Author Topic: Removing/minimsing stutters  (Read 638 times)

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
Removing/minimsing stutters
« on: November 30, 2009, 04:35:01 PM »
When I set up shots in the film viewer I often get stutters...usually right on the money shot.....is there a way to minimise this. It doesn't always happen at the same point(could be a difference of .5- 1 sec either way)... watching the film as normal no stutter is noticed

This has become a bit frustrating and would like to see if I can fix this before I totally give up. I have spent a bit of time trying all types of things but I am not getting it...soon I am going to just chuck up a movie stutters and all....Any help appreciated.

oh yes...plane relative.....how does this work all I seem to be able to get is a panning shot of the cockpit.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 04:38:44 PM by SPKmes »

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
Re: Removing/minimsing stutters
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 04:47:13 PM »
I get lots of stutters as well.  I have no solution.   :(
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 10:25:43 PM »
Can you explain the stutter more so?  Like it is a hiccup where it seems the playback pauses for a split second, or is it low FPS?  Or can you provide a sample of a shot that is stuttering so we can see the output?  The latter would be most beneficial.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline kculon

• Copper Member
      • http://fotgfilms.com
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 10:27:57 PM »
Pretty sure it's the film viewer, hopefully they will fix that in the next release.
I found it's not a stutter, but the frames playing back in the wrong order.
~kc

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 12:12:50 AM »
yes you are right in saying not a stutter....playback pauses/frames out of order is a more apt description of it. Watching the fraps framerate counter yes it does drop in frames when it happens... also I have noticed that I get the sound of the engine firing up at the beginning of the piece of film in some cases, plus other little anomalies.

Perhaps I haven't helped things by leaving the full amount of film in and taking a piece out of the middle of it... I will cut out the the sections of film I am wanting and see if there is a change there..... more than likely.

Trying to sort the raw piece of film out but it saves as a SFK file and will only play in the film shots section of the film viewer... Is it normal for it to save like this?  the only way I can show you the film is with the fraps version...which I don't think would be helpful...or would it?
I am going to try and do a couple more pieces tonight and see if I can save it differently.

I do however believe it to be as ~kc has said.. the film viewer itself...I haven't played much with this but the last time I did was with the older version and I did not notice it...a little maybe  but that was more my doing I'd say.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 12:18:30 AM by SPKmes »

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 06:25:34 PM »
yes you are right in saying not a stutter....playback pauses/frames out of order is a more apt description of it. Watching the fraps framerate counter yes it does drop in frames when it happens... also I have noticed that I get the sound of the engine firing up at the beginning of the piece of film in some cases, plus other little anomalies.

Perhaps I haven't helped things by leaving the full amount of film in and taking a piece out of the middle of it... I will cut out the the sections of film I am wanting and see if there is a change there..... more than likely.

Trying to sort the raw piece of film out but it saves as a SFK file and will only play in the film shots section of the film viewer... Is it normal for it to save like this?  the only way I can show you the film is with the fraps version...which I don't think would be helpful...or would it?
I am going to try and do a couple more pieces tonight and see if I can save it differently.

I do however believe it to be as ~kc has said.. the film viewer itself...I haven't played much with this but the last time I did was with the older version and I did not notice it...a little maybe  but that was more my doing I'd say.

#1 The engine sound starting up is a glitch in the film viewer.  That's why I recommend if you want proper game sounds in your movies that you do not record sound in Fraps and then dub over the AH sound files to your films.  It's time consuming.

#2  Cutting film section out - I'ver never really done this.  When I record films I keep recordings under 20 minutes, especially in FSO's.  If I fly 2 hours I have 5-10 films.

#3 ".SFK" files are Sound Forge audio files generated by using Sony Vegas when you're working with audio files.  It's normal for these to be produced.  In Sony Vegas you have to go to File -> Render As to export a video file of your current project.

#4 Once you get a properly exported video file, please upload the video recording problems you're experiencing.
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Have

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 03:09:38 AM »
yes you are right in saying not a stutter....playback pauses/frames out of order is a more apt description of it. Watching the fraps framerate counter yes it does drop in frames when it happens...

You could try to fix this by recording the film at 0.5x speed and then using video editing/processing software (like VirtualDub for example) to increase the playback speed back to realtime (1.0 basically). That's what I did when I did not have a processor good enough for real time Fraps capturing.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 12:59:06 PM »
Thanks for your help...or at least trying to help me with the limited info I put forth.

I think I have sorted my issue....seems to work at this point....after setting up my shot start and finish points I click default view..this then adjust my sliders back to a centered position and this looks to have sorted my problem...still a couple of minor ones but nothing too bad.......

Now all I have to remember is to make sure I check the boxes so that my mouse cursor and the frame rate don't show......made up half the shots I wanted before I realised I hadn't done this  :lol :lol..

I'm still trying to work out the plane relative shot set up though.....I'm not getting it...oh well it'll come to me.

Thanks again guys.

Offline Jappa52

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 04:43:08 PM »
I have this problem as well. Did a search a while back and saw a suggestion to Open your Windows Media  Player(minimized) before running your film viewer. Works like a charm. I still have a few stutters here and there but nothing like what was happening. I suggest you give it a shot.
ATTAQUEZET CONQUEREZ
8TH FIGHTER GROUP

Jappa52- 36th FIGHTER SQ Flying Fiends

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 07:35:44 PM »
I'm still trying to work out the plane relative shot set up though.....I'm not getting it...oh well it'll come to me.

Thanks again guys.
Have you tried using my tutorial on camera shots? 
http://derstuhl.net/ahmd/uploads/Aces%20High%20Training%20and%20Help%20Movies/ahfilm_camerashots_tut.zip

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 07:36:55 PM »
I have this problem as well. Did a search a while back and saw a suggestion to Open your Windows Media  Player(minimized) before running your film viewer. Works like a charm. I still have a few stutters here and there but nothing like what was happening. I suggest you give it a shot.
Yup, I accidentally discovered this fix a while back.  Still have to do it to this day.