Author Topic: WWI Arena and name display  (Read 568 times)

Offline capera

• Copper Member
WWI Arena and name display
« on: November 13, 2009, 12:45:22 PM »
Hey gang at Hitech Creations......

I am not sure if this idea was discussed before but ....here goes.

In the WWI arena, is there anyway to "turn-on" enemy player aliases (the name you see over the aircraft....as you would for people in your own country)?  I was thinking along the lines that you need to be 2.0 or closer to get a visual on the enemy alias you are about to encounter. 

Now, before you all behead me.....Here is my reasoning 

During WWI, when the pilots would engage each other, and they got close enough to each other, they knew who they were fighting against. Just by a visual, they knew their opponent. As expected, this added to the excitement of the impending dog fight. Put yourself in their shoes/pilot seats....Imagine for one moment your flying in WWI, in your DR1, and you get close enough to "see" that you are engaging against and a renowned 'Ace', like....Baron Manfred von Richthofen - Red Baron..... You know its him and he knows it you. Based on you knowing who your opponent is...you know you need to step it up a notch, IF you are going to be victorious. 

Here is my wish -->>>  To have enemy aliases turned on, so I can see the name of my opponent at a predetermined range (ie: 2.0). I want to know "who" I am up against, before the merge. In my humble opinion, it brings the simulation to a more accurate level.

I have flown previous WWI online arenas (Flying Circus 1998-2000 & Dawn of Aces 2000-2002) where this option was enabled, and it worked perfectly. Fingers crossed your team might consider this option.

peace,
cap   :aok

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: WWI Arena and name display
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 12:54:37 PM »
+1 I like it.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 01:17:12 PM »
Personally, I'd prefer not to know ahead of time that I'm going to die.

I'd much rather be notified when parts of my plane become missing, flaming, or bloody.

AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 02:38:47 PM »
Personally, I'd prefer not to know ahead of time that I'm going to die.

I'd much rather be notified when parts of my plane become missing, flaming, or bloody.

I agree... Thumbs down for this. This is not a bad idea though. Also, if such a thing did happen to come into effect, just imagine all the smack-talk, whining and bickering on CH200.  :noid
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 02:41:26 PM »
+1, would help me know who will HO and who won't so I do not get smacked about by Ardy or Junky when I fill their face with lead.  :D
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 03:24:30 PM »
No reason not to.  I think that it would be a great idea, but just have the plane model be the "normal" setting, and the secondary setting be the name.

As for smack talk, I've never seen it on channel 200, I barely even see people there.  Also, if you don't like it, change your channel, there isn't much that the enemy can do about.

-Penguin