Author Topic: JU87 w\37mm Cannon for Tank Busting  (Read 42420 times)

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
Re: JU87 w\37mm Cannon for Tank Busting
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2009, 08:51:29 PM »
It sure looks like they wouldn't fit though...

I disagree. It doesn't look at all like there's enough room in the gunpod for a whole magazine, especially when you see how much of the gunpod the gun seems to actually take up

:rolleyes:
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2009, 08:57:10 PM »
This picture pretty much shows it. The pod/the feed chute actually house two 6-round magazines, one after the other. Now that I think about it, I remember reading about this from somewhere. At first they only used 6 rpg and later started using 12 rpg. It sure looks like they wouldn't fit though...
He was talking about that statement Wmaker...it really doesn't look like 2 full 6 round clips could go into that mag end to end, had to be a staggered or stacked set if 2 clips of 6 were used.

Keep in mind also Motherland your pic and the first pics posted on page 1 could be G-1's which did have a single 6 round mag.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2009, 09:00:36 PM »
What does Patronenrahmen mean? The manual on the site says 'Patronenrahmen zu je 6 schuss (Huelsen fallen ins Freie)
I only got gibberish out of the translator... 'patron frame'....

Patrone loosely means ammunition..ie. a round, shell and so on...
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline 10thmd

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2009, 09:01:13 PM »
bravoa8  some of us don't fly anything but German Iron so the IL2 is not an option for tank busting.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2009, 09:01:57 PM »
I did miss the last part of your post WMaker, sorry.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2009, 09:06:49 PM »
I did miss the last part of your post WMaker, sorry.

I'm sorry...I'm a bit grumpy...5 am and I have this damn over 65 year old aircraft cannon keeping me awake...

Uploaded the manual pic:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 09:08:47 PM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2009, 09:10:42 PM »
What does Patronenrahmen mean?  Patronenrahmen zu je 6 schuss

If I'm not mistaken, it means:  Cartridge.    

Patronenrahmen zu je 6 schuss: "Cartridge framework to 6 shot"?  

Lusche or another Fluent German would know 100%.   My German is slipping and I need to refresh it after 19 years.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2009, 09:17:40 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, it means:  Cartridge.    

Yep, that's correct, a word taken to Finnish language and its meaning kinda put me off track...
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2009, 09:49:41 PM »
Just read that manual about 37mm loadout for 110G-2. In there it said 66 patronen in 11 patronenrahmen (which the radio operator/reargunner could load), so I guess in this context atleast patronenrahmen means the magazine itself. So, it looks like as the rounds get expended and empty casings exit from the upper aperture, the empty magazine (patronenrahme) travels to the space reserved to it in the left side of the gun. Those spaces holding the empty and full magazines probably just were longer in the G-2 compared to the G-1 I guess.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 10:09:30 PM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2009, 10:14:57 PM »
For me, this 1st photo posted bye Lusche says it all

the size of the clip in his hand clearly dose not reach to the gun housing when fully inserted, a few inches short,  equal to the 1st small vertical line you can see on the cartridge. If I draw line from there to the center line of the gun I get 6 more shells. Not to mention the word Clip's in the photo caption.

and this one sum's it up for me at least  :)

as he pushes the second clip into the cartradge to fully load the gun.  :aok

« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 10:26:11 PM by Megalodon »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline stephen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2009, 12:35:43 AM »
Bring the Ju-87 37mm tank buster to the game!
Spell checker is for Morrons

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2009, 01:23:40 AM »
<sigh>

No, they couldn't repack 60-round drum to contain 90 rounds. There were different sized drums that could hold different amounts of ammo...

From my understanding of it, the drum changed shape slightly (straight walls, not angled) but the diameter was the same. It had to fit into the same compartments. Perhaps poor description on my part.

EDIT: not that I want to hijack the thread or anything, seems the issue has been answered!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:29:47 AM by Krusty »

Offline Madguns

• Zinc Member
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2009, 09:01:33 AM »
Sooo anyone from HTC care to chime in here?  Will this ever be considered?
I like to Rocket Vulch!

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2009, 09:02:53 AM »

the size of the clip in his hand clearly dose not reach to the gun housing when fully inserted, a few inches short,  equal to the 1st small vertical line you can see on the cartridge. If I draw line from there to the center line of the gun I get 6 more shells. Not to mention the word Clip's in the photo caption.
The caption also says magazines of which there is clearly only 1. Your misinterpretation of the caption is obvious...2 gun(s), 2 magazine(s), 2 clip(s) of ammunition per plane...at least for whatever model of Stuka that is in the pic.

Your perspective is a bit off but not by far...if you look at the length of the mag in comparison to the shells in the clip the guy is holding you can see that when all 6 rounds are inserted, if one round is chambered in the gun, there is room for one more round...so a max of 7 per gun (6 in the mag and 1 in the pipe)...at least for a Ju-87G-1 by all accounts.

If the 7 round clip of AP being loaded in this photo is any indication...then as stated above would be true for a G-1 at least...6 in the mag 1 in the pipe.

as he pushes the second clip into the cartradge to fully load the gun.  :aok
Again, perspective...the breach of the weapon is the width of 1 round inside the gondola housing not 6 or 7...using the top photo, measure the length of the ammo clip and then measure the length of the extruded portion of the magazine...then look very closely at the front of that gondola housing where the barrel of the weapon sticks out...if you look at the diagram of the weapon without the gondola housing you will see where the breach housing is very large compared to the barrel...and in all of the photos none of the gondola housings are wide enough to hold a 6 round clip of ammo internally.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2009, 11:48:23 AM »
It looks like the clip is not a disintegrating link kind of rig, but something rigid. Unless you want that sticking out into the slip stream to interfere with the action of the cannon, it has to go somewhere and it looks like it goes into the thiner(in cord) fairing on the other side of the gun. with the casings being ejected above the fairing.
Has anyone looked at Flying Guns of WW2 to see what Tony says on this thing?
We know that it has no internal cassette magazine arrangement, it fires from those clips, it doesn't seem that any picture that we have seen here would show room for two 6 round clips per gun in a vertical stack arrangement. Certainly there is no picture that shows enough room for two clips end to end.