Author Topic: Anyone been having a lot of screen freezes/host connection lost?  (Read 645 times)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Anyone been having a lot of screen freezes/host connection lost?
« on: November 25, 2009, 04:15:48 PM »
I've been getting a lot of Host Connections lost lately. I have had no problems with this at all until a few days ago. The only thing I'm getting more than disco's is screen freezes. Not much, just little 1-2 seconds freezes and sometimes long 30 seconds freezes (that sometimes end in a host conection lost). has anyone else been getting these issues a lot? If it's just me then what can I do to fix it?

Should I uninstall and reinstall the game? I've heard before that if you've had the game for a long time then you could get some issues down the line, and a simple uninstall would fix it.

Maybe it's my video card? I believe I have a nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS. I have had lots of trouble with this card in the past so that could be the issue, but AHII is the only problem. I could have a different, better video card though. My memory isn't the best but they might have sent us a better one after us requesting a new one every 4 weeks because the one we have broke (think they were tired of the emails and calls  ;) ). I've been watching the menu in game (ctrl + i) for the past 2 days and I've been getting around 25-70 FR's and only using 117M of 512M of memory.

Could there possibly be a bug in AHII on my computer? I could run a virus scan on it to get rid of it. I'll check that now while the all mighty Skuzzy reads this and instantly solves my problem.  :D :old:

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Re: Anyone been having a lot of screen freezes/host connection lost?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 07:50:05 PM »
First off I think Skuzzy is on vacation.

Second what changed on your computer in the last week software wise?

Third anytime you are having connection issues the first step is to get pingplotter or visual route and run some tests.
See where the connection is going bad, where the packets are lost. 
Maybe your isp has recently changed its routing, or has a major hop down for repairs.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 09:27:57 PM »
Hope Skuzzy's having a good time, he deserves a good time off  :old: :salute

The only thing that has changed on my computer in the last week was my dad added another anti-virus program called "Malwarebytes" (still not sure why. We already have AVG and Spybot and they work great)

I was also checking some stuff out in game on AHII. My graphic card runs the hi-res stuff really well, I get 50+ FR's. I was looking at some stuff in advanced graphic settings and wanted to see what some of the other options did (usually I just have the first 3 boxes checked and it still runs great). I put on vehicle shadows (left the 4th box unchecked for detailed ground terrain) and I was surprised to find it looks really nice and still runs fairly well. Even running on hi-res some detailed terrain turned on, and vehicle shadow I still run about 30+ FR's. I've had these options turned on for just 2 days now and get 30+ FR's all the time except for the screen freeze moments. I just don't see why it would freeze up at 30 FRs and nothing new or different happens before, during, or after the freeze.

You think maybe the newer options I've turned on might be giving my computer just enough trouble to be able to run it, but just barely? If so, I can always just turn them off, or even better get a newer video card for the ultimate experience!  :D (If I do, what video card would you recommend if you know of a good one for AHII?)

Will run check my internet next time I run AHII. I know AHII lets you check your internet status in-game. Should I open that and post screen shots of it here?

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 11:37:40 PM »
First off I think Skuzzy is on vacation.
You think so? :lol

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 04:58:15 AM »
Firstly check Malwarebytes &  AVG don't have auto updates enabled.  That's screw your connection quicker than the tax man screws your pay check.

Now check for spyware & viruses.

Now do a defrag even if it says you don't need it.

Now do a "Fix all errors" (local disk / properties / tools... error check & restart)

That's your system as clean & nifty as your gonna get unless you have more than basic knowledge.

Unplug your internet connection for 5 min then reboot everything.

If your running a file sharing programs like limewire / kazza expect a life long problem while their on your PC. 

I know all this is time consuming but if you can do it all in one shot the better the outcome. 

Good Luck.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 06:42:13 PM »
If your running a file sharing programs like limewire / kazza expect a life long problem while their on your PC. 

I know all this is time consuming but if you can do it all in one shot the better the outcome. 

Good Luck.

