Author Topic: Building a new system  (Read 562 times)

Offline reeb

• Copper Member
Building a new system
« on: December 20, 2009, 10:14:53 AM »
ok, so i'm building myself a new computer due to my alienware being outdated(yes i'm still using an AGP system!) i thought i had my new build all picked out, but, i have ended up having to change it a few times and am thinking of changing it again.
ok this is what i have sofar:

Apevia-x jupiter G full tower case (had this about a year and a half)
Ultra X3 1000w PSU (had this an year and a half also, only got it cuz at the time it was the only modular psu and was gonna get 790i and e8500)
Velociratpor 300gig HD
LG super-multi blue blueray drive

ok the rest of the build is gonna be:

EVGA 758 a1 X58 sli mobo (i am aware of the issues the x58 has with the X3 psu so if it has issues i'll just buy the corsair 1000w psu)
intel i7 920 proc
6 gigs of corsair dominator ram (will be upped to 12 gigs once build is complete)
V8 cpu cooler
i'm also adding a mascool HD cooler that goes into a 5 1/4 slot and a mem cooler
windows 7 pro 64bit

now here is where i have hit a snag, i was planning on getting the evga 275gtx 1792meg vidcard. But after reading around a bit i've been thinking about getting a radeon vidcard, now i have never used radeon i've always used nvidia cards and don't know much about radeon.
i was looking at getting either the 5870 or 5850 hd cards or would i be better off staying with the nvidia 200gtx series?
If i do go with a radeon card which manufacturer should i go with? EVGA has excellent customer service so if i do radeon i want a company that stands by their product.I have heard radeon is the way to go with a gaming computer and i do not wanna have to do any upgrading for awhile.
Eventully i will be doing SLi or crossfire, might even add a physx card, Oh and would it be better to go with a 5770 or 5750? the 5870 is pretty spendy and about 200$ more then what i planned on spending.
any and all advice is welcome, thankyou all

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
Re: Building a new system
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 10:29:47 AM »
Well, if you are considering going SLI or Crossfire with that mobo, you would HAVE to go with nvidia because crossfire wouldn't work. I wish eVGA made AMD/ATI boards, they have good boards but just not for the stuff I want  :furious
I would recommend going with ATI on graphics though, they give DX11 support and have other newer features making them more future-proof. The GTX series is still good, but you can get more for you money with the ATI 5000 series.

Also, don't even bother with a hard drive cooler, they never get that hot to begin with, if it is in a safe area where air can get around it it will be fine.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 10:31:27 AM by Ruler2 »

Offline reeb

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 10:44:09 AM »
actully the EVGA x58 758 a1 is SLi & Crossfire ready, i think all of evga's new boards are now crossfire ready. And i'm adding the HD cooler because it will move my HD to a 5 1/4 bay, on my tower i have i don't like where the HD cage is located. So what i want to do is move my HD(where the cooler gives an easy option) then im gonna remove the HD cage or parts of it to allow better intake flow from the front 120mm fan.
I will most likely be adding another HD down the road, prolly 1.5 - 2 TB HD which will go into same set up as my velocirator. I want to keep the 10,000rpm HD clean of all unneeded things :rock
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 10:52:05 AM by reeb »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 10:45:29 AM »
Well, if you are considering going SLI or Crossfire with that mobo, you would HAVE to go with nvidia because crossfire wouldn't work. I wish eVGA made AMD/ATI boards, they have good boards but just not for the stuff I want  :furious
I would recommend going with ATI on graphics though, they give DX11 support and have other newer features making them more future-proof. The GTX series is still good, but you can get more for you money with the ATI 5000 series.

Also, don't even bother with a hard drive cooler, they never get that hot to begin with, if it is in a safe area where air can get around it it will be fine.

Do bother with the hard drive cooler especially if youre getting more than 1 hdd. They get hot and die prematurely without constant airflow.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline reeb

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 10:54:16 AM »
yeah the velociraptor is not a cheap HD lol wanna make it last as long as i can :pray

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 10:57:32 AM »
reeb, I just double checked on the site, it does not say anywhere that there is Crossfire support, just SLI.

