Author Topic: Interesting B-17 skin opportunity  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: Interesting B-17 skin opportunity
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 08:34:09 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

If captured skins are not allowed, then why do we have a C-47 in Japanese skin?  Or were they licensed before the war. Just wondering.
Produced under license.

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 08:56:12 PM »
If captured skins are not allowed, then why do we have a C-47 in Japanese skin?  Or were they licensed before the war. Just wondering.
becuase
The Finns bought or were given the Hurricanes during the Winter War, but they didn't get there in time to fight.  The Winter War happened before Finland found itself at war with the UK.
The Japanese C-47 was not captured.  Before the war Nakakjima purchased a license to build DC-3s and those were used as a transport aircraft the the Japanese navy with the code "L2D", the "D" in that case being the IJN's letter code for the manufactuer "Douglas".
Read the whole thread
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 11:38:40 PM »

PS, what's the story behind the French Ju88s?

From: Axis History Forum-Topic: The (Free) French Air Force in 1940-1945 (Listing attempt)

The FFI "Groupement Patrie" is created to provide air support to the French partisans who will liberate the South-Western part of France and reduce the German pockets in the Atlantic harbors. The creation was already planned and started in July 1944. The "Groupement Patrie" includes: Groupe Dor (GB I/31), Groupe Doret (GC II/18), GCB I/18, GB I/34 and GR III/33. The first operational mission is flown on August 29, 1944. The "Groupement Patrie" is part of the "Forces Aériennes de l'Atlantique" (Atlantic Air Forces), which includes also 2 Fleet Air Arm squadrons operating with the FFI ground troops.

* The Groupe DOR flew reconnaissance and bombing mission against the German pockets along the Atlantic coast. At first the number of operational Ju-88A is rather low. The French have to found spare parts, engines, oil etc. But the German have left a huge stockpile of equipment behind. There will be a maximum 22 Ju-88As. Nonetheless the French produced the Ju-88 under the name AAB.1. A second squadron was formed with Douglas DB7 and Glenn Martin 167-F planes. This squadron was then sent to North Africa to be transformed on B-26 Marauder but the unit was not ready before the end of WW2.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline beau32

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 06:45:20 AM »
Produced under license.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up for me.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

"There is always a small microcosm of people who need to explain away their suckage."

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 10:49:53 PM »
Heh been a while since I stopped in. Thanks to Wrongway for the story behind the French 88s. That's pretty cool.
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 08:39:24 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I wonder...
Nvm didn't know there was a second page LOL.