I used to use Limewire a long time ago, but I haven't used it in years. I still have it on my computer though. I really haven't thought of removing from my computer. Could it cause problems without me using it?? I know it's a pain when you get problems of viruses from Limewire.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 07:46:30 PM »
I used to use Limewire a long time ago, but I haven't used it in years. I still have it on my computer though. I really haven't thought of removing from my computer. Could it cause problems without me using it?? I know it's a pain when you get problems of viruses from Limewire.

MOST DEFINITELY.........try to uninstall/remove it and all its associated files if you can......

also, along with a pingplotter report, as Ghosth has mentioned above........ sending us a DXDIAG report would be helpful also ( I bet Skuzzy moves this to the Technical Help Forum....just a hunch )

another suggestion LYNX hit on along with doing an internet connection/router/modem reset, is the checking of autoupdates being turned on for things like AVG, malwarebytes, Java/JavaScript, etc.......

I do know that AVG is a resource HOG, and that having TeaTimer and Spybot load at PC startup is bad as well..... if you or your Dad can afford it I would suggest getting ESET Smart Security 4 to handle all your Firewall, AntiVirus, Spyware & Malware needs......it is very LOW Resource /CPU use.....

hope this helps
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 09:41:19 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. Defraging computer right now (on my laptop now). There's alot of fragmented files! Gonna take a long time to finish. AVG had auto update on but Malware didn't. Will have too see if we can get that ESET Smart Security 4, sounds like it really help with a lot of things!

Gonna do pingplotter after it's done defraging. I've never personally done that before, so could you run me through a step by step if possible so I don't mess up this computer more than it is? (YA right! :rofl no way it could get any worse than it is now!)

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 01:32:11 AM »
Thanks for all the advice. Defraging computer right now (on my laptop now). There's alot of fragmented files! Gonna take a long time to finish. AVG had auto update on but Malware didn't. Will have too see if we can get that ESET Smart Security 4, sounds like it really help with a lot of things!

Gonna do pingplotter after it's done defraging. I've never personally done that before, so could you run me through a step by step if possible so I don't mess up this computer more than it is? (YA right! :rofl no way it could get any worse than it is now!)

Pingplotter is simple and free.  Download and install it and when you launch PingPlotter you will see in the upper left corner a place to stick in an I.P. address.  (it says "address to trace")

Put one of the following I.P. addresses in there and click TRACE in the bottom left corner.  (I tend to lower the 'trace delay' down to one second which is also in the lower left above the TRAACE button)

Early, Mid, Late War Orange Main Arena Server Address: 206.16.60.39
Axis vs Allies, Training, Dueling, Late War Blue: 206.16.60.41
Special Events: 206.16.60.38

PingPlotter will then trace from your computer to the I.P. you put in there.  (one of the 3 above)  The things to pay attention to are PL%, avg, and cur.

PL% is what % of packet loss you are getting on that particular hop.

Avg and Cur are the average and current ping time for that hop.

Look to see what hops are giving you problems like high PL and high ping times.

It really is easy and you shouldn't have any problem with it.

To post your ping here click EDIT and then COPY AS IMAGE to save it as a picture file.  Then upload it somewhere like Imageshack and post it here.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 02:52:14 PM »
Sounds simple enough, will do that now. Defragging seems to have helped a bit too, I went from an average of 20 FR's to about 30-35.

Here's Pingplotter image. Had a constant 64 ping the entire time, and 100 PL%
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 03:05:16 PM by Latrobe »

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 07:12:01 PM »
Here's Pingplotter image. Had a constant 64 ping the entire time, and 100 PL%
(Image removed from quote.)

is your Firewall blocking access of pingplotter? 

100% packet loss looks like nothing is getting past the firewall/router
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 07:57:40 PM »
is your Firewall blocking access of pingplotter? 

100% packet loss looks like nothing is getting past the firewall/router

Doesn't look like Firewall is blocking Pingplotter at all. Ran Pingplotter twice with firewall on and off and got the same results.