Offline reeb

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 10:59:42 AM »
EVGA X58 SLI Motherboard - LGA 1366, Intel X58, SATA, SLI Ready, CrossFireX Ready, Triple Channel DDR3 support, RAID, Hyperthreading support

thats a copy paste from tigerD

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 11:27:43 AM »
The manufacturer's site only displays SLI, though. Always check the EVGA site.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline reeb

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 11:43:55 AM »
i was looking on the evga forums and have seen people using radeon cards with the x58, just check threw some others builds, it is weird that they don't say on their site or maybe they do i'm just to blind to see it.

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 12:15:54 PM »
EVGA boards will take a crossfire (ATI x2) but since EVGA is sleeping with nVidia THEY DO NOT ADVERTISE THE FACT.  Looks like your building a good power house platform but have a few lesser components being used.  First off the V8 CPU cooler looks cool but is not the best choice.  The 275 is a good card but is on the low end of the spectrum.  Your seem to be going to higher end in some area's where others the lower end.  A good mix or all mid or mid high is better then high and low mix.

The dominator mem is ok at 6gb but when you up to 12gb you will have issues.  If your seeking 12gb then get a 12gb kit.  Memory must be done in matched sets or you will not run at the rated specs from the maker.  What are you going to be running that you need 12gb?  Only way to get away from the rated specs problem is to A) get a 12gb kit which is not made at faster mhz speeds ie 1600, 1800, 1866, 2000, 2133 etc usually only comes up to 1066 or B) forgo the 12gb thought and get the fastest memory you can afford leaving room for a better video card then the 275.

You state you may add a physics card in the future... the higher end nVidia (EVGA) have this built into the card already so you will not have a need for a separate card  There are only a handfull of games that currently support DirectX 11.

Your stating your want to use the X58 SLI an i7 920 (hugely overclockable) 6gb Dominator (expand to 12) a VelociRaptor and a 275 and V8.   A nVidia 285 or higher , 1600mhz or faster memory memory left at 6gb and a Megahalem CPU cooler over the V8

TD

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 12:42:29 PM »
EVGA boards will take a crossfire (ATI x2) but since EVGA is sleeping with nVidia THEY DO NOT ADVERTISE THE FACT. 

That would explain a lot.... 

Offline reeb

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 02:23:13 PM »
the reason i was going for the gtx275 due to cost, the gtx295 is getting completely outta my price range. this is why i was thinking about using one of the radeon cards, clock speeds among other things are way higher then the gtx200's. I wanna finish this computer and if i increase the cost much more it will be another 2-3 months before i even get to order the remaining parts. As for memory i was looking at the 6 gig dominator kit that had 7-7-7-20 advetised speeds(and ive read about having to manully  up the ram to 1600), what would be a better memory to go with? i would eventully want 12 gigs of ram because im tired of lag, studders, and i want the ability to run things on max with room to spare. but im starting with 6gig due to cost, i have thought about getting muskin or ocz memory but the dominator had better timings. The Cpu cooler ill change to the megahalem and im not looking at radeon cards because of dx11 its mostly do to cost and specs.
Would i be better off going with the radeon card or stick to nvidia? to get a gtx295 it would take me much longer to finish building this comp,oh and the physX is way in the future and only if more games are put out that use physX.

This is what im running atm:
asus sk8v mobo
2.2gig amd athlon fx-51
1 gig of corsair duel channel pc3200 ecc
evga 7600gt superclocked 512meg vid
creativelabs fatality x-fi extreme gamer sound

now you can see why i really want to finish building this new computer, as outdated as my alienware is, it still runs CoD4MW, CoDWaW, WoW, borderlands, bioshock, champions online ect ect. not bad for an old agp system.....but its time for it to go!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 02:25:36 PM by reeb »

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 02:37:34 PM »
You can get the HD5870 for about $370-400, the HD5850 for about $300-320. The HD5850 was voted best GPU for the money by newegg, it has clock speeds similar or maybe even surpassing those of the GTX285, all for about $100 less. So, not only would you get the Dx11 with the ATI, you would also get a equal or better card for about $100 less than Nvidia's equivalent.   6GB of RAM I think would give you more than enough for your PC to use, after all, a lot of the stuttering is probably caused by CPU lag, so the new RAM will help, but that i7 is gonna treat ya nicely too.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 08:37:32 PM »
crap 12GB ! The only way I can fill my 4Gb is to run multiple VM's...
now posting as SirNuke