Author Topic: Quesion on AC painting.  (Read 796 times)

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
Re: Quesion on AC painting.
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 11:30:04 AM »
In USAAF units, camouflage paint schemes were controlled by the theater commander. When there was a credible threat of enemy attack, they kept paint on the aircraft so while they were on the ground, the would blend into the terrain.  So, you'll note that through 1942-1944 in ETO/MTO, most USAAF aircraft maintained camo paint schemes. IN the Pacific, it lasted even longer, depending on theater.  Once the Allies had established air supremacy in their respective theaters, they began to leave the aircraft unpainted, but it wasn't for performance reasons, otherwise they would have polished the aluminum.  For the Navy/Marine Corps, corrosion control was the primary reason the aircraft were painted.  Even today, corrosion prevention is a huge part of the aircraft maintenance effort, as aircraft that are exposed to the flight deck of a carrier or amphibious assault ship are constantly exposed to salt water.  
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 04:32:04 PM »
"Most likely the corrosion issue and the innate conservatism of the Navy."

And the US Navy's not the only one. There's a simple rule in the Royal Navy as to what needs painting: 'If it's shiny and it moves, salute it; if it doesn't move, paint it.'

;)
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 05:50:26 PM »
I really don't know who the pilot was.  I remember hearing it on on Oliver North show.

I've read quite a few books on VMF-214 in fact I'm reading one right now. "The Black Sheep" The Definitive Account of Marine Fighting Squadron 214 in World War II.
By Bruce Gamble who also wrote Black Sheep One. This book covers the squadron from it's inception and first tour in F4F Wildcats and after the Pappy Boyington era when they did a cruise on the USS Franklin. The most colorful pilot other than Major Boyington seems to be Cris Magee. I'm nearly finished with the book and there's no mention of a bare medal Corsair in it or any other book I've read about VMF-214. I'm not saying there wasn't but as celebrated as the Black Sheep are surely a bare metal Corsair would have shown up in a picture, painting, or even as a model if one existed.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 05:57:51 PM »
I've read quite a few books on VMF-214 in fact I'm reading one right now. "The Black Sheep" The Definitive Account of Marine Fighting Squadron 214 in World War II.
By Bruce Gamble who also wrote Black Sheep One. This book covers the squadron from it's inception and first tour in F4F Wildcats and after the Pappy Boyington era when they did a cruise on the USS Franklin. The most colorful pilot other than Major Boyington seems to be Cris Magee. I'm nearly finished with the book and there's no mention of a bare medal Corsair in it or any other book I've read about VMF-214. I'm not saying there wasn't but as celebrated as the Black Sheep are surely a bare metal Corsair would have shown up in a picture, painting, or even as a model if one existed.

I don't know.  I remember listen to "War Stories with Oliver North".  Unless i misunderstood it, i thought they said something about it.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 06:45:48 PM »
Well.  Not saying North is wrong buuuuuuut his name has never struck me as any type
of authoritie on WWII aviation.  Maybe when it comes to back room deals, eliminating
parchment and playing cold-faced poker I would! ;)

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 07:39:30 PM »
Another thing to consider. The aircraft would have shipped painted to the front. It takes a long time to strip down to bare metal.
Especially if your're a ground crew in a combat zone as were the guys in the Solomons. The 8th AF ground crew in the UK may have had time for these types of things. However in a hot zone like the Solomons your priority is going to be making the aircraft servicable to fly and fight again. Not stripping paint off an entire aircraft for the vanity of a pilot.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV