Author Topic: P-38J "Uncle Cy's Angel"  (Read 16145 times)

Offline Seadog36

• Nickel Member
Re: P-38J "Uncle Cy's Angel"
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2011, 03:47:12 PM »
Beautiful skin! Congratulations! I hope you can get it in the game within a reasonable time frame...skin rotation seems to move at a glacial speed :salute

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2011, 04:08:51 PM »
It is a lot more shiny. That's how I would have done it back in 2009 when I first made it, but I wasn't capable of doing so at the time. Part of the reason it was more dirty before was to break up the uniform look of the whole plane. Now I think I can get away from the uniform look without piling on heaps of dirt and grime. And there's still dirt and all that jazz, just to a lesser extent.

Perhaps the screenshots don't show it well but ingame it looks lightyears better and more detailed.
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline cohofly

• Copper Member
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2011, 05:14:22 PM »
Its a very nice skin, but I fly with the 20th FG "locobusters" and we use the 20th skin all the time please dont replace it .
Thanks
<S>
Carver
Carver CO -55thFg/38thFS-
"Heinie Honking and LocoBusting"

Offline Seadog36

• Nickel Member
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2011, 08:24:06 PM »
It is a lot more shiny. That's how I would have done it back in 2009 when I first made it, but I wasn't capable of doing so at the time. Part of the reason it was more dirty before was to break up the uniform look of the whole plane. Now I think I can get away from the uniform look without piling on heaps of dirt and grime. And there's still dirt and all that jazz, just to a lesser extent.

Perhaps the screenshots don't show it well but ingame it looks lightyears better and more detailed.

Cactus,

I have some skin requests for you, as a emerging silver skin talent:

or

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2011, 10:18:49 PM »
I would really like to see a razorback from the 348th FG too. I have one in mind I wouldn't mind doing, but with the D-11 skins full I don't think I'll be doing one soon.
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2011, 05:31:49 AM »
photorealism or at least a stylized band of brothers/saving private ryan type of thematic photorealism is preferable to me.

weathering and metal fatigue/deformation for its own sake sometimes detracts from this and makes the skin look like its made of concrete or stone or anything but very thin tightly fastened metal.

in fact in some instances its preferable to have minimal weathering on a bare metal subject when you condense a skin down to 256 colors using bright (a tiny program everyone here should be using to make their skins 256 colors by now)

if you want to see the results of baremetal finish with and without weathering look at my bbd p51 (weathered) and my American beauty p51 (minimal weathering)

the colors in the american beauty metal finish are more vibrant because less of the 256 colors were siphoned off into grime while the BBD is still convincing but seems more oxidized and not as reflective even though material files for both are the same. also note that weathering will mute bare metal effects by the simple nature of it being another layer on top of the bare metal effect.

but back to the current subject...
the p38 in this thread looks more photorealistic in the latest version due to more refined and subdued weathering and improved bare metal baked in reflective effects.

Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2011, 09:00:11 AM »
Seadog: I don't know about the first, it may have been made, but for the second there definitely is a skin for that. I just don't think it's in rotation yet. It was a different plane with similar markings and a larger kill board on the side.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2011, 11:29:35 AM »
Seadog: I don't know about the first, it may have been made, but for the second there definitely is a skin for that. I just don't think it's in rotation yet. It was a different plane with similar markings and a larger kill board on the side.

That second one or one close to it is in game, when i do fly the 47-D11 thats the skin i use.

Offline Seadog36

• Nickel Member
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2011, 12:30:42 PM »
I would really like to see a razorback from the 348th FG too. I have one in mind I wouldn't mind doing, but with the D-11 skins full I don't think I'll be doing one soon.

The latter is a later 348th William Dunham skin, but I wholeheartedly agree, we do need an OD white tail version. I've been whining like a puppy for one, and even made a skin. It is so amateur looking that I will leave it to the pros.

Rogerdee's version of the PTO skin is excellent whiteman, and the only recent skin in over a year.
I understand there used to be a Checkertail D11 too but it was rotated out. I feel a 56th skin should be retired for something fresh.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2011, 06:08:54 PM »
I realize now that it may not even be in the game when my 8 week old son starts flying Aces High.

He looks like a SpitXVI type of guy so I don't think it matters that much Del.  :P
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2011, 06:50:48 PM »
He looks like a SpitXVI type of guy so I don't think it matters that much Del.  :P

He's the cutest little guy - I love that little smile he's workin' on.   

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2011, 10:30:49 PM »
Still no love for "Uncle Cy's Angel".
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline SoonerMP

• Nickel Member
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2011, 11:21:09 PM »

:furious           Guess not....                 :furious

S.A.P.P. Secret Association of P-38 Pilots

Blame Karaya 2008-2012       Death From Above - MA (inactive)

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2011, 11:40:34 PM »
I was hoping to get it...but no. I was also wanted his g6 skin
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2011, 12:08:08 AM »
I was also wanted his g6 skin

If you mean the G-14 skin, it is ingame.
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart