Author Topic: 9th FS 49th Fighter Group Lt.Haislip Paint Scheme  (Read 13433 times)

Offline A8cole

• Zinc Member
9th FS 49th Fighter Group Lt.Haislip Paint Scheme
« on: November 27, 2009, 04:21:11 PM »
Don't get on the boards much in the 8 years that I have been playing this game but stumbled upon Oboe's Itsy Bitsy II skin and saw some other stuff he has done. My Grandfather was in the 9Th Fighter Squadron, 49Th Fighter Group (Lt. James Haislip). I have been looking a lot for paint schemes for his 38 and the closest I have gotten is the 49Th Fighter Group: Aces of the Pacific, written by William N. Ness, along with Flying Knights webpage (http://www.flyingknights.net/) . The Itsy Bitsy II is actually shown right below his planes paint scheme in the book listed above. It has his P-40 and p-38 paint schemes, but the 38 paint scheme is covered up somewhat in the drawing from the book. Wondering if anyone can help me with reference material for the paint scheme or any special websites that I have not found yet referencing either the 49Th Fighter Group or the 9Th Fighter Squadron?

Salute,
A8Cole

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: 9th FS 49th Fighter Group Lt.Haislip Paint Scheme
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 08:27:20 PM »
I have the 49th FG history at home.  I'll check when I get off work tonite.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 12:01:26 AM »
Grandpa have a photo album? :)

No photos of his 38 in the 49th history "Protect & Avenge" by S.W. Ferguson and William Pascalis but 4 images with grandpa in them including one next to his Jug.  I left the captions on when I scanned them for obvious reasons.  He was in some select company.  I hope he recorded his memories somewhere!

Turns out grandpa was a picker and a ganger too!  His kill on July 28, 1944 was a Val, one of two that 7 38s dove on. He got credit for the kill.  The other got away into the clouds :)

I bet someone could do his Jug

That's some crowd he's a part of this photo.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 09:29:12 AM »
More on "Grandpa"

James C. Haislip Jr. enlisted in the United States Marine Corps on July 11, 1942. He was a Staff Sergeant and flew as a Gunner in a Grumman TBF Avenger torpedo bomber during the Solomon Islands and the Bismarck Archipelago battles.

Photograph of VMTB-143 Devil Dog Avengers. James Haislip is sitting on the wing all the way to the right in the photo.
Printed text on the back: "Marine Aircraft Group-11 - 1st Marine Aircraft Wing - Fleet Marine Force"

this citation still around?
http://www.shortsnorter.org/files/James_Haislip_Commendation_Admiral_Nimitz.pdf

Staff Sergeant James C. Haislip Jr. received a Letter of Commendation from  Commander-In-Chief of the Pacific Fleet, Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, in 1944. His citation read:"For meritorious and efficient performance of duty as an aerial gunner attached to a Marine torpedo bombing squadron operating in the Solomon Islands and Bismarck Archipelago areas from July 20, 1943 to March 2, 1944. During three tours of duty Staff Sergeant Haislip participated in 31 bombing and strafing attacks against Japanese installations, frequently being subjected to intense anti-aircraft fire and heavy fighter plane opposition. His courage and accurate marksmanship contributed materially to the defense of the plane on all missions and were in keeping with the highest traditions of the Naval Service.

His P-38 was #73 and named "Jo"

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 10:12:55 AM by Megalodon »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 11:19:49 AM »
Must be two Jimmie Haislips then?   He could not have been both a Marine gunner on a TBM and an AAF P-38 pilot.   

Offline A8cole

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 03:02:27 PM »
Thank you all for posting that information. Long story short when he died my father was only able to get a fraction of his personal belongings. We have all of his medals, flight logs, recon photos and some other photos. I had originally emailed Oboe and he said I should post the question here and probably get more of a response. Yeah it looks like there were two James C. Haislip, but that is weird, the pictures that Gruppy35 posted, I have seen all of those at my parents house. So that is definitely him, the Marine photos I have never seen so not sure on that? Salute to all of you for looking into that for me. I will continue to look and try and find more information on his P-38 paint scheme. :salute

Salute,
Cole

Offline A8cole

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 06:53:12 AM »
Just a little update on this, I have not been searching that much but i did come across this website today. I have no idea how or why they are making a sticker kit for the plane, but i am going to try and order it so i can see exactly what the image is. Pretty interesting and figured i would share it with you all.

Salute,
Cole.

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SS481187

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 06:46:10 AM »
That is very interesting, A8cole.   Thanks for posting the info.   I see this markings kit offers 3 P-38 schemes - the 'G' ("Beautiful Lass") is already in AH2.

I do question whether the red/white flag-striped rudders are correct for the 475th FG bird.   Based on Osprey's profile of Gerald Johnson's P-38L, it was the 49th FG that used the red/white striped rudders, not the 475th.  I have never seen a 475th bird image with striped rudders.   I wonder if they mixed up the two schemes?

« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 06:53:59 AM by oboe »

Offline A8cole

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 07:59:29 AM »
Well I found something else that shows the paint scheme. I have never been to this site before, but looks like someone has already created a paint scheme...

http://downloads.flightsimfiles.com/package/899
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 10:03:54 AM by A8cole »

Offline 49Jester

• Copper Member
      • Home of the Fightin' 49ers
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 09:39:43 PM »
Outstanding stuff thanks
49th Fighter Group Commanding Officer

http://49thfightergroup.weebly.com/

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 03:45:13 PM »
*73 LilJo nose art
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 09:04:01 AM »
Thanks Megalodon and A8Cole for the links to the noseart and previously done skin.   Here is what Haislip's skin looks like in AH on my 49th FG base skin:

*Disclaimer: These screenshots have been adjusted for contrast and color saturation levels.

There still are a couple P-38L slots open for new skins, but I feel like I have too many '38 skins in game already.  I still hope a skinning master will take on a '38, but's always cool to provide a skin for someone's relative.  I would go back add try to adjust weathering/dirt/grime/scratches to try to give this skin it's own look if you'd like to see it submitted.   

I really liked the color balance and detail on the Lil Jo skin done by Rogue Snake.  What game is that from?

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 04:37:26 PM »
Oboe has asked if I'd like to do this skin. I plan to "Make it so".
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 06:20:08 PM »
Good luck cactus! Keep us posted.  :)
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 07:04:27 PM »
Cactus will do a first-rate job.   Looking forward to seeing his work!