Author Topic: MS Office 2007 Home for $80  (Read 2119 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: MS Office 2007 Home for $80
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 04:33:53 PM »
Java in MHO is the worst/best thing ever developed.  Since most attacks on computer systems are Java based because of people leaving java enabled in their browser and installing java software/games making java load upon system startup.  This is how Phishing code is based more so then active-x or html.  I will not enable java on any of my own systems nor will I install any java based software no matter the cost or lack there of.

TD

That's why I run noscript.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 04:36:33 PM »
Didn't that recent lawsuit prevent Microsoft from selling office products?

Sure did, they were supposed to have everything off the shelves in 60 days... although it isn't.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 05:11:24 PM »
Thanks guys for all your perspectives. I had an interview at a town 140 miles from my home. If I get the job I still need to continue my studies towards my CPA license. All of my notes, and it is significant, are in excel format. So If I get the position I am considering a new laptop to use for studying.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 05:39:44 PM »
Thanks guys for all your perspectives. I had an interview at a town 140 miles from my home. If I get the job I still need to continue my studies towards my CPA license. All of my notes, and it is significant, are in excel format. So If I get the position I am considering a new laptop to use for studying.

Heya Getback,
as some others have noted..... MSOffice2007 is in my opinion bloated down more, uses more processing power of your PC, etc....and sometimes OpenOffice does not open/present some MSoffice file types correctly from my experience.

although I have Office2007Pro.. I most times will revert back to using my Ms officepro 2003.......

also their are converters (and some are FREEWARE ) to convert office07 files to older office versions if you happen to run into that problem

I also concur with TD / Mr Ripley regarding  Javascript stuff.....

hope this helps
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 06:24:23 PM »
Heya Getback,
as some others have noted..... MSOffice2007 is in my opinion bloated down more, uses more processing power of your PC, etc....and sometimes OpenOffice does not open/present some MSoffice file types correctly from my experience.

although I have Office2007Pro.. I most times will revert back to using my Ms officepro 2003.......

also their are converters (and some are FREEWARE ) to convert office07 files to older office versions if you happen to run into that problem

I also concur with TD / Mr Ripley regarding  Javascript stuff.....

hope this helps

I have Office 2003 and 2002 and maybe one more somewhere. The problem is I think I've installed them as much as I can legally.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 07:18:24 PM »
 Should be able to have it on one machine legally . Shouldn't matter how many times you have installed it.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 07:50:31 PM »
<--- Criminal.

I've got my old copy of Office 2000 installed on three machines and have reinstalled it countless times.  MS still lets me update all three copies even though I only have one license.  Maybe they changed it with later versions?  Anyway, it's still fully compatible with all the later versions.

I guess if I needed a new office program today I'd try Open Office.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 07:52:12 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2009, 08:28:53 PM »
I use office 2007 over open office for the reason being since i was laid off and now goto school i use office 2007 so much i have become used to the GUI interface. Also bought a acaDEMIC VERSION WHICH SAVED ALOT OF MONEY( ya ya i hit the caps button) I used to use open office but have now deleted it. Actually I have been using it so much I am getting to like it. This is just IMO.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 08:49:12 PM »
Only thing I don't like about open office is the fact is is Java based.  I am not a fan of running java on any system if I don't have to.

TD

Without getting into a religious conflict, how is Java any less safe than ActiveX stuff?  Can't anti-virus and other security software protect a computer that runs Java just as well (or poorly) as a computer that runs ActiveX?

- bino, confuzzled bino

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 04:05:32 AM »
Without getting into a religious conflict, how is Java any less safe than ActiveX stuff?  Can't anti-virus and other security software protect a computer that runs Java just as well (or poorly) as a computer that runs ActiveX?

- bino, confuzzled bino

ActiveX is the worst possible solution. That's why IE should never be used for browsing the net.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2009, 06:58:38 AM »
ActiveX is the worst possible solution. That's why IE should never be used for browsing the net.

You have been able to disable ActiveX in IE since version 5, possibly earlier.

When I discovered OpenOffice was written in Java I abandoned it as well.  I have several reasons not to support Java.  The leading one is writting code and having it made obsolete by a Java update because they cannot be bothered to maintain any backward compatibility.  I have C code, I wrote in 1980, which still compiles and runs today.

I still use Office 97.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com