and a fresh reload would be the first step in figuring out the problems.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Jappa52

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2009, 10:05:54 AM »

Hey Gents,

So I bought an external hd and restored the computer to factory settings. It did seem to help but I am still getting spiking frame rates ingame. Spoke with Skuzzy (thank you for your help  :salute) about it and he seems to thank that my system is bottlenecking and preventing the card from preforming as it should.  I have started speaking with the folks at EVGA now and they are thinking the same but want to look at a few more things.

My question is; what are my options now? What can I upgrade or replace to make it work? Looking at my setup would you upgrade the motherboard or cpu or just wait and purchase a new setup down the road?

thanks for the help  :salute

jappa
ATTAQUEZET CONQUEREZ
8TH FIGHTER GROUP

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2009, 10:33:29 AM »
From what I can find your CPU is Socket 939 (I was thinking it was AM2).  This makes it worthless to upgrade the CPU, since 939 is 3 Socket types behind now.

Options:

Buy a new motherboard and CPU - AMD (~$200)
Buy a new motherboard and CPU - Intel (~$260)
Buy a new CPU and be just as bottle-necked. ($25-100)
Wait and buy all new Board/CPU, RAM, HDD, DVD and other parts to replace (Price varying)

Your RAM is currently DDR2, so even though it's slower speeds you won't need to replace it if you go the Motherboard option.  The only problem I see maybe happening is HP being annoying like normal and having made the Motherboard some funky shape so as to be un-upgradeable.  If that is true, which I hope not, you'd need a new case, which can run anywhere from $25-200+.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Jappa52

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2009, 10:42:10 AM »
The issue always start small and grows  :lol

My motherboard is manufactured by ASUSTek Computer INC. NVIDIA GeForce 6150....

Welll sheeesh. It sounds like I need a new mobo, cpu and case since the current hp tower is tiny. I wonder if I can talk the evga guys into taking the card back and downgrading it to one that better fits my system  :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help.  :salute
ATTAQUEZET CONQUEREZ
8TH FIGHTER GROUP

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2009, 11:07:50 AM »
Well, considering the excedrin moments you have already had...I'm gonna agree with 1701E and the others who recommend a mobo/cpu/case upgrade...  :headscratch:
jarhed  

Offline Jappa52

• Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2009, 11:18:34 AM »

Well I guess I can look at this whole process in a postive light and be happy with all that I have learned. Before I started looking at replacing the vc I knew my poor old puter was not going to last too much longer but I was hoping to stretch it another year at least. I dont think 4-5 years is too much to hope out of a computer but....
ATTAQUEZET CONQUEREZ
8TH FIGHTER GROUP

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2009, 11:29:39 AM »
The issue always start small and grows  :lol

My motherboard is manufactured by ASUSTek Computer INC. NVIDIA GeForce 6150....

Welll sheeesh. It sounds like I need a new mobo, cpu and case since the current hp tower is tiny. I wonder if I can talk the evga guys into taking the card back and downgrading it to one that better fits my system  :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help.  :salute

No need to return it, running a lower card at it's peak is no different then bottle-necking a better card, when the CPU is the limit, it's the limit.

The cheapest route I can think is: 30$ case, 60$ Motherboard (AM2+/AM3) and a 120$ CPU, there are cheaper but this uses the newest parts out and would keep you going for another few years, and would help greatly.  Or, if the case supports normal Micro-ATX and not "HP Micro-ATX", then you can keep that one.

4-5 years out of a computer is pushing it from what I have found, our old HP lasted 6 and it started dieing slowly after 5, HDD ended up dieing, and parts wore out, nothing lasts forever. :)
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2009, 12:07:20 PM »
I have 5 on my P-4 system...upgraded the video card...faster RAM...bigger secondary drive...new DVD player...over a 5 year spand and it's still running strong...just can't play AH with decent settings.

What's amazing is I can play almost anything except Crysis on it and it performs as good as my dual core gaming system...IL2, CoD2-4-5, Total War (Rome, Medieval 2), Civilization 3-4...does pretty much anything I want it to.

I always plan on a full replacement every 4 to 5 years...if it lasts that long. I know a lot of gamers that only run a system 2 years before replacement. If it's been 5 years for that system and it's a retail corporate build...bite the bullet and put a new system together...prices are great right now and you can build a better system than you can buy (except custom builds) dollar for dollar.
jarhed  

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2009, 12:27:39 PM »
jappa52 if you do buy a new computer post it here or just start a new post asking these fellas to help out with what everyone thinks for a new build.

as far as that new video card if you go with a diffrent one i would be willing to buy the one you have off of you
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey